Diesel fuel additive?

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Well....let the tank run down to 1/4 today then filled up with Shell vpower.

1.32p. a litre 😡😡😡

Got straight on the motorway and gave it a 50 mile "blast"(Will give it a shorter run every couple of weeks).

Will let you know if I notice any difference in the next couple of weeks.(fuel consumption etc).

Getting about 26mpg at the moment around town.

Sometimes its been as high as 32-36 in the past but will have to wait and see.

25+ around town for a 2 tonne 4wd SUV is to be expected

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Thanks Roger.
Yes....its not going to be great but would like to be around the low 30's again as it has achieved in the past.
Maybe the odd tank of vpower may help.🤔

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Roger.
Yes....its not going to be great but would like to be around the low 30's again as it has achieved in the past.
Maybe the odd tank of vpower may help.🤔

I've found this year that we simply aren't doing the longer journeys, but still doing the short ones - so my average has been hit, and it wasn't good to start with - I've bought a little run-around for local journeys.

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
I could do with a cheap little car for work.
The wife's petrol jazz would be ideal but she needs it for her work.(she does less daily mileage than me).
Certainly couldn't afford to run 3 cars😪
Will see how it goes over the next few weeks.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I’ve thought about this thread. As far as I am concerned the mpg is almost irrelevant. My tug probably does no more than 7k per annum. We use SWMBO car for all the non tugging journeys.
The potential difference using different fuels and additives is in all honesty minuscule in my life

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I’ve thought about this thread. As far as I am concerned the mpg is almost irrelevant. My tug probably does no more than 7k per annum. We use SWMBO car for all the non tugging journeys.
The potential difference using different fuels and additives is in all honesty minuscule in my life
Like Dusty fuel consumption is not an issue for me and even in a normal year the Subaru does less than 5-7 K overall and on long solo journeys I can get around 35-38 mpg, 30 mpg local and 18-22 mpg towing depending on wind direction. The Rio does 55 mpg no problem.

Fuel additives haven’t really been shown to make any noticeable difference to mpg or power in real world condition. Premium fuels are the same but having a higher detergent content and reduced ash content they will help keeping the fuel and emissions systems in good order. For the Subaru I tend the use 50/50 branded fuel and premium fuel. As the increased octane content together with auto gearbox counters the likelihood of LSPI which is a phenomenon affecting some boosted direct injection petrol engines.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Well....let the tank run down to 1/4 today then filled up with Shell vpower.

1.32p. a litre 😡😡😡

Got straight on the motorway and gave it a 50 mile "blast"(Will give it a shorter run every couple of weeks).

Will let you know if I notice any difference in the next couple of weeks.(fuel consumption etc).

Getting about 26mpg at the moment around town.

Sometimes its been as high as 32-36 in the past but will have to wait and see.
Probably no difference on mpg, but engine will burn cleaner and less smoke if a diesel. With our diesel the engine did seem to run quieter. I only fill up with teh "Super" about 3 times a year to keep engine clean.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
the extra cetane will give you more power across the board don't forget keep revs 2500 to 3000
I’ve yet to see any credible tests results that categorically show anything other than a minuscule power increase. Certainly nothing that shows in real world driving conditions. Have you got any links?

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
I've got plenty of power to hand both solo and towing.
Today,engine note does seem to be a little more "refined" and,although I'm not sure if the vpower would help the gearbox,it does seem to change up a bit quicker rather than "holding on to"a lower gear.
Maybe wishful thinking on my part,but I suppose time will tell.

Reactions: fenderjazz
Oct 24, 2020
Visit site
a quick comparison once you get new the red fill up with supermarket fuel in tne past i did this with two previous vw passats one petrol one diesel and had vcds so could data log
in the warmer weather you could go back to supermarket fuel or shell fuel save is good too

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Cetane increase doesn't work the same was in diesels as Octane increase works in petrols
One test report using a single cylinder research engine showed vegetable oil developed more power than a premium diesel. Probably higher calorific value could be the difference.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Not in winter as it congeals.

it will all depend on the percentage of saturated fats in the vegetable oil as they affect Cloud Point and Pour Point. But my comment relating to the single cylinder research engine test wasn’t to debate the overall merits of diesel as opposed to vegetable oil. But back to the point Cetane number doesn’t have the same effect on diesels as dies Octane number on petrol engines. And then only on high performance petrol engines.

Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
Towing the caravan is good for cleaning the DPF - so go away more often!
Not sure about that, on several occasions I have towed almost non stop from the midlands to Scotland only to find a few days later the DPF light coming on when touring around solo. The Xtrail forum led me to believe that the software doesn't do DPF burn when loaded, perhaps to avoid too high an engine temperature. Low load, high revs (2000+) and 50+ mph seemed best.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Not sure about that, on several occasions I have towed almost non stop from the midlands to Scotland only to find a few days later the DPF light coming on when touring around solo. The Xtrail forum led me to believe that the software doesn't do DPF burn when loaded, perhaps to avoid too high an engine temperature. Low load, high revs (2000+) and 50+ mph seemed best.

Even whilst towing you are generating soot into the DPF so at some time it will need to regenerate itself. Like you after a tow to Cornwall I arrived at reception and switched off the engine only to hear the fans going. Since the approach to the site was a slow country lane the car had had ample time to cool its systems so I’d switched off in the middle of a regeneration cycle. You can’t control theses things and I’m not aware of any cars that show when they are coming up to a regeneration cycle. But in a slow Cornish lane there’s not much you can do anyway to speed things up.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts