Detachable towbar manufacturers, who to avoid?

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
I'm changing my car and need to sort a tow bar on the new one. In the past I've had fixed swan neck aftermarket and retractable factory/OEM tow bars, this time I'm going for a removable swan neck type. There are various manufacturers offering these (it's for an Audi A6 Avant) but I know from experience with my parents cars that some detachables are a bit fiddly to remove/refit. Anyone have a particular brand/design of mechanism that they recommend or any to avoid? Thanks

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
VW factory fit is Westfalia. I have had two on Passat Estates and have one now on a Karoq (all same chassis as your Avant-to-be). I have found them 100% reliable and if you find the right fitter they are competitively priced.

NOTE that you MUST write on the order form that you want the version with fridge wiring (to make it contractual) else they may fit one without. The cable alone which connects from the socket all the way to the fuse panel under the N/S end of the dashboard is nearly £100 on its own via a dealer.) My fit 18 months ago cost £760 - a dealer (who will probably use an outside fitter) would likely charge you over £1000.
Also make sure that they can update the ECU to tell it that a towbar is fitted. If the car has a large LCD screen on the Infotainment unit it will show a plan view of the car when reversing (assuming you have overridden the camera if fitted), but if the ECU has been updated the picture will show the car with an A-frame attached.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
Thanks, I'm looking at aftermarket than paying through-the-nose with Audi BUT I want it to be reliable so will go that route if needs be. My current Volvo has an OEM towbar and wiring which sometimes throws up fault messages so even OEM systems can be a pain! It's made worse by my two local Volvo dealers being nothing short of useless!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have had Witter and Westfalia detachable swan neck towbars and always found them to be okay. On my Superb Estate fitting and removing the towball was fiddly but this was more due to the cars relatively low rear end and valance. But that was unavoidable.

Reactions: GaryB
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
My local towbar chap fitted an after market Westfalia removable swan neck and 13 pin electrics to my VW.
No problems

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm changing my car and need to sort a tow bar on the new one. In the past I've had fixed swan neck aftermarket and retractable factory/OEM tow bars, this time I'm going for a removable swan neck type. There are various manufacturers offering these (it's for an Audi A6 Avant) but I know from experience with my parents cars that some detachables are a bit fiddly to remove/refit. Anyone have a particular brand/design of mechanism that they recommend or any to avoid? Thanks
There are a small number of reputable companies who have a long history of producing towing equipment. In the EU ( and UK) you must only fit a tow bar (the part that fixes to the tow vehicles body or chassis) and tow ball that has been approved for the vehicle its being attached to.

This does not mean they will all be the same and parts, and are interchangeable. but it should mean regardless of where purchased, it should work perfectly well.

I am not aware of any counterfeit products, but it would not surprise me there are some, but you are committing a construction and use offence if you fit an unapproved towbar and coupling device.

I advise you to only purchase form an established professional supplier.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
There are a small number of reputable companies who have a long history of producing towing equipment. In the EU ( and UK) you must only fit a tow bar (the part that fixes to the tow vehicles body or chassis) and tow ball that has been approved for the vehicle its being attached to.

This does not mean they will all be the same and parts, and are interchangeable. but it should mean regardless of where purchased, it should work perfectly well.

I am not aware of any counterfeit products, but it would not surprise me there are some, but you are committing a construction and use offence if you fit an unapproved towbar and coupling device.

I advise you to only purchase form an established professional supplier.
I'm fully aware of the type-approval process and type approved parts, however, I know from others that some detachable tow bars can be a pain to fit (needing to grovel around on your knees) or have fiddly locks etc, hence asking for comments from anyone using a "known" brand that has irritations regarding attaching them.

Reactions: Dustydog and Hutch
Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
Another vote for Westfalia detachable and 13pin electrics and he coded it in to my last car at my home for £500
Westfalia do seem to be favoured and I THINK Audi use them as an OEM offering. I'm waiting for a delivery date for the car so will be getting quotes as soon as that's confirmed.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Most towbars probably come from the same manufacturer and are then rebranded to whoever is selling them. It may not make economical sense to have a manufacturer for the different brands due to low volume?

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
Most towbars probably come from the same manufacturer and are then rebranded to whoever is selling them. It may not make economical sense to have a manufacturer for the different brands due to low volume?
It surprised me just how many different designs of detachable bars that there are, hence asking the question. I suspect that the detaching mechanism and possibly even the ball/arm itself is common between more than one model with the fabricated cross bar/structure being different. My step-father had one on a Kia Ceed and that was awkward/fiddly to attach/remove. I have an American tow bar on one of my classic cars and that is simply a box-section tube that slides into another larger tube on the hitch and secured with a pin and R-clip. It is easy but the clearances are massive and it rattles more than my sister in law.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
It surprised me just how many different designs of detachable bars that there are, hence asking the question. I suspect that the detaching mechanism and possibly even the ball/arm itself is common between more than one model with the fabricated cross bar/structure being different. My step-father had one on a Kia Ceed and that was awkward/fiddly to attach/remove. I have an American tow bar on one of my classic cars and that is simply a box-section tube that slides into another larger tube on the hitch and secured with a pin and R-clip. It is easy but the clearances are massive and it rattles more than my sister in law.
Those old V8s could tow anything. I remember and advert, perhaps Ford, where behind the car was a huge ball and chain. I never towed with mine, but it was great for drive in movies where you were charged by the car and we could get 9 inside the car and another 2 in the boot! LOL! :ROFLMAO:

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
With my VW the choice was not as wide as you may think.
The tow bar is now all part of the design and construction regs. In my case a major structural beam is / was removed and replaced with the tow bar equally strong designed beam , with all the built in tow bar bits. It came with EU Certification etc
Westfalia. And easy to remove and refix. Best knelt down

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts