Discovery

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Had a go in a friends Landrover Discovery series 3 yesterday. Wow! They produced the worlds best luxury 4X4 with the new Rangerover, and now they have produced the perfect mid-range 4X4. We'll ignore the Freelander, but they just can't do any wrong. Not only the best 4X4 but the best car of any type. Who would want to buy anything else? It makes you proud to be a Landrover owner, even if it is an 8 year old Discovery.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Having owned a Land Rover product for the last 5 years, I can tell you exactly why anybody would buy another make of vehicle, RELIABILITY! My Land Rover has had starter motors, a gearbox and a whole list of other parts, I've got a file here 35mm thick of what it's had. Land Rovers- keep 'em!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You clearly haven't tried a toyota prado 3.0 litre diesel turbo. And i don't mean the current model either. The VX/TX series 96-03 are hard to beat and value for money

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have a RR LSE 4.2l and it is a HONEY towing - DO NOT GET A FREELANDER I think they are one of the most unsafe things to drive (and so said Jeremy Clarkson!). Discovery's are ok - but I don't personally like the way they look (and you can't fit 5 dogs in the back!!! he he)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I to have a Disco, but mine is a series 1. Found it great for towing, never had any faults as yet and find it quite economical. We also have a Mitsubishi L200 Animal and have used both for towing. Although the Disco is good, the Animal beats it on stability, but only just. The Animal is a 54 reg covering 24,000 miles and has just had an head gasket failure when it was jsut 12 months old. Fuel consupmtion is frightening, returning approx 23 - 25 mpg when towing (fortunately it is a company vehicle and we don`t pay for any fuel), transmission is a little noisy, and you tend to find that it steams up unless you have the aircon or heater on. Will be tepmted to upgrade and try the Warrior and see if the one we have at the moment is a jinxed motor but give me my Disco any day of the week.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
have just had my first tow with my new Disco 3 diesel.Absolutely brilliant. Have previously owned/towed with Disco td5, Ford Explorer (3) & a poor old Maverick, but this outshines them all.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I drive a 1984 RR which is LPG converted and am delighted with the fuel economy. With LPG at c. 39p per litre my costs equate to about 33 miles per gallon and the emmissions are so low I panicked the local test station when I forgot to turn back to petrol for the MOT. He thought his machine has broken as nothing registered!

Incidently the TD5 Discovery provides better urban fuel economy than the new Mini!

We also have a 1.8 Freelander GS which has been superb and the after sales service excellent. Certainly not a tow truck but far more capable than most. I tow with the 20 year old RR which with 170,000 miles is no youngster but does it with ease.

I hope Ford do tackle the quality issue as it is undoubtably there. But believe me, once you get to know what they can do, no other make of vehicle comes close.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have a Disco3 TDV6 HSE and I have to say it is the best LR I have owned. On the road it handles better than a diesel RR (TD6) although not a luxuerious. The boot is huge, 5 dogs no problem. The torque is great as is the 6 speed auto box. Sure its not the most economical car, on a run it does 30mpg; but it is very easy to live with, multi story car parks are no problem as you can lower the suspension and it turns on a 6pence - which was the most annoying thing with the S2 disco.

Look at lease rates to get the real cost of owning - they are less than the S2 disco. If you are looking for an alround family car that tows there is no competition.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts