Did towing cause this?

Mar 29, 2005
Visit site
We currently have a very light caravan (being our first) which we tow with a Toyota Carina (not the best - can't even get off a slightlydamp field as its a front whell drive!). The car has just ceased to function and the RAC said it could be th cylinder head gasket. Has towing possibly caused this if the car has been overheating?. It certainly doesn't struggle to pull the van. Funny we were just discussing getting a new towcar but can't decide what - perhaps this is the cars way of showing us its not happy!!!

Mar 27, 2005
Visit site
Hi Susan

I would think the addage of 'the straw that broke the camels back'probably applies here. Towing is bound to put a strain on most cars so if there is a weak point towing will soon find it.

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
HI SUSAN, i totally agree with martyn, towing your van will not have directly caused your problem but will allmost certainly have exagerated an existing one. your head gasket was probably on its way out anyway and towing has tipped the scales alittle quicker. fix it and sell it quickly.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Susan - Sorry to hear of your problems. The cylinder head gasket may well be the problem but in my experience this is one of the sayings from those that do a lot of "tooth sucking" and get you to think doom and gloom.

What are the symptoms?

If it is the head gasket then cooling water could be getting into a cylinder - if so you will see plenty of steam from the exhaust and the water in the radiator will need to be toped up regularly. Check the surface of the water in the radiator to see if you have oil in the water. You shouldn't have with a good engine so if you do it could be the problem.

The gasket could also have failed nowhere near a waterway and so you may get other symptoms such as an exhaust gas "blow" that can usually be heard as a "ticking" or "chuffing" sound.

Finally, it is relatively unusual for a blown head gasket to stop an engine from going. It may sound bad but Toyota engines are known for their ability to keep going! I stongly recommend you get it checked before having any expensive repairs done.

A good garage will have a test kit that allows them to test the cooling water to see if it has been exposed to exhaust gases. This will confirm one way or the other.

Hope this helps

Mar 29, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Clive.

My other half has been summoned to the garage at luchtime (oh oh) so we'll see. I forgot to mention that on Monday the car was in the garage having a new cam belt and new radiator fitted, plus new brakes and 2 new tyres -

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Clive.

My other half has been summoned to the garage at luchtime (oh oh) so we'll see. I forgot to mention that on Monday the car was in the garage having a new cam belt and new radiator fitted, plus new brakes and 2 new tyres -

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Susan

The Cam belt snapping would certainly stop the engine. It is this belt that keeps all the bits moving at the right time an in the right sequence. Whereas a leaking head gasket USUALLY just make the poor thing shed water out of the exhaust and sound asthmatic.

Often when it snaps much damage is done as a valve can come into contact with a piston. However some engines do "fail safe" but I do not know about the Toyota.

Good engines though - very strong - as long as you change the oil regularly and get them serviced.

However what can happen is water seeps into a cylinder bore and if it stays there, this can stop the engine because a gas can be compressed but a liguid cannot. So if the piston coming up in the bore is trying to squeeze water it will not be able to and so the whole thing stops. Normally the piston comes up, compresses the air and petrol mixture which explodes via the spark plug and this explosion forces the piston down which ultimately turns a shaft which goes onto turn the wheels.

The symptoms are very similar to snaped cam belt, which incidently should be changed regularly as per the handbook.

Did the engine not start one morning or after a long period of you not using it? The reason I ask is that it can often take a long time for the water to seep accross into the cylinder to such an extent that the engine cannot work. What usually happens is that very small amounts of water do build up but as long as the car is run frequently this is simply ejected out of the exhaust on starting. Starting can be difficult and a bit like a rather smelly sauna if it is done in a confined space.

I do recommend that you check that the garage has made sure that your cooling water is NOT contaminated with exhaust gases. This will make sure that the correct problem is being fixed.

Like Ray, I wonder why the radiator is being changed - it may need changing anyway and not be part of the problem.

When you collect the car make sure you rev it hard and check for steam in the exhaust. Then monitor the water level to see if it is falling. If it still does then you still have the same problem but the garage has got you to pay for a lot of new unessassary bits. Make sure they now that if it is not right you will be bringing it back.

INCIDENTLY - on this subject when I first had my caravan serviced I was told that my Fridge would not fire up on gas and that it would be about

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sorry Susan - misread your reply - I did not realise that the problem occured AFTER a new cambelt had been fitted - Sorry its Friday - I want to go home.

Ray is correct - It does sound to me like the tensioner has sliped and possibly the belt as well. This would throw the "sequence" out and stop the engine.

My point re the water in the cylinder would only be relevant if the REAL problem was the cylinder head gasket.

I will just go and have a quiet lay down

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
TERESA, The only data i have shows your car as having a kerb weight of 1204 kgs and a max tow weight of 1400 kgs, these weights are for the european spec car and may be slightly different in the uk but i would not think by much. hope this helps you.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Susan, I would question why the engine suddnly packed up JUST after having the cam belt changed. The simtoms sound just like a snapped or slipped cam belt and that can wreck an engine. I would not accept the further

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

Interesting this,,,engine electrics dont just pack up!!

not unless someone chucks a gallon of petrol under the bonnet...

You may get a component going down and @

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts