Dip on top of caravan roof .

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Got up to clean top of caravan and saw a puddle at rear off side of the roof. It has been there since buying it . A quantity of water is slopped toward a joint between the rear and roof portion . Have had no damp in that area inside . My thought are is it possible to drill hole in side to inject a foam filler to pop it up?. In the past when up there the water had gone brown with probably tree s nearby and had to use several polishes to get rid of the stain .

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I would think about using a tape, such as Rooflock.

Now my van is out of warranty, I keep thinking about covering all roof joints with this tape.
I would not drill any holes in the roof. If the water is puddeling then it is not going into the caravan, I don't care about the roof of the van, It is covered in Fenwicks Winter stuff, don't wash it off, just give another coating every year.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Got up to clean top of caravan and saw a puddle at rear off side of the roof. It has been there since buying it . A quantity of water is slopped toward a joint between the rear and roof portion . Have had no damp in that area inside . My thought are is it possible to drill hole in side to inject a foam filler to pop it up?. In the past when up there the water had gone brown with probably tree s nearby and had to use several polishes to get rid of the stain .
The damp proof joint is under the tape at the juncture of the two panels. If the manufacturer tape is sound then that adds extra protection against water ingress. I would do as advised and pitch the caravan either nose or tail down such that water runs off.

As Hutch recommends I always used Fenwicks overwintering fluid. It really does keep the grime off of the surface, and makes the springtime clean so much easier.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I would think about using a tape, such as Rooflock.

Now my van is out of warranty, I keep thinking about covering all roof joints with this tape.
I would not drill any holes in the roof. If the water is puddeling then it is not going into the caravan, I don't care about the roof of the van, It is covered in Fenwicks Winter stuff, don't wash it off, just give another coating every year.
I think the OP was referring to drilling a hole from the inside to be able to inject foam into the roof area similar to what you do for delamination on a floor.
Not sure if it is feasible as surely the foam when it expands will push the ceiling boards down rather than life the outside panelling as the ceiling boards are the weakest part.
We have a similar issue and when caravan is in storage we have the front lifted so that water runs off the back. Not sure how to prevent the puddling due to caravan levelling itself when on site.
Water puddling on roof.jpg

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If the roof joint tape is in good condition there’s no need for Rooflock or Eternabond tape. It could even devalue the van if put up for sale by making a buyer wary.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
You could drill-insert a stiff piece of wire with a hook on the end, insert and try to lift the plastic up-then pop the foam in and allow to set-might work but as above still stand the risk o f the internal lining dropping-most Bucanneers come with a dip at the front - normal apparently-just need to makes sure it's sealed as if there is a leak dip or no,it'll leak . WE leave the van nose up and to one side so the roof hopefully drains as standing water leaves a real hard to clean mess.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Unless the puddle is causing a major problem, I would be concerned about trying to lift it with foam, as others have said it could well backfire, and push the interior roof lining down, As you cannot easily control the rate of expansion of the foam it could over lift the external panel leaving a bump, and it might also disturbed nearby joints causing a leak. - better the devil you know...

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
IMO, very much another case of "leave well alone".

Our 14 year old Hymer puddles on the roof, it just leaves a brown silted mark, that these days I don't even see a need to scrub off. Few other than those on bridges would ever be in a position to see.

Reactions: JezzerB
Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
My roof is far from level, liable to puddle anywhere on the roof. Under normal times, I ensure the van slopes forward to drain the roof, when I put van away Dec to Feb. never had damp. If you have none, I would leave well alone.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Pooling can happen on most caravans. When not in use have it nose down or nose up rather than level and the rain will run off.

Reactions: DaveA1
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thank you all for comments . Will keep using Fenwicks winter wash as usual but will slope van when we get back from next weeks holiday .
Once you have the van clean you only need to apply the Fenwicks Overwintering fluid once for protection through until spring. It needs to be applied in dry conditions and allowed to dry.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I too really wouldnt want to be drilling holes, but I have another suggestion you could try. When you get minor dents in the centre of car panels, they can very often be pulled out by suction. I would suggest protecting the current tape, pour some warm (not boiling) water over the depressed area and gently try a suction puller. That said, i do agree with the others, if its not causing damp, ignore it.

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
I too really wouldnt want to be drilling holes, but I have another suggestion you could try. When you get minor dents in the centre of car panels, they can very often be pulled out by suction. I would suggest protecting the current tape, pour some warm (not boiling) water over the depressed area and gently try a suction puller. That said, i do agree with the others, if its not causing damp, ignore it.
Whilst I am not going to do any drastic things I will have a go at the dent pulling idea as I use one of those large suction disc quite often on another project

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Do you really want to be disturbing what is presently sound, by flexing things and creating a void?
The air within the void will be chilled against the aluminium and cause a "hot spot" for condensation.

IMO, far from a good plan.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Also pulling dents out of a steel car door or wing is different to aluminium which deforms differently to steel and doesn’t have the elasticity. Like others have said most caravan roofs have a tendency to puddle, and sloping the caravan will generally allow water to drain.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts