Diesel no longer an option.

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
Hi all.

I need to change my Diesel Insignia for a Petrol tow car. Outside of towing my driving is urban and short trips = DPF problems. So Diesel no longer an option.

Towing Bailey Ranger 460/4, kerb weight of the towing car needs to be at least 1393 Kgs.

Thanks.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I have a 2014, Hyundai SanteFe. Urban driving most of the time with say two runs of 25 miles a week. Then every month a tow of say between 60 miles to 300 miles. Never a problem with the DPF.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Ever the one for the simpler solution, have you considered making a fortnightly 40 minute drive where you can keep up to about 40 mph?

The fuel cost will be just a fraction of the cost to change, and would still be if each trip was out to a nice pub for a slap up meal for two, plus you keep an otherwise adequate tow vehicle till the time to go EV arrives.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I used to take the XC70 out for a good run periodically although it wasn’t used for short trips, but I do have the advantage of two cars a tow car and runabout. Both now petrol.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
The general advice for low mileage diesels is a drive of 30 mins at 2000rpm as constant as possible once a month or two so it does need some motorway.

We have a Passat estate 150 that has hardly done any long distance since Covid started. It went for its first MoT in March and was recording zero measurable emissions, just as the last Passat did a long time pre Covid.

The Passat (2L 150bhp TDi BMT may have been part of the emissions scandal, but it is now rated as one of the cleanest engines of that size and power on the road. My results seem to confirm same.

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
We go away one week a month in the season so our Skoda gets a good blowout , sixty plus miles on the motorway does it the world of good . But December till March we have had the light come on at times so give it a good run.

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Two days ago, I had a nice little run up the M1, M45 then down the Fosse way to Leamington Spa. Then on the way home back on the M45 onto the M1, hit the traffic works 25 miles of single lane traffic, 2.7 miles in 37 minutes. Everything coned off, at 10.pm only two workers to be seen.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Plenty of good petrols out there that will tow your caravan though if you insist-Tiguan or Kodiaq with the 1.5tsi engine, Kia and Hyundai family with great warranties-Toyota now offer a 10 year warranty if they service it-not sure what the Rav will tow, Mini Countryman phev would be a good eco choice-BMWs -5series estate Mercs-Volvo XC40 0 the choice is endless-you need to set a budget and go for some test drives-have some fun!

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
An old Rover 3.5 P5, . I had two Coupes and a Saloon. . Worth a fortune, now. But so,is the house that I sold them for.

It all depends on what you want to tow and how much you want to spend.
If I wanted to to my Coachman with a petrol car, over the distance I do then It would cost me a fortune. So it is not an option.
Your other option is have a static caravan. Which I do not want. Others do. Then the next idea are the Pods Or Yurks, I had those when working in North Pakistan, but at least I had shower in mine, unlike 4 IN A bed show , on the TV.

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
Just to throw the cat among the pigeons, how about an EV? How often do you tow and how far? Do you have off road parking at home? Is your urban driving in a ULEZ zone? Could you get one on a company scheme or salary sacrifice? Yes they cost more up front, but residuals are strong meaning PCP or lease deals can be very cheap. The savings you would make in fuel and road tax might give you access to a higher capability car at the same monthly budget… just a thought…

Reactions: JezzerB
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I am retired, so no salary saving scheme.
Before covid we would be out maybe Every month for at least 10 days.
Distances, anything from 30 miles to south of France West France and the Swiss border, when I worked, we went to France for 4 weeks every 12 weeks for 5 years.
But normally on towed about 5k a year.
And I have a DD for the ULEZ, I cancelled my French payage last year.

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
I am retired, so no salary saving scheme.
Before covid we would be out maybe Every month for at least 10 days.
Distances, anything from 30 miles to south of France West France and the Swiss border, when I worked, we went to France for 4 weeks every 12 weeks for 5 years.
But normally on towed about 5k a year.
And I have a DD for the ULEZ, I cancelled my French payage last year.
Sounds like a possibility then. If you low a lot (you clearly do) the fuels cost saving is huge. Charging on the continent is well established (see the plug share app or ABRP app). When solo, you can save the ULEZ costs, and you have fewer time constraints (the journey is the holiday). It might not be as crazy or expensive as it sounds… The Volvo C40P8 recharge can tow 1800Kg and will be available on their subscription service - one monthly payment all in. Worth a look and a test drive perhaps?

Reactions: JezzerB and Hutch
Mar 29, 2021
Visit site
Hi all.

I need to change my Diesel Insignia for a Petrol tow car. Outside of towing my driving is urban and short trips = DPF problems. So Diesel no longer an option.

Towing Bailey Ranger 460/4, kerb weight of the towing car needs to be at least 1393 Kgs.

Thanks.
My precious car was a diesel Insignia, sri vx line nav estate! Long badge 😀
Lovely car, plenty of buttons for the money fab at towing giving 31 mpg towing 1500kg caravan.

Only downside was regeneration of the exhaust, I couldn't select when it would do it, so most of the time I was urban driving, on comes the regeneration dont turn off the engine display, and your basically stuffed, a trip to the shops could take an extra 20 minutes while I waited, or came home and left it running on the drive, proper design fault.
Still a hugely practical car for me

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
My precious car was a diesel Insignia, sri vx line nav estate! Long badge 😀
Lovely car, plenty of buttons for the money fab at towing giving 31 mpg towing 1500kg caravan.

Only downside was regeneration of the exhaust, I couldn't select when it would do it, so most of the time I was urban driving, on comes the regeneration dont turn off the engine display, and your basically stuffed, a trip to the shops could take an extra 20 minutes while I waited, or came home and left it running on the drive, proper design fault.
Still a hugely practical car for me
When i first saw diesel Insignia a friend of mine owned he gave it a lot praise great tow car it pulled his caravan with no problems

Mar 29, 2021
Visit site
When i first saw diesel Insignia a friend of mine owned he gave it a lot praise great tow car it pulled his caravan with no problems
Can't disagree, I have had 3, the last one was my first car with electric handbrake, if it wasn't for the styling change I'd have bought another rather than the Audi.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We changed the diesel Mazda 6 for the petrol equivalent with the larger engine and have managed with it even though our caravan is heavier than yours. You do have to accept that the petrol does not have the same torque which means it builds up speed slower, you will use more fuel but it is cheaper and gear changing on hills will be needed more.
Provided you choose one with enough power you should still be able to tow easily and the weight of the caravan means you have an option in almost any car makers range so while I am a Mazda fan and can recommend it I accept there are many other suitable models out there and personal taste is probably the deciding factor. Do remember hat towing is usually a small proportion of your driving and the most important actor is being happy with the car for everyday use.
A copy of What Car magazine with its complete list of makes, models and their brief spec might help to draw up a shortlist.

Reactions: JezzerB

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts