Decal Woes

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I brought the van home today to clean and sterilise. Very disappointed to see that two of the decals had deteriorated badly. Strange as all the others are fine.

798470B9-D8C6-4BB7-835E-24ACA8696E09.jpeg
B4BA77DA-088D-4DC8-A27B-FCF2C38C8396.jpeg

They had to be dealt with so out came the tools.

E7D9AEAE-696E-4393-9A11-78A5B6BE6B97.jpeg

After heating and peeling I still needed to work hard on the residue with sticky stuff remover and abrasive wipes. I really thought I would have to cover the areas with new, different decals. But the came up well. I am happy to leave it with the minimalist look.

30EB00D0-FCEE-4313-A7CC-2BF695199BB0.jpeg

John

Reactions: Kevin M and Mel
May 24, 2014
Visit site
We had the same issue on our very first caravan, a Swift Milano. It was only the Milano decal that peeled, so we just removed it and left it off.

Some years later, we picked up a newish caravan, that had been OK when we viewed it. When we arrived home on collection day, it was in a downpour, I noticed that the decals on both sides had lost their lustre in patched as if something had run down and stripped them. These were the long side decals and we insisted they were replaced under warranty. Im glad they were, as the replacement decal kits were frighteningly expensive.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I brought the van home today to clean and sterilise. Very disappointed to see that two of the decals had deteriorated badly. Strange as all the others are fine.

View attachment 1733
View attachment 1732

View attachment 1731

After heating and peeling I still needed to work hard on the residue with sticky stuff remover and abrasive wipes. I really thought I would have to cover the areas with new, different decals. But the came up well. I am happy to leave it with the minimalist look.

View attachment 1730

John
Looks fine in minimalist mode. Hardly caused by the blistering heat of a British spring though 🤭

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site

View attachment 1733
View attachment 1732

View attachment 1731

View attachment 1730

John
Looks Ok with the minimalist look ;)

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I've had a similar problem on the side decals of my 2013 Lunar Clubman - it's the side facing south-east when parked at home so I presume it's the effect of sunlight - I've peeled them all off from both sides but there's a hint of the colour left in the plain white paintwork

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I've had a similar problem on the side decals of my 2013 Lunar Clubman - it's the side facing south-east when parked at home so I presume it's the effect of sunlight - I've peeled them all off from both sides but there's a hint of the colour left in the plain white paintwork

Thats a bit of a worry for the future. The two that failed on mine looked different to the rest. At the moment all the other decals look fine. Mine came off the front surprisingly cleanly, (though quite hard work). I imagine that removing them off aluminium might be different and the paintwork probably ages differently behind the decals.

John

May 7, 2012
Visit site
This does seem to happen on some models and not others so why baffles me. It is purely a matter of personal opinion as to whether it looks better or not with the two missing but I would live with it. When our Argente needed a new back panel the one thing that could not be replaced was the large lions head decal on the back. We lived without it and the dealer who part exchanged it did not even notice it was missing.

Jun 28, 2021
Visit site
Well we have had the same troubles then mine on one side so I opted to replace both but trying to find original ones for a Abbey of age is from experience trying impossible time consuming job on old ones that have seen a lot of sun and rain as when peeling off kept breaking and leaving me with sometimes big or small bits I went with the hair dryer and soft cleaning cloth and sticky stuff remover too.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts