Diesel fuel additive?

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Just wondering what your thought are for the above.
Ive got a "66"reg Santa fe auto and travel 4 miles each way to work every day.(Not ideal,I know).
Once a fortnight,I get on the motorway to come home for about 30 minutes varying between 60-70 mph.
I can "smell" the exhaust when I get home.
Been reading on google,that a dpf/injector fuel additive may help in the long run.
One of the suggestions was a product called,"ArchoilAR 6400"
Does anyone here use this/use another brand/advise against additives.
Many thanks

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Well, both my vehicle makers, different, advise NO.
With your 4 miles, nothing IMO you can add is going to even initiate a DPF burn, let alone do the vital completion of that burn, so what's then the point adding to your cost plus the risk of additional aborted burns?

Basically, you should use the vehicle as intended, as is it is not a suitable one for your task, but you knew that.

As Clive goes on to state, IMO also a lot more benefit will come of upping your fuel grade, this ought to help get a better DPF burn on your "thrash" trips and help the EGR valves that also must be feeling your usage pattern.

Last edited:
Reactions: otherclive
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Since you dont use it for mega miles why not use BP Ultimate or Shel V Power premium fuels they have reduced ash content but also have additive and detergent blends and the detergent would help your engine. Do you mean you smell the exhaust after your 4 mile runs or the two weekly 30 minute motorway run? Steer clear of additives is my view. Costly and results unknown.

Alternatively why not do the motorway run weekly if you are concerned about DPF/Injector issues. Although to be honest 4 mile run especially in winter could lead to oil condensation/emulsifying issues as the "donk: will not be anywhere near warm for engine or gearbox oil. I take our 1.25 Rio petrol further than that if it has to say go to the local vets which is only 1.5 miles away, it then gets run up and down the bypass twice. Call me old fashioned i know. :blush:

Reactions: JTQ
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I only use the additive about a month before the MOT and normally buy Millers diesel additive. However most journeys with our Jeep are a lot longer than 4 miles and average probably about 25 miles. We have a small 1996 auto Corolla 1.3 petrol as a runabout for popping to shops or doctor. Road atx is about £130 a year.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
I haven't read of Santa Fe's being particularly dpf sensitive BUT plenty may know otherwise--but I'd say your fortnightly blast should be good enough to regen the dpf-the short journeys aren't ideal and if you can cycle I would but think you're probably doing enough to keep the dpf happy-only time will tell though.

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for all the input.
I will try the "better quality" fuel.

The "smell" is after I return from the motorway run.

Cycling sounds good but after having a full knee replacement not so long ago....im not sure.
Also,my job requires me to walk approx 4-6 miles a day.(wouldnt be looking forward to the cycle home)🤢

I think increase the motorway "blasts" and use a better fuel.
Many thanks👍

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
The "smell" is after I return from the motorway run.

That is what you get when the DPF is in cleaning mode, all the "----" burning off plus some diesel, add to that the engine's exhaust temperatures way up.
Just be sure it is all over before shutting down. In the colder months it will wait longer before it receives the nod to initiate the burn, and you really want it to have completed in one go. On our Golf the cooling fans being on is a sign it could well not have completed.

Reactions: GeorgeandAde

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Towing the caravan is good for cleaning the DPF - so go away more often!

I have just been reminded of that with the Government shifting our MOT from May in the towing season, to November.

I had the vehicle done yesterday, early, and it passed but with a smoke reading of 0.27, I was shocked as previously it had been 0.00.
Not been away in the van since early September, and it shows.

A friend's MOT station gets a lot of motorhomes, these are rarely challenged on smoke, IMO because they never run anything but highly loaded. It's always a hard life for these engines, typically of low capacity so working hard, relative to our car of three litre when it is running solo.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2020
Visit site
One tip I was given years back is to get the engine hot every few weeks so say with our shogun that would be holding it in 3rd or 4th to get the revs up for a few miles
Always do that before mot anyways as it gives an accurate reading.

Kev

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
One tip I was given years back is to get the engine hot every few weeks so say with our shogun that would be holding it in 3rd or 4th to get the revs up for a few miles
Always do that before mot anyways as it gives an accurate reading.

Kev
Yep we were told exactly the same. It seems to work and have noticed dark smoke under heavy acceleration even with cars with no DPF. This smoke clears within minutes.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Yep we were told exactly the same. It seems to work and have noticed dark smoke under heavy acceleration even with cars with no DPF. This smoke clears within minutes.

Without the DPF the car is likely to smoke more under hard acceleration. Two cars that we had were notorious for it. A 2.0 TDCI Mondeo and 1.5 Nissan Note. Both were driven by my wife and although her regular weekly trips involved 3 or 4 round trips of 25 miles these were mainly on rural B roads, and she's a gentle driver too. So when I occasionally drove those cars I would accelerate hard in third and the vehicles behind disappeared in a smoke screen. Even my petrol Subaru emitted a cloud when I first bought it as it came from Wimbledon where i doubt it was ever accelarated hard. So on my first trip out I was going north up the Fosse into Stow and on that long hill it gave out some muck, but since than has been clean. Just the detritus on the turbo and in the exhaust system.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I’ve never used additives in my diesels. I did have a blocked EGR valve years ago which the main dealer blamed on supermarket fuel. Not convinced, but since then I will use BP Esso or Shell every so often.
Maybe you need a small electric car for work??

As an aside my VW needs Ad blue. Apparently it gets added to the exhaust and is supposed to reduce emissions. Filling the tank is a bit of a faf as it’s buried deep inside the boot requiring removal of the spare wheel. Shame they didn’t fit a simple exterior filler point.

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site

Agreed........still waiting for my 6 numbers to come up 🤭

Yes,I use ad blue in my works van but luckily,its just inside the passenger door

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I’ve never used additives in my diesels. I did have a blocked EGR valve years ago which the main dealer blamed on supermarket fuel. Not convinced, but since then I will use BP Esso or Shell every so often.

As an aside my VW needs Ad blue. Apparently it gets added to the exhaust and is supposed to reduce emissions. Filling the tank is a bit of a faf as it’s buried deep inside the boot requiring removal of the spare wheel. Shame they didn’t fit a simple exterior filler point.
It’s a Selective Catalytic Reduction process first used on ships exhaust gases. ADBLUE is a urea compound so if you need a top up I say no more

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site

The Touareg design goes back before the days of Adblue - without a redesign of the fuel tank and silencer, the only place to put the tank was in a hump under the spare wheel - if you buy the Audi filler tube from ebay, it can be refilled without removing the spare - I struggle with the weight of the spare - 2018-on versions of Touareg have the filler next to the fuel filler.

The use of Adblue reduces NOx and allows the EGR to operate less often, making the EGR more reliable.

Reactions: Dustydog
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
My 2018 Tiguan has the Adblue filter near the fuel filter
Volkswagen models display a countdown from 1500 miles and is repeated every 62 miles until the range if this stage is reached the system needs a full top up before the car can be restarted

Oct 24, 2020
Visit site
guys use shell v power diesel and make sure you give it a motorway blast 2500 rpm for 15 minutes also use air con lights and heated windows they help with the regen passive i am lucky i have vag com and can do a standing DpF every 6 months short journeys two oil changes a year
additives only once

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Well....let the tank run down to 1/4 today then filled up with Shell vpower.

1.32p. a litre 😡😡😡

Got straight on the motorway and gave it a 50 mile "blast"(Will give it a shorter run every couple of weeks).

Will let you know if I notice any difference in the next couple of weeks.(fuel consumption etc).

Getting about 26mpg at the moment around town.

Sometimes its been as high as 32-36 in the past but will have to wait and see.

Reactions: fenderjazz

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts