Difficulty in unhitching with Al-Ko stabliser

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Has anyone else had problems unhitching when the car and van are not quite level with each other? We are finding it difficult to level the van and then unhitch - not difficult - impossible. Last time out we had to jack the van up to level it!!!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Stuart,

I am no expert but what I would suggest is after you have got the van level, chalk the two wheels on your van and then pull forward approx 4 inches. This should pull the dampner out and stop this pressure working against you as you raise the jockey wheel. Make sure that your alko stabiliser handle is as far up as possible as this too would not allow you to unhitch. If you still have problems try unhitching on the level. If there is no problems then the above should help - however if you are having difficulties on the level then you should bring the van to a dealer with a view to ensuring that the ALKO head is not damaged.

Cheers

Brian

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The only difficulty I've ever had was when the caravan was pushing or tugging against the car while trying to unhitch, i.e. the coupling was right against the end stop. If such conditions are unavoidable, such as on very uneven ground or when the need arises to unhitch with the handbrake applied, I run the jockey wheel down and use it to lift the caravan off the towball. In extreme case it will even lift the back of the car up before it parts company with the caravan but finally it's always done the trick. I've never had any problems if there was at least some degree of free movement in the coupling, though.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Same thing happens to me. Apply handbrakes, then wind down jockey wheel, this will raise the back of the car. Then get in the car and momentarily release its handbrake, this will allow the coupling to release from the towball.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Stuart, I have the Winterhoff hitch and had the same problem. I found that if I leave the caravan brake off (chock wheels if neccessary) I never have any problems.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We had this problem quite a bit at first but not so much lately.Don't make the mistake I did of pushing the car forward with the handbrake off as you need to be quite nimble to catch it when the coupling releases and the car takes off down the hill. Chocs are a great help if placed just ahead of the car/caravan direction of travel and then when all is completed sit in the van with a big box of the same and a large scotch.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Stuart, Iv'e had the same problem for years with a variety of different alko hitches. On every occasion i have found it to be that i have forgotten to compress the rubber on the hitch. simply reversing half an inch back always helps. when the hitch is fully extended and the rubber gait extended too it can be a swine to uncouple - level or on a slope.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It can be annoying and also if the coupling is compressed it can make a mess of your bumper if you have not got a guard. I tend to reverse on to pitch, then pull forard a few inches to extend coupling but not auite all the way. The hardest bit is winding down the jockey wheel at the same time as lifting the small Alko handle. These days I get the better half to wind the jockey wheel from one side while I hold the handle up with the other. Seems to have worked OK so far.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts