Delivery Charges

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We are about to take delivery of our new van (Abbey Spectrum). When we placed the order a couple of weeks ago the van was built and at the factory, and the dealer assured us that there was enough time to get it delivered for our holiday (now in a weeks time. Because there aren't enough vans due delivery in our region the only way that we can get the van delivered this weekend is to pay an extra delivery charge to take account of the empty space on the low loader. My dealer is therefore driving to Hull to tow it down today.

I therefore asked how much my delivery charge would be reduced and was told that this would still have to be paid - the charge applies even when swift haven't delivered.

When I bought my car last year I didn't pay to have it delivered, so why does this apply to caravans? I realise that this is all built in to the purchase price of a car, but in the case of a caravan, this is a specific itemised charge, for a service which I do not receive - and my dealer in particular is taking an additional financial hit just because the caravan supplier is unable to deliver from stck in a reasonable time.

Jan 8, 2006
Visit site
It is is just another dealer rip off.Asked them if you can go and collect it yourself. I know what the answere will be. J.Lo

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
I too think a hefty delivery charge as now standard, is just another rip-off. After all if dealers didn't have caravans they would have nothing to sell and no business, so this cost should not be so great.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
From how I understand Mikes posting is it isn't the dealer that's ripping him off but the manufacturer. They seem to be charging him the delivery cost although they aren't actually delivering the caravan. Is this correct?

If it is I would be taking it further to someone like trading standards.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
From how I understand Mikes posting is it isn't the dealer that's ripping him off but the manufacturer. They seem to be charging him the delivery cost although they aren't actually delivering the caravan. Is this correct?

If it is I would be taking it further to someone like trading standards.
Yes - The dealer is telling me that the manufacturer levies the charge, even though they haven't delivered. The dealer has collected the van today - which will eat into his profit I guess.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Mike G

Sadly I don't think you have any way or right to recover the delivery charge, even if the manufacture has not delivered the caravan. The reason is that you have placed your order with the caravan dealer. You will have signed a contract with the dealer where all the charges should have been displayed you have agreed to them by signing.

Provided the caravan is made available to you on the contracted date, and in the place you have agreed, then the contract has been fulfilled, and whether the manufacture delivered or the dealer collected has no made no difference to you.

The issue of the delivery charge is a matter for the dealer to take up with the manufacturer.

Should delivery charges be made? Well probably yes unless the end user actually collects the caravan from the manufacturer.. But should it be a flat rate? I think not. The further a caravan has to be delivered the more it costs, so realistically a mileage based delivery charge could be justified - however, that would disadvantage some makes if the delivery distance is large, so for equality a flat rate will still probably be levied by most manufacturers.

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
I have bought 3 new caravans from Chipping Sodbury Caravans , and i have never been charged for delivery, another thing i cant understand is when you buy a caravan in the Southeast of England with the dealers having higher ground rents and higher wages , yet the caravans are sometimes cheaper than places that have far lower ground rents and wages

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We also got our last two vans from Chipping Sodbury. My understanding is that the reason they don't charge a delivery fee is because they are quite close to the Bailey factory in Bristol and they collect the vans themselves from the factory.

Jog

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Mike G

Sadly I don't think you have any way or right to recover the delivery charge, even if the manufacture has not delivered the caravan. The reason is that you have placed your order with the caravan dealer. You will have signed a contract with the dealer where all the charges should have been displayed you have agreed to them by signing.

Provided the caravan is made available to you on the contracted date, and in the place you have agreed, then the contract has been fulfilled, and whether the manufacture delivered or the dealer collected has no made no difference to you.

The issue of the delivery charge is a matter for the dealer to take up with the manufacturer.

Should delivery charges be made? Well probably yes unless the end user actually collects the caravan from the manufacturer.. But should it be a flat rate? I think not. The further a caravan has to be delivered the more it costs, so realistically a mileage based delivery charge could be justified - however, that would disadvantage some makes if the delivery distance is large, so for equality a flat rate will still probably be levied by most manufacturers.
I actually wasn't that concerned about not paying the delivery charge. I had negotiated a deal and was happy with what I was paying. The dealer has incurred additional costs, and took a risk that there wouldn't be any mishaps during the transit (a risk that the delivery agent would have taken on) so that I would get my van in time for the holiday.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
The PDI is supposed to be included in the delivery charge but the dealer never seems to do a PDI anyway hence all sorts of quality issues arising.

Jan 6, 2008
Visit site
Mike

You think thats bad. When you have to have the first service to keep the warranty up your in for another shock. I am just about to have the first service on my caravan. I wish I had never purchased a new caravan its just one big ripp off from start to finish. I had a old sprit and always looked on with green eyes at new caravans. Last your purchased a new Bailey Ranger great van but its all the hidden cost it just seems to go on and on does not end.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Mike

You think thats bad. When you have to have the first service to keep the warranty up your in for another shock. I am just about to have the first service on my caravan. I wish I had never purchased a new caravan its just one big ripp off from start to finish. I had a old sprit and always looked on with green eyes at new caravans. Last your purchased a new Bailey Ranger great van but its all the hidden cost it just seems to go on and on does not end.
I am prepared for the "servicing" charge - our old van was bought new also. But that doesn't mean I'm happy with the charges. It's galling to have to pay someone to do a service when 95% of it can be carried out by the average handyman (or woman). My dealer does an up front pay for five years "deal" which protects against inflation which I am considering. On a postive note, I have managed to at last get my van insurance premium less than the car - due to the anti theft devices which come as standard with the van.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts