Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

we toured with a used fleetwood around france for a month last year to get a feel for vanning and are choice of new van is being influenced by the rather condeming fact that despite their availability uk vans like our leaky Fleetwood are not seen behind foreign cars.Dethleff were by far and away along with Hobby and Fendt the most popular so is the german car ethic seen in their vans as well and if they are that good why dont we see more write ups about them in the uk caravan press?

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
Hi Andrew,

After problems with several UK made caravans, we decided to buy a German Burstner van last year.

They are a little heavier than UK vans but that reflects in the sturdyness & quality in the build of their caravans.

You pays your money & takes your chance, but if you talk to any one who has owned a German van, most will tell you that they would never go back to owning a UK made van again

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Hi Graham,

I agree,my gut reaction is that not seeing one british built van behind any european car suggests they have a kown something,it is somewhat strange though that even though i take the caravan press the reviews etc keep plodding along heralding the latest uk van which looks just like the last one.

I think im going german!

thanks

andy

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Leaving any possible quality issues aside, the reason why you don't see British caravans on the Continent (except, of course, UK holidaymakers) is that very few UK manfacturers take the trouble to try exporting them. I believe a handful are exported to Holland but that's it.

Feb 7, 2007
Visit site
We tow a Swift built caravan with a french car. I think part of the problem is that it is very expensive to import a british built caravan to France as they have to have independent registration. We have just received our certificate and so far it has cost:-

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Andrew,

We decided on a Dethleffs for our first caravan back in 2005. It has been superb, went for the DL540.

Only problem is lack of dealers, we have to travel 120miles round trip to get service carried out by Dethleffs dealer to comply with warranty.

It would also appear that some on the intial dealers (Campbells for one) are no longer stocking them because Dethleffs refused to update models each year........ a welcome to the likes of you and I, but no reason for the dealer to charge a bit more for the very latest model.

As regards the product though it's first class and talking to other owners you will find they agree to.

You can find out more at wwww.dethleffsowners.co.uk

Regards

Graham F

Apr 5, 2007
Visit site
This year we went to the NEC show specifically to see German vans, Dethleffs and others. The only one there was a Hymer! I hope there will be some there in October.

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
Alex

We bought our Burstner at the NEC Oct 2006 from Camper UK, in Lincoln.

The service we get from this company is second to non. This my 7th caravan in 21 years & the first time that I have been made to feel like one of the family.

We have been back a couple of times to have extras fitted to the van that we felt we wanted after we picked up the van last March & going back later this month for its 1st service.

It is about 100 miles from our house but we stay on a small site near the dealers for 2 nights having the service done on our 2nd day, giving us the time to spend in the beautiful City of Lincoln

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
If Britsh manufacturers were to fit the necessary equipment required for registration abroad already ex-works, the additional cost would be minimal and certainly would not put them at a disadvantage compared to their Continental competition who have to do the same. No, British manufacturers are just too complacent about attempting to enter the Continental market.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
We've seen a lot of Dutch people with Swifts, Sprites, and Elddis of various ages and models - and they seem to like them because they are lighter in comparison to most continental vans. We had one couple who wanted to buy our Swift from us, on site (it's a continental model based on the Dutch Toscane, that they'd been looking for second-hand). You don't see them behind French cars though.

Jun 17, 2006
Visit site
We have owned a Dethleffs (Camper DL520) since 2005 and its build quality is superb.

We have actually just advertised it for sale though (not the caravan's fault!) but I am concerned that the lack of publicity of these good German brands in UK publications may restrict people's interest, although Campbells have told me that they are very popular second hand as they are rarely found.

If anyone is interested in buying a good family layout Dethleffs then let me know.

Mar 17, 2008
Visit site
We have owned a Dethleffs (Camper DL520) since 2005 and its build quality is superb.

We have actually just advertised it for sale though (not the caravan's fault!) but I am concerned that the lack of publicity of these good German brands in UK publications may restrict people's interest, although Campbells have told me that they are very popular second hand as they are rarely found.

If anyone is interested in buying a good family layout Dethleffs then let me know.
Hi Gill

I am looking for DL520, is yours currently for sale and if so where is it advertised?

Huw

Mar 30, 2007
Visit site
Hi Gill

I am looking for DL520, is yours currently for sale and if so where is it advertised?

Huw
Hi Huw

We have a DL520 which we are just thinking of changing for a new one. If you are intrested we are in Knet. Contact me at rus.harrison@btinternet.com

Russell.

Mar 30, 2007
Visit site
In reply to Graham F, I must correct him on a couple of his points.

1, You do not have to take the van back to a Dethleffs dealer. If you speak to Dethleffs to keep the warranty intact, the van has to be serviced annualy at any NCC approved workshop, hence most main dealers.

2, We were told by Dethleffs that Cambells lost their dealership due to their appauling aftersales service. Unfortunatley we had appauling service also from Cambells, but this was not the aftersales but the handover process.

As for the caravan, it is the best we have ever had, very solidly made and a pleasure to own. We are in the process of changing it and will definatlry get another one.

G

A friend who lives in Spain says that Fendt vans are used by travellers over there and some sites are reticent to take you because of that

I wanted to buy a Hobby but my wife said no cause she wanted a Swift,I wasnt too impressed with Eriba,but its all down to individual taste..

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
In reply to Graham F, I must correct him on a couple of his points.

1, You do not have to take the van back to a Dethleffs dealer. If you speak to Dethleffs to keep the warranty intact, the van has to be serviced annualy at any NCC approved workshop, hence most main dealers.

2, We were told by Dethleffs that Cambells lost their dealership due to their appauling aftersales service. Unfortunatley we had appauling service also from Cambells, but this was not the aftersales but the handover process.

As for the caravan, it is the best we have ever had, very solidly made and a pleasure to own. We are in the process of changing it and will definatlry get another one.
Hi Russell,

Did contact Dethleffs direct and they said no to NCC workshop and insisted must be "Dethleffs authorised dealer", so off next week to nearest dealer in Chichester who are motorhome dealers but are confindent they can handle a caravan!.

With regard Campbells this was the point they made to me, but as you say more than likely down to poor service.

Like you I agree they are a superb caravan which suits our needs superbly, we have looked at lots of others and nearly always remark " not built like a Deffy".

Regards

Graham

Jun 17, 2006
Visit site
Hi Gill

Huw
Hi Huw,

Advertised on ebay and Caravan Finder (sent you a message on ebay). Sorry for my delay in responding but only just seen your comment.

Gill

Jun 17, 2006
Visit site
Hi Huw,

Sorry for not responding sooner. Only just logged on to the forum again and seen your message.

The caravan is advertised on ebay and caravan finder. I've sent you a message on ebay.

Cheers.

Gill

Mar 30, 2007
Visit site
Hi Russell,

Did contact Dethleffs direct and they said no to NCC workshop and insisted must be "Dethleffs authorised dealer", so off next week to nearest dealer in Chichester who are motorhome dealers but are confindent they can handle a caravan!.

With regard Campbells this was the point they made to me, but as you say more than likely down to poor service.

Like you I agree they are a superb caravan which suits our needs superbly, we have looked at lots of others and nearly always remark " not built like a Deffy".

Regards

Graham
Graham

The info about servicing and NCC approved workshops came direct from Simon. He is the managing director of the sole import agents for Dethleffs into the UK. We have followed his advice and had a couple of minor warranty issues which have all been done without any questions.

regards

Russell.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts