Diesel Faults and Diesel Tuning

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi, I do performance and emissions testing of engines for an engineering consultancy, who in turn work for just about any OEM you could mention. If you're interested check out my company on www.ricardo.com

Readers of diesel car magazine may well have heard of us on many occasions in that magazine's technical features.

For those of you into diesels and powerbox/tuning devices etc, its true that OEM's leave a fair bit of slack in the final tune or calibration as we call it. They have to, as they try to have just 1 ecu calibration for a world market. Cost! Also in the latter stages of development we run best and worse build engines (tolerance testing) on the "world" calibration, so this has to be robust enough.

I have been reading some of the posts about these tuning boxes and maybe I can help clear up a few myths. For manual cars with lower peak torques than their auto equivalent, due to transmission max torque rating, I would think that fitting a tuning device may not be a problem as in such engines that I have worked on, the ecu knows what gear the car is in, and a fuelling map for each gear can be incorporated if required, which will limit max fuelling regardless of airflow (the way I believe some of the less advanced of these devices work - by making the ecu think the airflow is higher than it really is and hence allowing more fuel). Its usually only 1st and 2nd that the transmission may have problems with anyway. For example with the Rover 25 if I recall correctly we set the fuel maps to limit to 210 Nm in 1st and 2nd and 240Nm in all other gears. Manufacturers data probably just quotes the 240Nm but in the car in the lower 2 gears you would never know you were 30Nm short!

If you have a poor performer after checking air filter, boost hoses are still connected etc. its usually well worth looking at the air flow meter as these like all components have tolerances and you'd be amazed how a duffer can cost you 20-30% power/torque. If you have a mate with the same car ask if you can try fitting his temporarily. Its not a hard job, usually just sitting in between a couple of pipes held in with hose clips. VW's seem to be particularly prone to this from what I have heard/read.

My only concerns with tuning devices on diesels is this: In theory if you keep putting fuel into a diesel engine you will keep increasing your torque. Limiting factors (that we instrument all Diesel max performance engines for), are tailpipe smoke, turbine speed, turbine and compressor outlet temperatures and Pmax (peak maximum cylinder pressure). Adding fuel at a given speed will increase all of these, and I wonder if any, except smoke, are recorded or even monitored when these firms do their development. if anyone who works for Tunit, Superchips etc is reading this I would be interested to know how you do your development? I would be happy to be corrected if indeed you do monitor/record all these parameters! Most customers always seem happy though so I guess they're doing something right! I would say don't be greedy for too much more power/torque and maybe have your car mapped individually.

As for excessive black smoke this is simply unburnt fuel and whilst increasing fuelling will give you that extra torque, once smoke starts to become heavy any further overfuelling will increase the smoke further for a very disproportionate torque/smoke increase. It should also be viewed as an early warning that due to overfuelling you may well be approaching one of the limits mentioned earlier in this post. Remember more torque generated equals more heat to dissapate through cooling system and conduction through the engine componants themselves. Probably not a problem in short bursts but suffer this for a good few minutes whilst slogging up a hill with your van on the back and you could be heading towards early turbo failure, or in the case of excessive Pmax, bent con-rods! And yes I have seen this! The engine still ran quite well but was down on power/torque. It wasn't untill it was stripped that the cause of the loss of power was discovered - slightly bent rods! Also the front of your van will look like you've towed it through a coal mine and these hot particles can burn themselves into the glass fibre front panel making it impossible to clean off.

Another not uncommon cause of low power on a turbo diesel, is the intake hose collapsing (the one between airbox and compressor inlet)and a fault you would be hard pushed to find in your car unless you drove with the bonnet off or taped a camera phone to view it under the bonnet whilst driving. You would be unlikely to see this in a garage unless the engine was under load on a rolling road. Typically this fault would only occur under heavier loads, such as when pulling your laden car/caravan up a motorway incline or long steep hill at full pedal. This hose can become softened over time by the carry over oil (tiny droplets in the air) that gets fed into it from the crankcase breather. Remove any air pipe on your turbo/intercooler and you will find a bit of oil in there - dont worry too much, quite normal.

Finally for anyone who wonders why modern diesels are so much quieter its a lot to do with Pilot Injection! Pilot is a small amount of fuel being injected 5-15 degrees of crank rotation before the main injection. This gets the burn going so that when main injection is injected the sudden pressure rise in the cylinder (the cause of diesel knock) is vastly reduced and hence engine much quieter! Voila! Of course it plays hell with the emissions when cold but I won't go there now!

Here endith the lesson, blimey I never meant to get into it that much! Sorry if I have bored you but maybe a few found it interesting, no point having some knowledge if you're not going to share it.

Finally all the above are my personal opinions/experiences and not the official view of my company, and yes I work nights hence the strange times of my posts!

Cheers and happy caravanning. Andy.

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Andy; I'll have rto re-read it cos it took me ages ! Anyway, for those of us seriously considering a boost to our diesels, it makes interesting reading. However, whether to go for it or not remains perhsp less clear?

John

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Very interesting Andy

I have had two cars (a Scenic and a Picasso) tuned by a firm at Blackpool where they re-set the ECU via a lap top.There was nothing visible to the naked eye such as tuning boxes and I found that both cars ran much smoother and the torque was much improved.The Scenic was kept for three years and the Picasso for two with no adverse effects (including some long tows to Spain etc).

Strangely the first X-Trail I had felt that it needed no tuning as there was no lack of torque but it belted out the black smoke especially on long hills when towing in France.

Local diesel tuners could do nothing as they said that they needed the Nissan tuner and the Nissan garage didn't seem to have a clue.The car was sorted by Interdiesel at Figueras in Spain who said (without English) that they had worked on the system anti-pollution and they showed me a cylinder head and injectors while making spitting noises to indicate before and after!!

I said strangely because Nissan on the later model which we have now had for 2 years upped the power but also reduced the black smoke problem to a better level than the Figueras fixed job on X no 1.

We had problems with the Alko hitch creaking etc with X no 1 but have none with X no 2.

It was necessary to wear gloves when unhitching and degreaser had to be used on the front of the van and cables !!

The current X-Trail is certainly much better.

Aug 21, 2005
Visit site
Glad you, like me, enjoy the X-trail.

Have you had the recall work done yet? ECU, boost sensor, Turbo, I/C etc?

Keeping in mind the early failure of many peoples turbos then I dont think I would be going down the re-tune route with the X-trail. If the Turbo couldnt cope with the 136 standard bhp then has little chance of coping with an extra 20 or 30bhp!!

Steve

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
(Oops, think I said turbine out temp above! I meant turbine in temp).

John S, Should you go for a tune/powerbox? Yes I'm sure you will be ok, these companies have been around for a long time and have many satisfied customers, John W for instance with his 2 previous cars. In those cases an already developed tune was simply "flashed" onto his ecu via the diagnostic port. Common practice on all later cars now but "tunes" like this have been developed on another vehicle (albeit the same) and as tolerance testing prooves the reults can be quite different. So I reiterate, don't be too greedy for too much extra power/torque and consider having your car optimised on an individual basis.

I'm not sure what the spanish meant by working on his "anti pollution system" but by his next comment I would hazard a guess that they may have removed and cleaned/repaced his injectors? Just 1 dribbling injector at 1500+ bar can cause horrendous smoke whilst barely effecting performance.

I'm afraid that dealers really don't know what goes on in the ecu and are left with a swapping sensors/components situation untill the fault is found. At work I can see on a laptop the readings being given by all sensors, the boost, egr, SOI (start of Injection - or timing in old money) in real time whilst engine is running under load, and I can adjust any map as required. Your main parameters like SOI, Fuel quantity, rail pressure, boost and egr rely on so many variables like speed, oil/coolant temp, air flow, pedal position, etc and cosequently say a knackered coolant temp sensor giving back high values will mean the engine runs like a pig at low temps but is fine at higher temps, or the complete reverse if its gone open circuit and giving a constant low reading. If a boost or air flow meter fails then this is usually quite easy to find as difference to engine is drastic.

For this work we use special ecu's that have an interface "piggy backed" onto it and through this we can see and adjust all, as well as flashing updated calibrations.

My concern is that at full pedal at any given speed, if a tuner increases say fuelling for better torque then this he will get. But in turn he will increase turbine Inlet temp, and smoke. He could reduce these 2 and gain more torque still by advancing the SOI by say 1 deg, but this would then increase Pmax, combustion noise, Nox emissions and turbine speed, possibly putting one of those out of limit. And then there are still boost, rail pressure, and pilot quantity and seperation to worry about too, all of which can increase some of the limits whilst reducing others. So you can see its a real juggling game at the top end, and I'm not sure these guys really consider all these limits during their development phase.

You pays your money and takes your choice. I'm sure in 99% of cases you will be fine, I have never heard of a catastrophic egine failure being directly caused by bad tuning. Just dont go for the max if your basically happy with less increase.

Is my diesel car tuned? No. Why? Well its a 3 litre BMW which aint short on power/torque to start with and being in the know, I want to know what they do and how and they won't tell me! Can't blame them for that though.

Andy

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I've known a plug inbox totally disable a Disco3. I have also seen chipped ones that pull your arms off with extra torque that has been properly researched and calibrated by turbochips. The guy was very interesting and helpful, but I have to say I'm just not sure of the whole thing so I have not had mine done.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Stephen.I haven't had any recall notice .Does this apply to the 136 bhp model?

I have had a replacement intercooler the only claim on warranty so far.

23000 miles have just gone round so I will enquire about the recall when the 24000 service is done

Thanks for the information

G

Hi. I have an X Trail 2.2 DCI SVE 2005(136BHP) which has just covered 1500 miles. I have just received a recall letter relating to the engine management system. I have noticed it is not as powerfull as my old mark one X trail (2.2Di 114 bhp) and the turbo whistles above 2200 rpm.There is noticable increased engine noise and vibration above 3000 rpm and the acceleration is poor. What exactly does the recall involve and how long does the garage take to carry out the work? What improvements are noticed/gained?

Thanks, Mike.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi. I have an X Trail 2.2 DCI SVE 2005(136BHP) which has just covered 1500 miles. I have just received a recall letter relating to the engine management system. I have noticed it is not as powerfull as my old mark one X trail (2.2Di 114 bhp) and the turbo whistles above 2200 rpm.There is noticable increased engine noise and vibration above 3000 rpm and the acceleration is poor. What exactly does the recall involve and how long does the garage take to carry out the work? What improvements are noticed/gained?

Thanks, Mike.
Hi Mike ,are you the tow bar guy that I had conversations with about fitting a Witter what seems like a long time ago.

Regards John

G

Hi Mike ,are you the tow bar guy that I had conversations with about fitting a Witter what seems like a long time ago.

Regards John
Hi John,

You were the one with the new model X trail trying to get a new towbar fitted and Towsure were going to use your car as a trial vehicle I seem to remember.You are a fellow caravaner, are you still participating in the past time?

We traded in our beloved diesel sport X for the later SVE model and we have towed only a few times with it. The new sat nav is brilliant and the wife is now redundant. The sat nav does not answer back!!

Mike.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Mike ,yes I got the towbar fitted by Towsure after they used my car to try their prototype.

They had "studied" the Brink first and after trying theirs on my car fitted the Brink for me for

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts