Designers giving thought to additions

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Why don't caravan designers allow for fitting audio visual equipment? Ok some do - when the van has a radio and speakers fitted, but not all do. In my first van I fitted a radio & cd and an autochanger. Come to changing and I had to replace the expensive setup with a cheap radio cassette. Next van radio and autochanger went back in and also a small DVD player that WH Smith occasionally sells. Once again a cheap radio replacement and I had to leave the DVD installed. So to the current van - a Bailey Series 5 Vendee. 'Ah' I thought - the centre panel between the front top lockers can be replaced, I can fit the radio cd and an in-dash DVD player in that and when I comes to changing the van I will simply take out the new panel with the units and replace it with the original, and I am in the middle of constructing the new panel now. My one big problem - where to put the speakers at the front for the radio. Come on now designers think of what people may want to put in their vans and allow for it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I am a car designer without a job soon!!! I can do it...

(I see Swift are looking for 4 designers) trouble is this is in North Yorkshire and I am in the south! I suppose I could always stay in the caravan!

However after 20 years of design I do agree with you, but do remember it is not always the designer who has the last say, it's normally the budget or his boss!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I am a car designer without a job soon!!! I can do it...

(I see Swift are looking for 4 designers) trouble is this is in North Yorkshire and I am in the south! I suppose I could always stay in the caravan!

However after 20 years of design I do agree with you, but do remember it is not always the designer who has the last say, it's normally the budget or his boss!
Yes, I very much take your point about designers not having the last say. I can remember speaking to Gordon Bashford, a senior designer at Rover and commenting on the SD1 in a slightly negative way. 'It was alright before bloody Leyland got their hands on it' he said. The frustration was very apparent. Trim a few

TRENDING THREADS