Declare Modifications!!!!!!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Reported on AOL today 2nd Feb 2015

"A vicar found herself in hot water with her car insurer, after adorning her people carrier with stickers bearing religious messages.

Rev Wena Parry paid £120 to have her Vauxhall Zafira people carrier decorated with "Christ must be Saviour" and "Christ for me" slogans.

"Every opportunity I have I want to tell people about Jesus. I reckon there must at least a million people who have read the texts on my car," she told BBC Wales.

However, the stickers saw Rev Parry threatened with having her policy voided, after she made a claim after thieves stole parts of the engine. The insurance company, Age UK, demanded to know why the stickers – deemed to be modifications – had not been declared.

Drivers are obliged to inform their insurer when altering their car from standard, though this normally applies to mechanical and electrical alterations such as alarm systems, larger wheels and performance enhancements.

Increasingly, however, car owners are finding their policies invalidated for more trivial reasons – most commonly for leaving their cars unlocked and unattended, for example when defrosting windscreens.

Rev Parry accused Age UK of religious discrimination. "There might be somebody within that company that hates Christianity," she said.

However, the company refuted the claim, telling The Independent: "The situation regarding Rev Parry's claim was in no way related to the Christian nature of her graphics.

"Our insurer concluded that our request to declare all modifications was not made clear enough to Rev Parry and therefore she did not know which vehicle enhancements should have been declared."

The company has now upheld Rev Parry's claim, settling at £735. It also waived the policy excess and outstanding balance as a gesture of goodwill.

Age UK's spokeswoman added: "While all car owners have the right to self-expression and place whatever they wish on their cars, we would urge all drivers to make their insurance providers aware of any graphics applied to their cars."

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
I thought there was to be a punch line....or April fools.
I polish mine with polish will it be to shiney....better ring the insurance company tomorrow :huh:

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Gagakev said:
I polish mine with polish will it be to shiney....better ring the insurance company tomorrow :huh:
I often despair at AOL who publish stories that are often months old - just to fill the space, but I don't think this one is 10 months old! :dry:

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
Gagakev said:
I often despair at AOL who publish stories that are often months old - just to fill the space, but I don't think this one is 10 months old! :dry:
my insurance is due end of month gone up 100% since last year. rang to ask why??? basically because I have now retired I will be using the car more!!!!!!!!!!!!,
spent a few hours looking for quotes one of the cheapest was age uk . but while filling in the form on-line there is no mention of stickers being a modification. tow bar yes, roof rack yes, bike rack yes. graphics no. no where on form to include them. suppose you have to ring to tell them.
"" oh by the way I have got two caravan stickers on my window will this make my insurance void""
yeah right, :woohoo:

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
Yep... I was going to replace my original equipment plastic tyre valve caps with metal ones from Halford's....
However as this may make my car more attractive to thieves and is a modification from the original specification then I will need to "tread" carefully especially as I was intending to fit them on 1st April..!
Regards to all
paws

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
"Our insurer concluded that our request to declare all modifications was not made clear enough to Rev Parry and therefore she did not know which vehicle enhancements should have been declared."

The company has now upheld Rev Parry's claim, settling at £735. It also waived the policy excess and outstanding balance as a gesture of goodwill.

Age UK's spokeswoman added: "While all car owners have the right to self-expression and place whatever they wish on their cars, we would urge all drivers to make their insurance providers aware of any graphics applied to their cars.
More confusion between the Insurer and The Broker , Age UK. :angry:

An Insurer cannot modify the policy wording once issued unless by written agreement by the two parties ie Insurer and Insured.

The Broker , Age UK spokeswoman needs to be very careful . Her statement is ambiguous and not in compliance with the "carriers" policy wording..
If she is correct , then every quote given by Age UK must ask about "Graphics". .. In your dreams :evil:

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
colin-yorkshire said:
my insurance is due end of month gone up 100% since last year. rang to ask why??? basically because I have now retired I will be using the car more!!!!!!!!!!!!,

I renewed my car insurance recently and the offered premium was higher than last year. When I asked why it was because I had retired - this is age discrimination. :evil: The insurance is based on annual mileage, so if you do no more miles then the premium should stay the same. I also took the opportunity to state that I was modifying the car by adding reversing sensors (they were in the modification list). One would have thought that reducing the risk of damage would reduce the premiums - no chance!!!

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Sir WC
You deserve a BAR.
Any Woosie who bashes his car reversing gets my vote
No doubt Her Royal Woosiness will decide if you are eligible.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dustydog said:

Age UK's spokeswoman added: "While all car owners have the right to self-expression and place whatever they wish on their cars, we would urge all drivers to make their insurance providers aware of any graphics applied to their cars.
More confusion between the Insurer and The Broker , Age UK. :angry:

An Insurer cannot modify the policy wording once issued unless by written agreement by the two parties ie Insurer and Insured.

The Broker , Age UK spokeswoman needs to be very careful . Her statement is ambiguous and not in compliance with the "carriers" policy wording..
If she is correct , then every quote given by Age UK must ask about "Graphics". .. In your dreams :evil:

Quite correct dusty,

But don't forget that each year you renew your policy, its actually a new policy :) so insures can sneak in new or modified clauses that way, even though you may think its just the same again. :(

It always pays to read that little slip of paper that falls out of your renewal notice, even though it written with such small print they could get four copies of the King James Bible (Other religious tomes are available) on it :S

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
To be fair to the insurers ,they are not stickers,the car has been signwritten using vinyl.When I had a van the premium was more if it was signwritten as it made it more obvious there could be something worth stealing.Is it just possible the thieves that stole the parts noticed or followed it after seeing the stickers

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
It seems that it depends who you insure with as to how much help you get. I recently renewed my car policy and had to change it as Mrs Keith is the main driver due to the fact she drives it all week. Had the assistant not asked the right questions, it would have gone through as normal.

Perhaps I should tell them I have a towbar fitted as it wasn't on the car when it left the factory but then again, how many have told their insurers??

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
I have, it was on the modification list!!

Kev

Perhaps I should tell them I have a towbar fitted as it wasn't on the car when it left the factory but then again, how many have told their insurers??[/quote]

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
trucker said:
I have, it was on the modification list!!

Kev

Perhaps I should tell them I have a towbar fitted as it wasn't on the car when it left the factory but then again, how many have told their insurers??
[/quote]

Hello Trucker,
It is certainly worth telling them about the towbar, because if you were towing and had an incident and needed to make and insurance claim you can bet your bottom dollar they'd kick up a fuss.

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
Our tow-bar is now recorded as a modification. Asked the advisor who promptly added it with no change to premium and new documents arrived yesterday.

Bit strange as last year, we rang said insurers (when we impulsively brought a folding camper :unsure: ) to make sure we would be covered towing home. They didn't pick up on the fact we had tow-bar then!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Keefanmaxx said:
Our tow-bar is now recorded as a modification. Asked the advisor who promptly added it with no change to premium and new documents arrived yesterday.

Bit strange as last year, we rang said insurers (when we impulsively brought a folding camper :unsure: ) to make sure we would be covered towing home. They didn't pick up on the fact we had tow-bar then!

I agree with you, But i think it stems from the wording in their policy documents which will say something to the effect the onus is on the policy holder to advise the insurer about modifications, they discourage their agents from making assumptions, Yet when it comes to making a claim it sometimes feels like they are assuming you are trying to fiddle them - now thats an assumption

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts