Dilemma!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
When we bought our current Jeep which was our second Jeep we were hoping to keep for several or more years as it had low mileage. We have done 28k miles in it in the past 4 years. Normally it would have been closer to 36k. I enjoy driving it and find it very comfortable and it has lots of gadgets to make driving more comfortable. It has ample power and for its size it is not too heavy on fuel with 32mpg solo on motorway and about 21mpg when towing. It has been very good to use up to recently.

Recently the Jeep failed on us and came to an unexpected dead stop with no warning etc we were totally stuck and could not even use the hazard lights. The alternator failing suddenly caused the issue of it stopping dead. There was a recall on the alternators, but for the petrol version. I am told that the petrol and diesel use the same alternator. The alternator has been replaced at a high unexpected expense and according to the dealer apparently the issue with alternators failing due to diodes inside going short circuit has been resolved, but I no longe trust that dealer. In addition, the dealer has not resolved the issue of it losing power and then surging for which I took it to them in the first place.

The concern here is even if the new dealer resolves the issue of the vehicle losing power and then surging, I am unsure if I can trust it again as I keep thinking what if the failure of it coming to a dead stop without warning had happened on a motorway?

We had not planned to buy another vehicle so soon and if we do we will have use finance. We have looked at Toyota Landcruisers and although reliable, they can be very thirsty unless you buy one that is under 3 years old and that is out of our price bracket unless we go for PCP, but then you have a balloon payment so so not keen on PCP. We prefer to "own" the vehicle.

The other option is the Audi Q7 S Line which seems to have good reviews and is fairly economical on fuel even when towing. Not sure about VW Tourag. We could of course opt for a later model Jeep Grand Cherokee as prices are more affordable and the newer ones have had all the issues of the earlier models resolved. Obviously all second hand with full service history and preferably one owner.

Not sure where to go with this one as wife is keen on a 2016 2.8L Landcruiser, but I am unsure

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
When we bought our current Jeep which was our second Jeep we were hoping to keep for several or more years as it had low mileage. We have done 28k miles in it in the past 4 years. Normally it would have been closer to 36k. I enjoy driving it and find it very comfortable and it has lots of gadgets to make driving more comfortable. It has ample power and for its size it is not too heavy on fuel with 32mpg solo on motorway and about 21mpg when towing. It has been very good to use up to recently.

Recently the Jeep failed on us and came to an unexpected dead stop with no warning etc we were totally stuck and could not even use the hazard lights. The alternator failing suddenly caused the issue of it stopping dead. There was a recall on the alternators, but for the petrol version. I am told that the petrol and diesel use the same alternator. The alternator has been replaced at a high unexpected expense and according to the dealer apparently the issue with alternators failing due to diodes inside going short circuit has been resolved, but I no longe trust that dealer. In addition, the dealer has not resolved the issue of it losing power and then surging for which I took it to them in the first place.

The concern here is even if the new dealer resolves the issue of the vehicle losing power and then surging, I am unsure if I can trust it again as I keep thinking what if the failure of it coming to a dead stop without warning had happened on a motorway?

We had not planned to buy another vehicle so soon and if we do we will have use finance. We have looked at Toyota Landcruisers and although reliable, they can be very thirsty unless you buy one that is under 3 years old and that is out of our price bracket unless we go for PCP, but then you have a balloon payment so so not keen on PCP. We prefer to "own" the vehicle.

The other option is the Audi Q7 S Line which seems to have good reviews and is fairly economical on fuel even when towing. Not sure about VW Tourag. We could of course opt for a later model Jeep Grand Cherokee as prices are more affordable and the newer ones have had all the issues of the earlier models resolved. Obviously all second hand with full service history and preferably one owner.

Not sure where to go with this one as wife is keen on a 2016 2.8L Landcruiser, but I am unsure
The Audi Q7 and VW Touareg are very closely related - the main difference is that the Q7 has a slightly longer wheelbase to allow fitment of a 3rd row of seats - mechanically and electrically, they're the same.

Reactions: Buckman
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

I think you have already made the decision or had it made for you. Landcruiser it shall be. 👍

PTA

Mar 5, 2020
Visit site
We are on our third Touareg now. They have all been faultless and tow our Crusader Mistral down to Spain and Portugal every year. For us, it is the perfect tow car, comfortable over long distances, effortless towing and refined cruising coupled with high performance when needed. 25 mpg when towing, 34 mpg solo (subject to how it's driven-it also has an Eco mode). There are Touaregs on the road with 200,000+ on the clock.
Current one is a 2020 R Line Tech with 18,600 under its belt.
We love it!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I think you have already made the decision or had it made for you. Landcruiser it shall be. 👍

LOL! I do like the idea of the LC for reliability, but not so keen on high running costs i.e. diesel as doubt if we would see 20mpg. We got shot of the Shogun as it was very heavy on fuel and nowhere near the claimed 37mpg solo. Towing we were lucky to see 17mpg. Plus for me it was a rather uncomfortable vehicle.

Our Jeep dealer is about 70 miles away whereas the Toyota, Audi and VW dealers are within 5 miles. There are closer Jeep dealers in Birmingham but unsure of reputation from what I have read on car forums.

Landcruisers are at an all time high second hand as apparently the waiting list for new ones is over 2 years long! Not sure if that applies to the UK diesel Landcuisers also. My son struggles to get parts for his V8 Landcruiser and has to import all parts and then get the local Toyota people to fit the parts.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
What I have noticed about the LC is that they tend to get fairly poor reviews for their towing ability despite the fact they look ideal on paper and comfort is no where near that of your other choices. The right car is a very personal thing so you have to look at everything, but for me the Toureg would be the choice from those. Not sure what you tow, but if you value reliability Toyota walk all over the other makes you are looking at.
We have bought the last three cars from the same garage as we have found them to be excellent and the reputation of garages might be worth looking at, particularly as you are unhappy with the Jeep one.
Choosing the right tow car is not easy, but in the end it comes down to personal preference once you have he short list and only you know what suits you best.

Reactions: PTA
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
What I have noticed about the LC is that they tend to get fairly poor reviews for their towing ability despite the fact they look ideal on paper and comfort is no where near that of your other choices. The right car is a very personal thing so you have to look at everything, but for me the Toureg would be the choice from those. Not sure what you tow, but if you value reliability Toyota walk all over the other makes you are looking at.
We have bought the last three cars from the same garage as we have found them to be excellent and the reputation of garages might be worth looking at, particularly as you are unhappy with the Jeep one.
Choosing the right tow car is not easy, but in the end it comes down to personal preference once you have he short list and only you know what suits you best.
Thanks for the advice. Toyota now offer a 10 year or 100,000 mile Relax warranty on their vehicles even if purchased second hand.
We probably tow about 2000 miles out of 8000 miles so also need to take into account solo use.

Reactions: JezzerB
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I paid a no quibble reservation fee for a Landcruiser, but then everything went pear shape and Mrs B is back in hospital and in a lot of pain and it will probably be awhile before she comes home.

I contacted the dealer and the sales person said it was not a problem and I could still go ahead with the deal and didn't want to accept the cancellation initially. These guys are unbelievable!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Thanks Mrs B has been moved into another ward and is feeling a bit better although still cannot walk. However as she said, "life goes on" and told me to go ahead with the purchase of a vehicle and we have decided on a 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland CRD with full service history, low mileage and one owner. Also has a towbar and electrics fitted.
Although I liked the Landcruiser and the Audi Q7, both for the same year, mileage and service history were out of our budget by a couple of thousand. Granted the residual value of the Landcruiser will be lot higher than the Jeep in 5 - 10 years time, but that may change as we get nearer to the 2030 deadline and by that time I would have moved into my next decade. LOL!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Mrs B has been moved into another ward and is feeling a bit better although still cannot walk. However as she said, "life goes on" and told me to go ahead with the purchase of a vehicle and we have decided on a 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland CRD with full service history, low mileage and one owner. Also has a towbar and electrics fitted.
Although I liked the Landcruiser and the Audi Q7, both for the same year, mileage and service history were out of our budget by a couple of thousand. Granted the residual value of the Landcruiser will be lot higher than the Jeep in 5 - 10 years time, but that may change as we get nearer to the 2030 deadline and by that time I would have moved into my next decade. LOL!
Sounds a nice car. But there is no 2030 deadline affecting existing vehicles only the possible extension of low emission zones. So you can look forward to many more years of comfortable motoring.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Sounds a nice car. But there is no 2030 deadline affecting existing vehicles only the possible extension of low emission zones. So you can look forward to many more years of comfortable motoring.
Apologies for not making it clear. I was referring to the fact that no new ICE will be in vehicles and big diesels may be in demand. We can only hope.
The new Jeep GC has a 2.0L engine and is hybrid.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Apologies for not making it clear. I was referring to the fact that no new ICE will be in vehicles and big diesels may be in demand. We can only hope.
The new Jeep GC has a 2.0L engine and is hybrid.

Then its residuals might even go up when 2030 arrives. Which would be good news should you want to change it. Good luck with it, and hope your wife improves.

Reactions: JezzerB and Buckman
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Let’s hope Mrs B gets fixed this time. Seems she and hospital are spending too much time together😉.Best wishes to her👍
LCs and Hilux beasts are better suited to the outback rough tracks rather than U.K. roads. I opted for the Touareg a few years ago. Never looked back. There’s only us and the third row of seats in the Q7 was pointless.
So I do hope you find reliability , comfort , and overall happiness with the new Jeep. Are you happy with the current Jeep dealer and have all the public and internal recalls and service bulletins been attended to? I don’t jest because I think the motor trade can be a very precarious industry for Joe Public . Keep your pencil sharp🤪🤪.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Let’s hope Mrs B gets fixed this time. Seems she and hospital are spending too much time together😉.Best wishes to her👍
LCs and Hilux beasts are better suited to the outback rough tracks rather than U.K. roads. I opted for the Touareg a few years ago. Never looked back. There’s only us and the third row of seats in the Q7 was pointless.
So I do hope you find reliability , comfort , and overall happiness with the new Jeep. Are you happy with the current Jeep dealer and have all the public and internal recalls and service bulletins been attended to? I don’t jest because I think the motor trade can be a very precarious industry for Joe Public . Keep your pencil sharp🤪🤪.

It is a reputable dealership and I looked up reviews first befroe committing. Hopefully I am going in with my eyes wide open, but never trust a n Arthur Daly sales person? LOL! :ROFLMAO:

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Good luck with the new to you car. You are right on the depreciation point at present but who knows what will have happened by the time you move the car on.

Reactions: Buckman
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Have you seen the output of Buckman’s new motor?
Overall, the 4xe system delivers 375 horsepower (280 kW) and 470 lb.-ft. (637 Nm) of torque.😎
Ian, Are you man enough to handle this beast🤪🤪🤪
Looks a very capable motor, here’s to many happy trips for you and Mrs B

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Have you seen the output of Buckman’s new motor?
Overall, the 4xe system delivers 375 horsepower (280 kW) and 470 lb.-ft. (637 Nm) of torque.😎
Ian, Are you man enough to handle this beast🤪🤪🤪
Looks a very capable motor, here’s to many happy trips for you and Mrs B
AFAIK Buckman's buying a 2018 model, not the new one

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts