Jan 5, 2008
Visit site
We're thinking of going to Denmark next summer (2011)- 2 adults only - any suggestions on areas to visit or sites to stay at would be appreciated. Also any guides as to cost, etc (booze - food, etc).

Thanks

Steve

Aug 2, 2009
Visit site
We are off there in mid May. No plans as yet, but we have CC book and ACSI card/book and disc.

Pricewise, expect it to be a bit more than here, especially with the Pound being poor. We are travelling on to Sweden and then Norway, so are taking plenty of basics with us.

I would say, in order or cost, Sweden is lowest, then Denmark, then Norway.

We plan to stock up in Sweden.

Last time we were in Denmark, wine etc was not too bad. But why not stock up on the ferry?

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Maybe we will see you somewhere en route, Jennifer. We'll be leaving home towards the end of May and heading up north, through Denmark and on to Norway to arrive at the Arctic Circle on the 21st June to be there in time for the Midnight Sun. From there we plan to continue to the North Cape and back through northern Sweden and Finland to Helsinki. The return journey will probably take us via the Turku-Stockholm ferry through southern Sweden and back to Denmark again.

Aug 2, 2009
Visit site
That sounds like a lovely trip, it's many years since we were in Finland.

We went to Nordkapp in 2007, but the sun stayed firmly behind the clouds.

This year we are travelling north in Sweden till we reach the Arctic Circle, then crossing into Norway around the last weekend in June, heading for Bodo and my husband's family home, where we will stay for about 6-7 weeks, mainly to do some work on the old house, and to visit family.

Mid August we will head south again, ferry home from Rotterdam 13th September, so a bit of holiday and a bit of work.

Norway is expensive these days with their currency being so strong, and the house is in a remote area, which makes it even more expensive, so we are slightly apprehensive about food costs. Fuel will be pricey too.

If you spot a silver Volvo towing a silver-sided Sterling....that will be us.

Have a good trip!

Aug 2, 2009
Visit site
Reading your route again, I would not have thought that the direct route from Nordkapp towards Finland would go into Sweden at all?

Whichever way you go, be sure to pack plenty of midge repellent, the ones they keep up there are like helicopters!

OH's home is directly south from Bodo, so we will (hopefully) have a lovely view of the midnight sun over Landego from the dining room window.

Crossing from Sweden we will join the E6 south of Rognan and take off onto the coastal road over the Saltstraumen bridge, so will not be right into Bodo until we go to pick up our daughter from the airport, she is joining us for 3 weeks.

There will not be many Lexus/Dethleffs combos around Bodo, so you should be easy to spot!

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Thanks, Jennifer. I was using the Norsk Caravan Club Guide (the sites that accept the Camping Card Scandinavia) and both the sites that you mention aren't in there. The Bod

Aug 2, 2009
Visit site
The sites in Denmark and Norway do not seem to be so bothered about the Camping Card, it is mainly in Sweden where they use it a lot, but there seems to be 2 rival "groups" there too, one that insists on the card, and one that doesn't.

I think there is a booklet that you can get that gives ALL the sites in Norway.

It is only 4 weeks till we go now, I think I need to start looking at what WE need to get in terms of site lists!

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Lutz.. this may be of interest.

Norway has many tunnels and ferries as you would expect.

All ferries are charged by vehicle length and some tunnels are charged and some are not. These costs can mount up.

Disruption to routes can occur at anytime and can cause lengthy detours.

For instance I experienced a road closure due to a rockfall in a tunnel that resulted in a 75 mile detour.. All part of the fun!

The road surfaces are generally good but some are bad. I put this down to frost upheaval and damage. Be prepared to reduce speed accordingly on any bad stretches.

Campsites are very good and not crowded during June; even the remotest usually offer free wifi.

There is a visitor centre with a huge parking area on the E6 when crossing the Arctic Circle ...a must for a photo at the monument.

If you visit Flam make sure you use the E16 Laerdaistunneien... a toll free tunnel 24505 meters long through solid rock. It is quite a driving experience!

Alesund and Khristiansund and a drive on the Atlantic Road are a must.

Enjoy your trip.

Aug 2, 2009
Visit site
well, I don't know where we went wrong in 2007, but we never found any sites with free WiFi!

And OH, who is Norwegian, was pretty unimpressed with the facilities on some of the sites we visited. Especially the lack of dedicated grey water emptying, the lack of signage in general, and the lack of decent disabled facilities of the type provided by the Caravan Club.

Caravan/car combinations on ferries are charged at twice a car, or 3 times if you are over a certain size. Plus driver and passengers.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Jennifer ..I reported what I found on a 5 week visit in June 2009 exploring the greater part of Norway up as far as Narvik with a car and caravan.

The most expensive site I used was on the outskirts of Oslo and it was the worst we visited and it did not have wifi.

It did have some noisy Children playing football at 02.00hrs making the most of the 24hr daylight.

So I guess different experiences are possible!

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Which site near Oslo was that so I can give it a miss? We will be staying near Oslo for a couple of days because an old college mate of mine lives in Haslum which is just west of the city and we will be visiting him.

Aug 2, 2009
Visit site
Lutz, Has your friend got a suitable driveway? If so I would use it!

The sites in Oslo are recognised to be "national disgrace" by Norwegians, it has even been the subject of newspaper articles. So why they don't do something about it I really don't know.

There seems to be very few sites to the west of Oslo, and the ones there are are pretty far out. What have you found in the listings you have?

Aug 2, 2009
Visit site
Bogstad is the biggest site, and probably the best, probably also where the kids were playing football at 2am!

Eikeberg to the east is quite near the centre.

Both seem to have a lot of semi permanent residents, generally migrants who work in Oslo. This seems to be common in most larger towns.

We are hoping things may have improved since 2007, but will probably be avoiding Oslo and passing further east.

Apr 14, 2008
Visit site
I am currently in Denmark, at a site near Middlefart. Very pleasant and right on the seaside, Acsi card of course @ 15 Euros per night.

Diesel is 9.8 Kroner per litre approx, food in supermarkets seems mostly about the same as Uk, but a lot dearer than Germany where we have been for the last couple of weeks, although we just bought a tray of strawberries for about

Aug 2, 2009
Visit site
Just an update as we are now in Denmark. We are using both ACSI card and Camping cheque sites as far as possible.

Our fist stop was actually just south of the border in Germany, a CC site Kawan Mitte. Lovely site facilities, but watch out for the cost of electricity which was metered. There was also a "green tax", so for 3 nights, and 44 units of electricity, we were charged an extra 20.80 Euros. OUCH!! Quite how this sits with CCs supposedly including 6 amp electricity we are not sure.

We then moved on to an ACSI site in Esbjerg, Aadalens Camping, but because of the holiday week we could not use the card. 226 danish kroner per night all in, including a 10kr per head per night tax.

Our next stop was on the east side of Limfjord, Myrehoej Camping, a 13 euro ACSI card site. Despite the ACSI card rate including one shower per person per day, we were told we had to buy tokens for the showers. We used our own. At least there were no other extras.

Now we are at Sindal Camping, an ACSI card 15 euro site. Again lovely facilities, but again a charge for electricity. This time we get 4kwh per day included, but anything over that is 2.75 danish kroner (about 30p) per kwh, which is very expensive.

Unfortunately, 4 kwh does not go far in our van, we have turned off all our heating and hot water and are using a small fan heater on 1kw once the van gets too cold. We have an extra blanket over the duvet, and have taken the woolly bedsocks into use! There is a kitchen area with hotplates for cooking on (free), so we are using that, and there is lashings of burning hot water for dishwashing (also free) that we are making use of. Why not just make it more reasonable for people to use their own facilities?

The showers are lovely, but are operated by typing your unique code on a keypad, that gives you 2 minutes of hot water. We get 2 minutes each per day included, so not having used our "allocation" yesterday, we are hoping we will get 4 minutes of hot water today!

Otherwise prices are not bad. Diesel is anything from 8.30 to 9,70 kroner per litre, petrol about 10.70. Food is variable, a few things cheaper than at home, but most slightly more.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts