Diesel Engine Vehicle POWER increase by 20%?

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
I noticed an advert in a Caravan magazine for a device which supposedly increases your Diesel engined vehicle's bhp and torque by up to 20% ; and at the same time improves your fuel economy!!!! Using the old adage of "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is" I am deeply sceptical!!

The dealer said that my 1999 Mercedes C250 Turbo diesel could expect to go from around 150 bhp to 180 which would make a whopping difference; especially when towing. I mentioned that I had already done 125,000 miles and he said that those engines will easily go for around 250,000 miles.

Has anyone any experience of this device called a "P Box" ?

Oh, and the cost, around £350

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi John

Not sure about the product you mention, however I work in the tuning industry and diesels respond very well to chipping and reprogramming- much better than petrol engines. I had my last car (VW Bora 130BHP TDI) reprogrammed by revotecnic and saw the BHP go to 165 (it was switchable in car for boost and mid range too). Awesome performance and so much torque- a silver 4 door saloon would embarrass many a sportier car! I didn't tow at the time though.

I would check out the company online- ask around on forums as some products are better than others and all are at similar money!

I have the new Golf now and am getting that tuned too- be great for towing the Bailey I now have!

Aug 27, 2005
Visit site
we have a 2.2 CRD PT Cruiser and we chipped that ourselves earlier this year. As its basically a merceded engine John this should also work for you...

We bought an AMH booster from a guy on ebay Germany. he deals in second hand booster "Chips" and they work out at around

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
we have a 2.2 CRD PT Cruiser and we chipped that ourselves earlier this year. As its basically a merceded engine John this should also work for you...

We bought an AMH booster from a guy on ebay Germany. he deals in second hand booster "Chips" and they work out at around

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Hi John

Not sure about the product you mention, however I work in the tuning industry and diesels respond very well to chipping and reprogramming- much better than petrol engines. I had my last car (VW Bora 130BHP TDI) reprogrammed by revotecnic and saw the BHP go to 165 (it was switchable in car for boost and mid range too). Awesome performance and so much torque- a silver 4 door saloon would embarrass many a sportier car! I didn't tow at the time though.

I would check out the company online- ask around on forums as some products are better than others and all are at similar money!

I have the new Golf now and am getting that tuned too- be great for towing the Bailey I now have!
Paul; it sunds brilliant and too good to be true. Do I simply contact "revotecnic"? Thanks

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Paul; it sunds brilliant and too good to be true. Do I simply contact "revotecnic"? Thanks
Yes- have a look at www.revotechnik.com

The system is undetectable by the dealer as there are no added parts- its all done through the diagnostic port in the car. My VW dealer was so impressed with my car when in for service that they had their demo done too! Forgot to mention that I also saw an MPG increase!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Chipping works on most petrol and diesel cars- we have done a test on a Peugeot diesel against a 2.0 petrol using a superchip. Both saw gains- but the petrol was only 5-6 BHP where the diesel was 20+. I would have a look at the superchips website or other similar products as, yes it would work on your Mondeo.

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Yes- have a look at www.revotechnik.com

The system is undetectable by the dealer as there are no added parts- its all done through the diagnostic port in the car. My VW dealer was so impressed with my car when in for service that they had their demo done too! Forgot to mention that I also saw an MPG increase!
Paul; this looks a bit performance car orientated for me?! I wouldn't have clue where to start. Any steers would be helpful for my old'sig C250 Turbodiesel ?! Thanks again

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If it really was this simple don't you think the vehicle manufacturer would have already done it? Their sales outlets would love to sell cars on the basis of higher power output!

The main downside of chipping is engine reliability so ALL guides to buying second-hand cars advise avoiding chipped vehicles like the plague.

I suppose that those dishonest enough to chip their car and NOT tell their insurers and / or employers and / or lease company will just as easily deny chipping to a prospective purchaser.

Mar 27, 2005
Visit site
Totally agree with Roger. Be very very careful, Yes they do work some better than others. Reliability is the watch word. Some of the chips are sourced from very dubious suppliers and are far from reliable.( I to worked in the tuning game for many years). An unreliable chip can prove very expensive when your tow car comes to a grinding halt late one Sunday night on the way home with a van stuck on the back. As someone with experience in this field I personally would think long and hard before having one fitted.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Chipping works on most petrol and diesel cars- we have done a test on a Peugeot diesel against a 2.0 petrol using a superchip. Both saw gains- but the petrol was only 5-6 BHP where the diesel was 20+. I would have a look at the superchips website or other similar products as, yes it would work on your Mondeo.
they would not work on a 1.8td mondeo of 98 vintage, missleading information

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
if there is a warenty issue the ecu can be read to check the history and performance so to just unplug it so the dealer does not know about it. not true.i am a diesel engineer/30 years experiance and have come accross this issue before and it can be very costly as the claim was rejected

Jul 14, 2005
Visit site
You may be surprised to know that vehicle manufacturers do know about re-programming engines and have been doing it for years, The Freelander Td4 is a good example with the 2litre BMW engine. The same engine used in BM's but with a higher output.

If an engine manufacturer put out an engine with max power they would have to redvelop or make bigger engines for all models

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Thanks 'Monkey's mate' (?!); reliability is very important. So, if you are sugegsting that by implementing the P Box I will seriously reduce my reliability, then that is something to be warned of. However, Martyn suggests that they are perhaps inherrently unreliable?

"Isn't 150bhp enough?" Well yes, when driven solo; but with my Bailey Senator on the back I do fid it hard to maintain even 55mph along some of the mortorway longer gentle climbs.
John,

Firstly "Monkey's mate' is the other half. (She isn't always the most knowledgeable one when it comes to compression ratio's etc). Secondly I'm NOT suggesting that "by implementing the P Box I will seriously reduce my reliability" as we use a chip on our main tow car - a VW Sharan. It's been a positive experience so far.

However I would choose wisely. I viewed and spoke with a few suppliers and had a positive -experience with one. For me it was two things; recommendations on "Honest Johns" Forum on the Daily Telegraph website (real petrol-heads and the faintly interested) and that a company who is willing to put a feedback page and publish it on their own website is probably a good one.

I Can Understand that with a Bailey Senator on the back an extra say 30 bhp would make the journey more comfortable.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts