Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
I thought I'd buy a spirit level to keep in the caravan. I ordered a digital level from Amazon as I thought it would be handy to hear a beep so I can hear when it's level. Not very impressed with it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BSFHWZ77?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

The digital readout often disagrees with the spirit gauge. When you rotate it 180º in exactly the same place, the spirit bubble reads differently! So it's not even a very good traditional bubble level. Probably accurate enough for vanning, I don't think being 0.5º off matters a lot but doesn't really feel like value for money. If you want a decent digital level it seems you're looking at closer to £100. I'm going to send it back as even being a cheapo, I don't think it's worth £27.99. I'll get a classic bubble level and stick to trotting back and forth between the jockey wheel and peering in through the doorway.

Anyone know where I can get spare bubbles? ;)

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Level-ish is good enough for me, can't see the point in being that accurate. I have a couple of small spirit levels glued to the A frame that get me close enough.

Each to his own though eh?,

Reactions: Mr Grumpy
Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
Before having E&P self-levelling fitted I used a free app on my iPhone called "Toolbox" by Skypa. This has 15 several useful tools including a spirit level and surface level. I just selected one or the other and placed my phone on the floor of the caravan and adjusted the corner steadies accordingly. I'm sure there will be other similar free apps out there for both IOS and Android too.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Before having E&P self-levelling fitted I used a free app on my iPhone called "Toolbox" by Skypa. This has 15 several useful tools including a spirit level and surface level. I just selected one or the other and placed my phone on the floor of the caravan and adjusted the corner steadies accordingly. I'm sure there will be other similar free apps out there for both IOS and Android too.
I’ve got the Makita toolbox app; comes in handy at times.

Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
I've got a tool set similar to this one - although not this exact set, and I've had it for ten years so I can't remember where I bought it. The spirit level that came with this set is all I use for levelling my van, it may not be accurate to the last percent but it's enough that we can't feel any off-level-ness.

I've got the Caravan Leveller app on my phone but I don't think I've ever used it for real.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I've got a tool set similar to this one - although not this exact set, and I've had it for ten years so I can't remember where I bought it. The spirit level that came with this set is all I use for levelling my van, it may not be accurate to the last percent but it's enough that we can't feel any off-level-ness.

I've got the Caravan Leveller app on my phone but I don't think I've ever used it for real.
That is a very nice set of tools.

Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
That is a very nice set of tools
Thanks, like I said my set isn't exactly this one but the makeup is almost the same. I had a tool set stolen from the back of my car and needed to replace them quite urgently. I bought a set that looked like this one from a local towing goods supplier (which has since closed its Southampton branch), and frankly the tools might as well have been made from chewing gum. I binned them and bought a similar-looking set and they've been going strong for ten years or more.

Buy cheap and buy twice (forget to lock your car and buy three times but that's another story), but you can only tell if tools are any good when you start to use them.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Whatever level you use where do you take the readings? Chests of drawers? top of hob? Bed frame.sink , basin etc?
It has taken me a long time to find where true level is. The fridge as we know only works within certain parameters. Too much tilt one way the shower and basin don’t empty properly same with the kitchen sink. Thanks to the excellent fine tolerances of caravan construction you may rest assured 90% of measuring points are not true🤪🤪🤪🤪

Attachments

• IMG_5605.jpeg
    IMG_5605.jpeg
    12.7 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: Jcloughie
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
A cheap pocket level is fine imho as the floor of all vans varies a lot so no reading will be 100% true, no matter how good the level is.

I have found that getting our last van ‘true’ in both directions by the door. Meant that the shower would not drain. Being a little out in the main area of the van mattered not. But we wanted the shower to drain. My answer was to get the van to just as we wanted it, then to glue two mini bubbles at right angles to each other just inside the door. Packed in such a way that the bubbles centered. Then, every time we pitched after that it would be spot on. We used two separate bubbles but this would also do the job

1684169240879.jpeg

Reactions: Hutch and Dustydog
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
A cheap pocket level is fine imho as the floor of all vans varies a lot so no reading will be 100% true, no matter how good the level is.

I have found that getting our last van ‘true’ in both directions by the door. Meant that the shower would not drain. Being a little out in the main area of the van mattered not. But we wanted the shower to drain. My answer was to get the van to just as we wanted it, then to glue two mini bubbles at right angles to each other just inside the door. Packed in such a way that the bubbles centered. Then, every time we pitched after that it would be spot on. We used two separate bubbles but this would also do the job

View attachment 4725
That’s it John .
You have to learn by practice with each caravan. You beat me to ten photo which I omitted, same as yours 😜

Reactions: Jcloughie
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I always used the bottom side rail for fore and aft levelling as my theory being it’s along the line of the chassis which should ( might) run true. For side to side a spot on the front panel in the middle and under the window. But like John C I would try and position it so that the shower drained. So level it probably wasn’t in the true sense.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts