delamination kit

Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
hi all got a small soft patch in the floor in front of the sink. can anyone recomend some where to buy the delamination
kit to repair the floor. ive looked on ebay but wanted to know if theres some where better. cheers mark.

Mar 11, 2007
Visit site
Hi Mark

You will have found many sellers of the kit on ebay but the one I ordered from and would strongly recommend is GW Caravan Services.
They sent full instructions by email, but I was still unconfident about the repair. One phone call to GW and their service manager talked me through the complete job. Good old fashioned customer care.

You may be able to buy direct by searching G W Caravan services on Google.
Brum

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
20 years ago i had an avondale which delaminated in exactly the same place.I drilled 6mm holes through bottom layer of ply floor laying under van and pumped silicone in each hole untill it started to come out of the next hole,these being 150mm apart. Cured the problem and was still good when i traded it in 4 years later.

May 15, 2007
Visit site
My Lunar Delta 2009 has got a badly delaminated floor and is going back to Lunar to be repaired. I asked how it will be done and was told "from under the floor" . If it was done from the top holes would have to be cut in the flooring which would never look right.

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Hi Graham - Suprised to see Lunar doing a patch up job on such a newish van.I had a nearly 3 year old Coachman with some delamination (see my blog from earlier in the year) dealer wanted to do a repair but when they informed Coachman they where told not to do it.Coachman insisted it went back to them for a new floor.Coachman implied to me that they did not think much of the impregnation method.I was without the van for a month and they had to take the back off and fit a new one also new electrics and plumbing fitted. The end result was first class and the van came back like new. If you are at the show next week I would make a few enquires and have a few words with Lunar.
Good Luck
Zackie

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
kenygee, I have a problem with our Swift Challenger 1999 model and I would be obliged if you could let me have more information on how you did the repairs ie,did you go under the van or from inside?
How many holes did you need and how much depth,do not want to go straight through the floor!
were did you get the adhesive? As many details as possible please.
Thank you
Bob

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Hi we had an old vanroyce caravan with a spongy floor.
I started by taking the carpet out then marked the floor in a diamond pattern with marks every 6 inches apart.
Then using a 6mm drill, drilled through the top layer of the floor only at the given six inch marks.
started injecting the floor at the furthest point until the fluid came out of adjacent holes then plugged the hole with a 6mm dowl rod.

Continued until all holes filled and plugged.

covered the floor with newspaper and put some wooden planks across the floor with some bricks as a weight to hold everything down and left the van for 24 hours.

when re entering took out the bricks planks and newspaper. sanded down and protrusiions fron the wooden dowels.
Replaced the carpet.
the floor is now solid and good as new.

Hope this helps
Cheers
John

Mar 11, 2007
Visit site
The whole job is easier to do than it sounds.
My dowels were 8mm so 8mm holes were made about 6" apart, it's not that important. The suprising bit is when you inject the gunge into an hole and watch it appear from man adjecent hole, that's when you reliase how hollow the floor has become as the original filling has failed.
Only difficult job is removing the carpet but it may be an ideal time to replace with either a new carpet or with a new vinyl covering.
As I said earlier, GW Caravans sell the whole kit for about 23 quid and will email instructions and give over the phone help if needed.
Regards
Brum

Mar 29, 2005
Visit site
De-lamination.

Frightening? Not if you set out your stall and take your time.

This is not a two hour job as stated. When you have finished, you will know why they charge so much at the caravan repair shop.

I have just done my caravan a few months ago. The floor had gone in two places, next to the door entrance and next to the sink four feet away.

You will find that de-lamination is where the floor is used most .i.e. next to the sink and the door entrance.

First decide how much de-lamination you have, ie.2 feet (old school) or 6 feet, and check underside for gas pipes before starting..

This size of the de-lamination is required when you order your epoxy resin mix.

One mix will cover about 3 feet by 3 feet. I bought mine from Barrons - £25 for both tins.

You will also need a large syringe to inject the mixed epoxy resin. Barrons sell this also.

The glues are called Apollo 1 and Apollo 2 I think the code is A8136.

The small tin is the hardener and must be used in the time stated on the tin.

I will go through the steps best I can.

You will need:

A sharp 10mm drill

Some 10 mm round wood to cut and plug the holes, (sold in 6 foot lengths). This needs cutting into plugs, half inch long and sanded down at one end to make insertion easier

You need to:

Remove all carpets or lino.

Tape up all joints and the cowls under the caravan. Use a good tapeline brown 3” wide packing tape.
If you don’t the glue will run through the seams. (You will not know until you see a pool of glue on the path. So this is a must),

Support the floor under the van in some way so it cannot bend when pressure is placed on top.
Do not push up the floor. You can damage the fittings inside.
Use wood blocks stacked up just touching the floor on the underside in the same place as the
de-lamination.
Drill a test hole. Find a place that has no gas pipes on the underside.

Slowly drill one hole until it only just touches the plywood at the bottom. DO NOT DRILL THROUGH.

Tape up the drill at this depth, use plenty of tape to stop the drill going deeper than it should.

Mark out the area of de-lamination using a black marker, in a square grid pattern of 4 inch.

Drill to the grid pattern. When finished you will have a large square full of holes to the size of the
de-lamination. I.e.: 3 x 3 feet.

Clean away all and any dust or shavings.

Have a large polythene bag ready to put over the square; the glue does not stick to polythene.

You will need:

A tin or old pan large enough to hold the mix of glue.

A clean strong stick to stir the mix.

Only mix what you need within the time allowed.

Start at the rear end injecting the holes one by one until the glue flows out, then plug with the wood plug.

When finished, place the polythene bag over all the holes.

Put a heavy weight on top i.e. wheels and tyres or gas bottles. Leave for 24 hours to dry.

Open all windows to ventilate the caravan before starting the final tasks.

Protective clothing (masks and gloves) must be worn at this stage.

Sand down all plugs until smooth. Replace flooring.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I agree that if you take your time it's not really difficult to do, I did my Avondale successfully and used exactly the same system as posted on here but I did it using no nails rather than the epoxy glue, been done now for 18 months and still solid, one thing I would say is I'm not sure if all caravan floors are the same thickness so when I did mine I drilled through the top ply and then simply pushed the drill through the insulation foam that's between the layers, you can then poke something in the hole to see what length you need to cut your dowels, be a shame to cut them all to half inch and then find out they are too short.

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Thank you all for your advice and instructions.I feel more confident in doing the job myself.
Just got to wait for a good dry day.
Thanks again .
Bob

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Thank you all for your advice and instructions.I feel more confident in doing the job myself.
Just got to wait for a good dry day.
Thanks again .
Bob

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts