Dehumidifier design

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

I'm a product designer working for a UK manufacturer and my latest project involves the design of a dedicated caravan/boat dehumidifier. We are currently generating concepts. I would appreciate any feedback from your experiences on features that you would find important in our final design.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
In my opinion, dehumidifiers are pointless in a caravan. In good condition a caravan won't get excessively damp anyway. In poor condition, ie faulty sealing, a dehumidifier will dry the air inside but this will just be replaced by damp air from outside. The machine will be trying to dehumidify the local atmosphere - a waste of energy!When absolutely necessary, domestic dehumidifiers work well.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I find myself in complete and utter agreement with Roger!!!...there is to much fixed ventilation in caravans for deum's to have any useful function. Further, a 'damp' van needs more than a deum to cure it's problems...

a van in good order can only suffer from the relative humidity of the day.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I support Roger's comment. My caravan has been standing out in the open for 13 years and is none the worse for wear. The only situation where I would have found a dehumidifier useful is immediately prior to using the caravan during particularly wet periods in cold weather. On all other occasions, if necessary, an hour or two's heating before setting off has been adequate to cope with clearing any damp air inside.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just to say I've never used/felt the need for one in any of my 'vans, and agree with others that good ventilation is the best answer. However, some people do use them in caravans - so main points would be basics such as weight/size/power consumption/noise level. There are already purpose made air con units for caravans that do have dehumidifiers built in, so not sure if any kind of permanent installation option is worth considering. If people like the idea of a dehumidifier having an automatic function whilst the van is 'stored' (providing power is available), then an external drainage option would be necessary. hope this helps ! Richard

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi,i do from time to time use a dehumidifier in the caravan.you can feel the difference when you go in.most of the time when not used i have 3 large bowls of salt on the floor.i agree also that left for long periods you would be pulling in fresh air from outside to dehumidify.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'd consider one if it ran on 12v, had a timer on it and had a facility for drainage to the outside - maybe through a floor vent. We live a way away from our storage site and a 30 mile trip to drain the moisture traps .....pain... moan...etc

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts