dedicated or generic wiring?

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I'd dispute that, at least as far as European and Asian originated cars go - although it's certainly true for cars/SUVs of American origin as they regard them unsuitable for towing and everyone should get a pickup for towing duty.
We have a Jeep which is an American car and it has a specific facility for towing.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Per comments #4 and #5, I would disagree with the latter. Some manufacturers require upgrades for towing. An example is a Skoda who do not homologate the vehicle for towing unless it was order new with towing fitment or factory fitment. This is because if towing is required they fit extra bits including oil cooler and more powerful fan system amongst other things. Look at the VIN plate and see if it has two weights at the top then it is homologated, but if there is only one it is not and it is questionable at that point whether you would infringe the Type Approval. Prof will be along in a minute to confirm or destroy my comment!

Curiously our Passat Estate 2L 150TDi is essentially the same as most Skodas but with a different body and VW do not impose such restrictions. I would not however that without an oil cooler I have seen the oil temp as high as 116C towing against around 95-98C as the solo temp!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Per comments #4 and #5, I would disagree with the latter. Some manufacturers require upgrades for towing. An example is a Skoda who do not homologate the vehicle for towing unless it was order new with towing fitment or factory fitment. This is because if towing is required they fit extra bits including oil cooler and more powerful fan system amongst other things. Look at the VIN plate and see if it has two weights at the top then it is homologated, but if there is only one it is not and it is questionable at that point whether you would infringe the Type Approval. Prof will be along in a minute to confirm or destroy my comment!

Curiously our Passat Estate 2L 150TDi is essentially the same as most Skodas but with a different body and VW do not impose such restrictions. I would not however that without an oil cooler I have seen the oil temp as high as 116C towing against around 95-98C as the solo temp!

I am quite surprised at your comments wrt Skoda. My 2014 Superb 4WD estate said nothing in the handbook wrt additional equipment being required to be fitted. Also in the various tow car awards going back some years I have never seen anything written about Skodas needing extra kit if not factory fitted/ordered. I am aware some BMWs required such equipment but Skoda is new to me. But looking on the web the owners forum is "alive" with postings, but they seem to affect later K series cars mainly. Mine Superb had nothing on its data build sticker in the boot and in 2014 I cannot recall seeing Superbs or Octavias with different front grilles to mark the additional cooling mods. Could it be that later models run their engines closer to the line? My Forester non turbo would go to 115 deg C on some occasions but it never set of a warning, but the Forester XT stayed around 105 deg C when towing. Engine was less stressed even though both were 2 litre petrol.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

In the UK and EU for vehicle that were manufactured and sold after the Vehicle Construction and Use regulations came into force, All tow vehicles must have a Gross Train Weight (GTW) value on their data plate. If the value given is zero or it is not given, the particular vehicle is not legally permitted to tow a trailer of any size braked or unbraked. All the values on the data plate are upper limits with no prescribed tolerance or upward allowance.

In the UK & EU any trailer with a Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM) exceeding 750kg must have brakes fitted

Where a GTW value is stated, then the combined measured weight of the tow vehicle and trailer must not exceed the GTW value.

In most cases the vehicle manufacture will advise a practical "Braked Towed Weight Limit" or towed load value. This in itself is not a legal limit, but exceeding it would most likely be deemed to be having and unsafe vehicle, which has no prescribed values to define its application. In addition Insurance companies are likely to deem exceeding the manufacturer's specifications as misuse and might use it to void insurance cover.

The method using GTW-GVW to calculate to give a suggested maximum towed load limit simple and effective way of establishing a legal towed load limit for any vehicle. But you have to also appreciate the trailers nose load will increase the tow vehicles axle loads so you must allow for it when loading the outfit.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Sorry Prof, I should have said it mainly applies starting from the Kodiaq and onwards - K series as you call them.
I have a feeling that similar applies to BMWs as well. Certainly there are a couple of BMW saloons (and an estate?) that are not homologated although I have a faint memory that most were coupes.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Sorry Prof, I should have said it mainly applies starting from the Kodiaq and onwards - K series as you call them.
I have a feeling that similar applies to BMWs as well. Certainly there are a couple of BMW saloons (and an estate?) that are not homologated although I have a faint memory that most were coupes.

Think it was my post #28, that you are referring to. How did we get onto towing limits, GVW,GVM, homologation etc from towbar wiring. Was it to get Prof busy ?

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
This is one of the few good things about Range / Land Rover products

Full towbar wiring is delivered to two plugs behind the rear bumper. Just plug a kit into those - doesn't get any easier than that !

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
This is one of the few good things about Range / Land Rover products

Full towbar wiring is delivered to two plugs behind the rear bumper. Just plug a kit into those - doesn't get any easier than that !
Unlike most brands' "management" cars, JLR are quite happy for employees/pensioners to order LR/RR vehicles with a towbar fitted - which is left on when the cars are sold by dealers as "nearly new".

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Unlike most brands' "management" cars, JLR are quite happy for employees/pensioners to order LR/RR vehicles with a towbar fitted - which is left on when the cars are sold by dealers as "nearly new".
I will have to get my son to look into that, he works for JLR,
He was miffed the other week, picked up a pool, Discovery Hybrid to travel to Liverpool, and it had not been charged over night, Fuel consumption was 25mpg for a round trip of 250 miles.
But back to wiring. !!!

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
My Santa Fe , 2014, has two dedicated ,towing fuses in the main Fuse box, so obviously it ready for towing electrics. When I hook up the caravan, the Rear fog lamps and reversing light still operate. So NOT a smart system.
But still a great tow car..

Reactions: Jcloughie
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
My Santa Fe , 2014, has two dedicated ,towing fuses in the main Fuse box, so obviously it ready for towing electrics. When I hook up the caravan, the Rear fog lamps and reversing light still operate. So NOT a smart system.
But still a great tow car..
From my time as a 2011 Santa Fe owner and mispent time on international forums, the models sold in the UK, built in Korea, always included "towing preparation equipment" including automatic transmission fluid cooler whereas models sold in USA, built in USA, didn't include it unless ordered as an extra-cost item.

Reactions: Hutch

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts