Desperate of Swindon

Sep 26, 2015
Visit site
Hello,
I've just joined the forum, looking for a new campervan I have a budget of £40k looking forward to many a mile of joy. but struggling to find in Wiltshire a new van, just moved from the north and no problem outlet's everywhere!

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Hi Delana. Welcome to the forum
A google search should bring up results & nearby counties. Here's a few to give you a starter
http://www.wiltshiremotorhomes.com/motorhome-sales.asp
www.tilshead-caravans.com/
www.m-d-g.co.uk/ (Dorset)
www.kpcleisure.co.uk/
www.somersetmotorhomecentre.co.uk/
www.westcountrymotorhomes.co.uk/
www.highbridgecaravans.co.uk/
www.chelstononline.co.uk/

Just to say I have no personal knowledge of any of the above, wrong end of the country for me.

Sep 26, 2015
Visit site
thank you for your help but the 2 companies close don't have a good selection for me the rest are to far away from Swindon great to buy but if things go wrong not handy.

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi Delana and welcome to the Practical Motorhome forum. I know it's still about an hour's drive away, but Auto Campers is just a trundle down the M4 from Swindon, so at least it won't be difficult to get to?

I hope you find something soon!

Sep 26, 2015
Visit site
Are yes But on my recent visit and demo the sales man left to go to the office from talking well about the camper van going through pros/cons we were ready to make a deposit but after 45 minutes waiting and no show we decided this is not a good guide to future service so we left, sale lost.. now you begin to see my feeling towards the industry

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Expecting a good sized motorhome dealer within 1 hour's travelling is expecting a lot in what is still a small industry. I accept that personal circumstances may dictate the need for a local dealer but I would urge widening the scope to 2 hours away if possible. My dealer is 90 minutes away on a good day. My last one was 2 hours away.

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
What Aspenshaw says is spot on,
No sense in buying just because the dealer is nearest too you. He may only have a limited selection of models. Even worse, if there is insufficient trade in the area, the dealers long term viability would be risky (& your warranty cover) . Then you finish up travelling much further afield to find A.N.Other dealer who covers your motorhome.
I think you may have to accept that it appears there is insufficient trade for a dealer to justify opening a sales unit in the vicinity.
Search for the make, layout, style of motorhome / campervan & budget

gjh

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
As Flicka says, location of motorhome dealers depends on sufficient trade. I had to smile at the statement "just moved from the north and no problem outlet's everywhere!" as I suppose if depends whereabouts in the north.

We live on Tees-side and our closest dealer (apart from one trading in very old vans) is half an hour away. We have seven (I think) dealers within an hours drive of home but as they are in different directions it takes two or three trips to get round them all. Apart from those one has to go much further.

I go with what others have said. Identify suitable vans and then plan a trip.

Graham

Sep 26, 2015
Visit site
I am afraid after the many apathetic, excepting, comments on the poorly delivered service of the motorhome industry I have decided not to purchase a motorhome.

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Sorry to hear that Del, but you may have made the right decision for you.
Your understandably strong views on customer service might have led to you not really enjoying the motorhoming life to the full. We often come across irritating examples, whether by dealers, converters, campsites or whatever, but tend only to start serious complaining if it comes to costing money or cancelling trips!
Best wishes for the future.

Sep 26, 2015
Visit site
I might add that I have been Tent camping for many years with great camp site service and was looking forward to something a little easier as my bones become more inflexible, your comments go to show exactly what I am driving at

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Delana said:
Thanks Kate but Danbury's is at least 1 hour away

I think you should decide what layout/size van you want/need. Look on line and then when you see something suitable go and have a look. Don't just go for the nearest dealer, as you have found in the south of England there are not nearly so many dealers around. Best bet would be go to the shows, even if you have to stay over , stay in a Premier/Travel lodge. Cheap enough You are thinking of spending a large chunk of money, so take your time. So if the dealer is 100/200 miles away , so what? Hopefully you won't have many warranty issues. (and often you can stay on site, while work is done)Better still buy a second hand van to start with. Try before you Buy , so to speak. You do not want to make a costly mistake, as once purchased, a new van will immediately loose value!! Many people have found this out, to their cost

Sep 26, 2015
Visit site
I spent some months investigating and viewing and made a decision went to 3 out let's and was (1) meet by no demo stock (2)about to sign on the doted line to part with money sale person left from demo van to go to the office after 45 minute decided this is not good service so left, (3) said possible 6~7 month's wait. If this is standard for the industry I am afraid this is not for me and some have said I have too High standards I don't think so I would not expect this of behaviour at any retailer,or am I on a different planet.
SO I HAVE DECIDED NOT TO BUY A MOTORHOME AND WOULD HIGHLIGHT MY PLIGHT TO OTHER'S

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts