Delaminated Floor repair - good to go or avoid?

Sep 4, 2019
Visit site
Hi All,
This is my first post, although I've been a reader of this forum for a couple of months now, having purchased my first caravan back in May (Lunar Clubman SI 2015) and have learned a lot from the great experience you all have.
However, one topic I cannot seem to find much info about is the following, so am hoping that you can help.
A friend of mine loves our Lunar layout and the style of the caravan and wants to buy one also.
Having found a 2016 model in her price range, I've asked many questions to the private seller and have found out that it underwent a de-laminated floor repair (from underneath) in 2018 under warranty, carried out by the caravan dealer prior to their own purchase. Apparently the floor is still OK (although I've not yet viewed it).
So my question is, having seen a few debates on Lunar floors de-laminating, should this caravan be avoided, as it is likely to happen again in another part of the caravan, or once repaired, should it now be as good as any other caravan (or even better, as it is less likely to happen again)?
I appreciate I'm probably asking for you to consult your crystal balls here, but does anyone have anything positive to say about such repairs? I can only find negatives, hence we are quite wary of going ahead with this purchase.
Many thanks.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Tourer-Jez said:
Hi All,
This is my first post, although I've been a reader of this forum for a couple of months now, having purchased my first caravan back in May (Lunar Clubman SI 2015) and have learned a lot from the great experience you all have.
However, one topic I cannot seem to find much info about is the following, so am hoping that you can help.
A friend of mine loves our Lunar layout and the style of the caravan and wants to buy one also.
Having found a 2016 model in her price range, I've asked many questions to the private seller and have found out that it underwent a de-laminated floor repair (from underneath) in 2018 under warranty, carried out by the caravan dealer prior to their own purchase. Apparently the floor is still OK (although I've not yet viewed it).
So my question is, having seen a few debates on Lunar floors de-laminating, should this caravan be avoided, as it is likely to happen again in another part of the caravan, or once repaired, should it now be as good as any other caravan (or even better, as it is less likely to happen again)?
I appreciate I'm probably asking for you to consult your crystal balls here, but does anyone have anything positive to say about such repairs? I can only find negatives, hence we are quite wary of going ahead with this purchase.
Many thanks.

Normally the repairs are very effective. I guess the problem could be uncertainty as to where it may occur elsewhere in the van. The areas most susceptible are those areas where there is heavy footfall. Ie entrance or around cooker/ sink. You could check with Lunar owners club too.

Sep 4, 2019
Visit site
Thanks otherclive.
Good idea on asking the same in the Owners Club... will do so.
Uncertainty about it happening again (i.e. the effectiveness of the repair) or occurring elsewhere is certainly the only thing stopping us from buying the caravan.
I've seen some nightmare posts and videos where the floor is not only de-laminating, but the whole floor moves when walked on (including the base layer), and some say this is because of the weight saving methods (lack of support) used by Lunar which (allegedly) doesn't always provide adequate support.
My own Lunar seems to be fine though and i doubt there is much difference in the floors between my 2015 and this 2016 model my friend is contemplating.
But if there have been no damp issues with the caravan and the floor design is the same, I'm still puzzled as to why de-lamination happens in this relatively new caravan?

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
If the repair has been carried out properly (and I suspect that it has), if everything else with the caravan fits the bill, then it wouldn’t out me off. Bizarrely, properly repaired delaminated floors are often better than the original (I’ve had experience over the years).

The delamination in Lunar floors happens when the internal core sheets are ground to a powder within the floor construction, hence the “spongy” feeling when you walk on the affected area. It may start from a trapped air bubble within the core sheet which gradually gets ground out until a much bigger hole appears, or it might start from the edge of a sheet. There can be all kinds of reasons.

One of the reasons why Lunar did have issues with floors delaminating (something that most manufacturers managed to sort out years ago) was due to the way that they stored the core sheets for the floors. I was told this more than once by Lunar themselves. They kept them outside in sunlight, and the UV affected the sheets at the “top of the pile”, and caused them to degrade. Initially they used them in the floor construction, but once they’d started to have issues with delamination they discarded the top sheets which saw a drop in delamination occurring.

As has been mentioned, Lunar also didn’t put as many strengthening spars within the floor construction which didn’t help matters, and of course (again, mentioned above) the worst affected areas for delamination are those that are most heavily used - entrance area, and usually around the kitchen.

The last caravan that we had delamination was a 2010 Lunar Clubman SE which went in the kitchen area. This developed in 2014, and the caravan actually went back to the factory for repair. This was done in just the same way that a dealer would have done, i.e. from underneath, and other than seeing fresh paint/protection under the floor, you’d never have known.

Mar 8, 2017
wandering.me.uk
Perhaps the delamination problem occurs due to the weight of the occupants?

I brought a 2012 Lunar Clubman SB with a delaminated section of floor between the door and the oven position, knowing that a repair was a simple matter. I could have insisted that the dealer made the repair in spite of their insistence that it was normal but I decided to undertake the repair myself!

It transpired that the problem was due to a joint between the top sheets of ply not being supported by a batten in the central core, the nearest batten being about 30 cm away from the joint.

I reenforced the floor using the dowel and resin method from the top at a modest cost in time and material, including lifting and welding the vinyl floor covering.

So far the repair has satisfactorily withstood the rigours of more than a 150 days touring.

If the defect had been due to a defect in the bottom load bearing ply sheet I would not have purchased the caravan.

Sep 4, 2019
Visit site
Thanks for the detailed info and replies Nigel and Dodger524. You've answered my questions and concerns very well. I now feel much better informed regarding potential reasons why this happens and that it should not necessarily be seen as a showstopper when buying a used caravan. Thanks Again :) :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts