Declining number of new drivers?

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The added “problem” (or quirk I suppose) is that there are so many gadgets on cars now that sometimes differ between manufacturers. Electronic handbrakes, hill-hold etc. Even gear selectors on automatic cars can vary in design/operation. It was a lot easier learning in a manual Toyota Corolla back in 1986!!!!
Did you see that Ford Cortina MK3 pickup that sold for about £10k in Scotland not so long ago. It had the V6 engine?

Reactions: GaryB
Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
Did you see that Ford Cortina MK3 pickup that sold for about £10k in Scotland not so long ago. It had the V6 engine?
Yes, he’s a dealer who brings Fords in from South Africa, he’s had a few rare 3.0 V6 Cortina’s as well. Trouble is some of the South African “maintenance repairs” done on some of them over the years are a bit dubious!!!!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Yes, he’s a dealer who brings Fords in from South Africa, he’s had a few rare 3.0 V6 Cortina’s as well. Trouble is some of the South African “maintenance repairs” done on some of them over the years are a bit dubious!!!!
I was lucky to have driven the V6 one many years ago when they were newish on the market. Fantastic acceleration on tar. On gravel roads you had to be very careful due to rear end being very light. However I often drove the 1.6l which was quite quick for its day.

What many people do not know is that the original concept pickup vehicle was based on the Ford Corsair, but then switched to the Cortina body. It was a top selling vehicle in South Africa and everyone had to have one. Easy to repair.

Reactions: GaryB
Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
What many people do not know is that the original concept pickup vehicle was based on the Ford Corsair, but then switched to the Cortina body. It was a top selling vehicle in South Africa and everyone had to have one. Easy to repair.
Interesting, I didn’t realise that. I know the Corsair shares the mk1 Cortina floor pan, a friend has one with a 5 litre Ford V8 in it, it certainly shifts…..

IMG_7539.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: Hutch
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Interesting, I didn’t realise that. I know the Corsair shares the mk1 Cortina floor pan, a friend has one with a 5 litre Ford V8 in it, it certainly shifts…..

View attachment 5965
I had the above Corsair with column gear shift. A popular Ford conversion was the Meissner Cortina as that was extremely fast for its day. Look it up on the forum African Muscle cars. I think you will enjoy it.

Basil Green dropped the V8 into the Ford Capri and they were known as the Perana. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basil_Green_Motors

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I took, and passed my test in a Corsair. My Dads, as I hated my instructors Austin A40.

It was the the, or one of the first cars to have the eyball vents which could blow warm air. My test was in cold weather and hailstone. My window was open to do the obligitory hand signals. I remember looking round to see the examiner rubbing his hands in front of the vent. Perhaps that is what swung it in my favour.

John

• Haha
Reactions: Hutch
Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
Possibly the best option is to take the test and be added to a parents car, even if you drive very little
Unfortunately it doesn't work like that anymore. Insurance will be charged at the new driver premium so they may as well have their own car/insurance and put mum and dad on their policy.
It's a shame that the car is now the cheap part of the equation.

Mar 3, 2022
Visit site
Clutch control learnt riding a trials bike at around 10 years old.
4 wheel control including a bit of reversing with a fully loaded trailer on a Fergie T20.
Car driving from 12 years old on a disused airfield and up and down farm lanes.

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
All three of ours learned to drive from their 17th birthday. The eldest puts up with it as a necessary evil, and drives an EV as its the least possible hassle car to run. The middle one loves cars, loves driving and he is always planing what his first owned car will be, when he can afford one. The youngest drives the most (to and from work, and to and from partners) and is super switched on to life, costs, time and reward and wants an EV as soon as possible to be the easiest car to live with. Right now we run a 990cc Kia Picanto for the younger two (the car they learned to drive in) with zero tax and about £800 to insure including commuting. The youngest may have to wait until feb when they have been driving a year to get into a more powerful car (EV) just on insurance costs.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Unfortunately it doesn't work like that anymore. Insurance will be charged at the new driver premium so they may as well have their own car/insurance and put mum and dad on their policy.
It's a shame that the car is now the cheap part of the equation.
When our 22yr old grandson arrived last year from South Africa, he had a full iicence. We added him to the insurance on our 19976 Corolla and the difference was about another £220 for the year. The renewal cost was under £400, but by then he had his own car so we reverted back to about £140 per annum.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts