Detachable towbar

Jun 12, 2022
Visit site
My key has snapped in the lock of my detachable, while on the south coast.

I could still attach the tow bar and travel home to the midlands.

my question is
Can I safely use the detachable tow bar without being able to lock it?

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Thankfully there are also a number of videos on YouTube with hacks to remove the stub from the lock. These include carefully using superglue to temp rejoin the key (without getting any excess in the lock) to sharpening the end of a glue stick and melting onto the stub, to bits of wire or buying a set of pick tools. Good luck!

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
If it helps, i snapped off the key in my old Smax towbar.

Was impossible to get it back out, so just left it alone. Didn't cause any issues, other than anyone could have removed it.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
A 4+ the lock helps with security and theft prevention
I think they would have a hard time removing our unlocked towball as it has a caravan attached to it. On our previous Jeep as I need not have keys for the unlocked unit, I simply left it in place for the 6 years that we owned the Jeep. No issue. I have never heard of one being nicked, but probably does happen very, very occasionally so nothing to worry about.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I think they would have a hard time removing our unlocked towball as it has a caravan attached to it. On our previous Jeep as I need not have keys for the unlocked unit, I simply left it in place for the 6 years that we owned the Jeep. No issue. I have never heard of one being nicked, but probably does happen very, very occasionally so nothing to worry about.
Our tow bar was very expensive would not like to take the risk of it been stolen

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
I would not invite theft by leaving ours in place unlocked whilst running solo, but would not have any integrity concerns towing with it unlocked if that was unavoidable.
The lock on ours ensures its securing pin can't be withdrawn, though I see no real possibility it would be withdrawn without physical involvement, towing or not.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
One other reason I’ve never removed my swan neck is the need to get on the floor to get the key in and turn the knob😜

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Always make sure I lock mine, not particularly for safety reasons, unlocked or locked it's safe.

Once I thought I'd locked it, so when I got home, spent ages trying to remove the ball, until I realised it was not locked in the first place and I was locking it thinking I was unlocking it.

Kind of.... You know what thought, thought. Thought he had blown the candle out, so he lit it to see.

:mad::mad::mad:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts