Digital TV in France

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Last summer when staying in Dover, on setting up my freeview box I picked up Dutch Digital programs. I eventually got the UK Digital ones by realligning the TV aerial. I know french analogue TV signals cannot be picked on UK TV,s, but what is the position on French Digital signals, can they be picked up using a UK Freeview box and hence to a UK type TV.

Apr 2, 2005
Visit site
I don't really know, but would guess that you can't use 'Freview' as the French use a different TV system to the UK and most EU countries.
French digital TV is only available via satellite on Atlantic Bird at 8 degrees west. All programmes are in French, encrypted and require a pay TV card. French analogue is on 5 degrees west and does not require a card and covers all six main French TV channels. You will only get black and white pictures on a U.K. TV. A multi standard TV in a French Hypermarket is from

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Since I sent in the query I have found a web site www.digitalspy.co.uk in which one their forums is dedicated to French digital TV. It would appear that they only started the roll out last month. Digital TV systems are the same throughout Europe and British Digi Boxes with a UK TV set can be used to receive signals for vision and sound, although you may not get teletext and some other facilities. The coverage areas will be increased over the next 18 months and a link on the web site sends you to a web site which gives maps of France and the the areas covered at different time scales. This service will be handy to brush up your French and get the gist of news and weather for long stayers who dont want to bothered with satellite equipment. One down side is some remote areas will never get it, they will have to rely on the Astra satellite for service.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts