Devon trip

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
Hi All
Really excited just booked for a couple of weeks at Ross Park caravan site in Devon - Aug this year. Has anyone stayed there and if so do you have any tips for visiting the area? Any access advice? Must do advice etc. Thanks

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Morning ,
the only advice I would give as if you were going that far depending where you are travelling from I would do it overnight as an over night drive as we done St Ives which isn't far from where yous are going and we did it factory fornight weekend when everyone broke up and it took us a 12 hours to get there with the traffic which should have been a 6 or 7 hour drive !! And that was from Sheffield thinking if we drove down the day before to split the drive up it would be easy!!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
jallin said:
Hi All
Really excited just booked for a couple of weeks at Ross Park caravan site in Devon - Aug this year. Has anyone stayed there and if so do you have any tips for visiting the area? Any access advice? Must do advice etc. Thanks

Tips for August in Devon? Don't go there.
We lived in Plymouth for three years and on Dartmoor for four years during various spells down in Devon. During holiday times we stayed well away from the tourist spots and spent time swimming and walking on the Moor. We didn't get any visitors during holiday season as we refused to join the throng.

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Ross Park is one of the best sites we have been to. No access problems, when we went they sited and levelled our van. Their flower displays in August will be good. We wanted some onion for a curry and the lady in the shop went out to their garden and picked us some.

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
Hi
Thanks Craig we are travelling from the Hope Valley (so not far from Sheffield) but we are spending a few nights in South Wales visiting family before so travelling from there to the caravan site.
Unfortunately we don't have a choice when we can take our main holiday - working in education it has to be in July/August - however fairly used to tourists living here!! Ha

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Nice place that. we were down at Castleton site a few years ago for the week . lovely place.
But for the time it took me to drive down there to Cornwall I would rather have driven through to france !!

May 7, 2012
Visit site
It is a good area for caravans although we have not been to that site. there is plenty for most people to do and I would use Google to look for the things that attract you. If you are setting off from friends in South Wales I would avoid Bristol during the rush hour as the motorway can be very slow indeed. Overnight might be a good idea if you feel up to it, but do be aware of tiredness creeping up on you if you try this.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Raywood said:
It is a good area for caravans although we have not been to that site. there is plenty for most people to do and I would use Google to look for the things that attract you. If you are setting off from friends in South Wales I would avoid Bristol during the rush hour as the motorway can be very slow indeed. Overnight might be a good idea if you feel up to it, but do be aware of tiredness creeping up on you if you try this.

The above advice is good although if you have ready access to the M4 an early start would avoid the traffic and then allow you a break stop near Taunton it Exeter before the queues firm in the services. Keep your fuel topped up too in case if any bug hold ups.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
jallin said:
Hi All
A great site. But be warned. The Rainmaster lives there. Make sure he is away during your stay :p :evil:

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Dustydog said:
A great site. But be warned. The Rainmaster lives there. Make sure he is away during your stay :p :evil:

2true DD !!
When we went down the other year we travelled down in red hot scorching weather and as soon as we started to pitch , it rained for 12 days , we got one out of the stay i think ! :(

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
Morning ,
the only advice I would give as if you were going that far depending where you are travelling from I would do it overnight as an over night drive as we done St Ives which isn't far from where yous are going and we did it factory fornight weekend when everyone broke up and it took us a 12 hours to get there with the traffic which should have been a 6 or 7 hour drive !! And that was from Sheffield thinking if we drove down the day before to split the drive up it would be easy!!

St Ives is 105 miles away :whistle:

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Gagakev said:
Craigyoung said:
Morning ,

So just a small rain dance then :huh:

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Dustydog said:
jallin said:
Hi All

I cant promise if I will be here or away, normally end of August we would be away, but no plans as of yet :evil:

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Gagakev said:
Craigyoung said:
Morning ,

You've seen me Hutch, like you i only have small legs!!!! :kiss:

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Gagakev said:
EH52ARH said:
Gagakev said:
Craigyoung said:
Morning ,
the only advice I would give as if you were going that far depending where you are travelling from I would do it overnight as an over night drive as we done St Ives which isn't far from where yous are going and we did it factory fornight weekend when everyone broke up and it took us a 12 hours to get therue with the traffic which should have been a 6 or 7 hour drive !! And that was from Sheffield thinking if we drove down the day before to split the drive up it would be easy!!

You've seen me Hutch, like you i only have small legs!!!! :kiss:

Ah but Great Power, Oh Rain God . :whistle:

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
jallin said:
Hi All

So Jallin, you have chosen the best area in the country :)
Not actually stayed there as it is less than 2 miles from me!!
There is loads to do but think as in previous post if you can give us some idea of your likes we can try to recommend places for you.
There is one must though when you come here Ye olde Cider Bar, dont drive though as some of it can be strong. looks like they dont have proper web site but the link is to a facebook one.
Let us know what you like.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Gagakev said:
Craigyoung said:
Morning ,

That's not that far man ! Its still down the bottom end !! :p
I just hope you have better weather than what we had !! B)

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Anseo said:
Gagakev said:
There is one must though when you come here Ye olde Cider Bar, dont drive though as some of it can be strong.

That looks like a great bar, would love to go there.

Every time I am dragged in there I'm on the lemonade..........I hate cider :lol:
Spent my 18th birthday in there a long time ago.... never touched it since :lol: :lol:

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Gagakev said:
Anseo said:
Gagakev said:
There is one must though when you come here Ye olde Cider Bar, dont drive though as some of it can be strong.

That looks like a great bar, would love to go there.

Every time I am dragged in there I'm on the lemonade..........I hate cider :lol:
Spent my 18th birthday in there a long time ago.... never touched it since :lol: :lol:

Ah but who supplys "The Buckfast" at the Woosie fests. :p

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
Oh my thanks for the advice! Bit worried about the rain now....... Fingers crossed because if it does rain for 12 days I will head home and book to go to my beloved Greece - ha!

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
We had a great holiday in Devon in the van a few years back, in spite of the rain. Lots of places to visit. We liked a place called Morwellham Quay which was an old port and copper mine. They demonstrated victorian industry stuff and rope making. I am into industrial heritage. It is near Tavistock. Tavistock had a good food market. I think it is known as a foodie town and they have food related events. I am also into food related events. :blush:

Whereabouts are you staying in South Wales. I am a Valleys girl and we take the van to Wales to visit the rellies; and to watch Wales at the Millenium stadium. :cheer:
mel

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
Hi Mel
Dad is a Swansea man and I spent so many childhood hols down there. Ah the Mumbles...... He is now in Carmarthen and so we are going to Pembrey Country Park for a couple of days before the Devon trip. He has been having Chemo so I am really looking forward to spending time reliving some memories and making some more. One of my biggest regrets ever was not making enough UCAS points to get into Swansea Uni - I love it! Went to Bristol instead and loved it but Swansea???

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Haven't been to Swansea in years. When I was a kid it was the nearest "city" shopping centre. We went about twice a year! Been to Pembray more recently, but at least 10 years ago. Really iked it. Must go again.
Nos Da.
mel

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts