Dish washing on caravan site.

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Most times I find it easier to take the pots and pans and plates etc. to the site dishwashing facility, normally they have big sinks and endless hot water, and plenty of space to do the washing up.

The only small nuisance factor is not having an easy way to carry the pots and pans etc.

I've been told some people use supermarket type handbaskets, (strangely perhaps I have never seenanyone use these).

So I started to look around for a folding supermarket type hand basket on line and there are many to choose from

What do you folks use?

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
A rectangular bucket allows dinner plates and saucepans to fit vertically - dirty on the way out - clean and dried on the way back. Likewise most of the easy stuff washed in the van, but any greasy stuff and the grills off the cadac to the site wash-up.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I do the washing up,99%of time using site facilities,as you say loads of space/hot water.I use a normal size washing up bowl to put all dirty washing up stuff in,this then sits in an oversized collapsible camping draining bowl(to Carry to facilities).Wash in normal bowl or sink,swill off in cold water,place all in draining bowl,take back,leave in awning (or shower) overnight,put away in morning and start over :)

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Never ever used on site 'washing up facilities' in 42 years caravanning. --- Oh sorry I have, it's called in a caravan! In which I've done my share over those years at dozens of different sites.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm thinking of getting something like the large version of this:

www.seaflo-uk.com/folding-plastic-storag...e-camping-8841-p.asp

That looks quite heavy, are you sure your wife will be able to carry it? :)

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Anseo said:
Thanks for the replies folks.

]https://www.seaflo-uk.com/folding-plastic-storage--shopping-basket-crate-3-sizes-caravan-motorhome-camping-8841-p.asp
https://www.seaflo-uk.com/folding-p...s-caravan-motorhome-camping-8841-p.asp[/quote
We have had various versions of folding crates over the years. I can’t say that they have been very robust. Perhaps that version will be better.
Also if you take dirty pots and dishes it won’t be very long before food muck gets in the lattice and folding bits of the crate and it will be a swine to clean. Those plastic tubs that Craig posted are much easier to wipe clean. We always used a washin up bowl to take pots to the dishwasher, now mainly use the sink in the van unless it is the Caracas.
Mel

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Mel said:
Anseo said:

]https://www.seaflo-uk.com/folding-plastic-storage--shopping-basket-crate-3-sizes-caravan-motorhome-camping-8841-p.asp
https://www.seaflo-uk.com/folding-p...s-caravan-motorhome-camping-8841-p.asp[/quote
We have had various versions of folding crates over the years. I can’t say that they have been very robust. Perhaps that version will be better.
Also if you take dirty pots and dishes it won’t be very long before food muck gets in the lattice and folding bits of the crate and it will be a swine to clean. Those plastic tubs that Craig posted are much easier to wipe clean. We always used a washin up bowl to take pots to the dishwasher, now mainly use the sink in the van unless it is the Caracas.
Mel

No chance of the hand basketcrate becoming a dirt trap for me Mel, I always have and always will give as much attention to cleanlines of the receptacle as to the contents, otherwise it would be like carrying clean goods in a filthy container.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Exactly my point. Unless you wash/rinse the dirty plates, cups and pans before you put them in the folding crate then the crate is going to get messy and you will be trying to get muck out of the lattice. Not easy. If you are going to wash them before putting in then in the crate then you obviate the need to take them to the pot wash.
Mel

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
We do ours in the caravan and only take really dirty pots to the site facility. Then we balance them in our hands.
Never takes crockery or cutlery to the site pot-wash.

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Mel said:
Exactly my point. Unless you wash/rinse the dirty plates, cups and pans before you put them in the folding crate then the crate is going to get messy and you will be trying to get muck out of the lattice. Not easy. If you are going to wash them before putting in then in the crate then you obviate the need to take them to the pot wash.
Mel

:huh:
Mel, would you apply the same logic to using a dish-washer machine? i.e. thoroughly clean all the dishes before using the dish-washer.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
Anseo said:

We used one of them minus the handles for schlepping the dishes to the pot-wash. However, soon as we got a caravan capable of generating hot water (Never bothered in our Cadet) we used the kitchen sink with a round washing up bowl.

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
CustardAvenger said:
We used one of them minus the handles for schlepping the dishes to the pot-wash. However, soon as we got a caravan capable of generating hot water (Never bothered in our Cadet) we used the kitchen sink with a round washing up bowl.

schlepping

New word for me, I like it, conjures up images of epic struggles with a frying pan, crockery and utensils. :p

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Me neither Anseo never heard the word til now. Learn summats every day!.
ps - I/we don't schlep!

schlep
/ʃlɛp/Submit
INFORMAL•NORTH AMERICAN
verb
gerund or present participle: schlepping
haul or carry (something heavy or awkward).
"she schlepped her groceries home"
(of a person) go or move reluctantly or with effort.
"I would have preferred not to schlep all the way over there to run an errand"

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
Anseo said:
CustardAvenger said:

schlepping

New word for me, I like it, conjures up images of epic struggles with a frying pan, crockery and utensils. :p

Yep! I recall walking up the hill at Castlerigg Hall near Keswick to the Camper's kitchen. I had to drive it last time I was there as I'd put my back out! and were were pitched on the bottom terrace.

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
We use something like this. ---- Always thought that's what they were for?
5621701-lunar-delta-rs-4.jpg

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Gabsgrandad said:
We use something like this. ---- Always thought that's what they were for?
5621701-lunar-delta-rs-4.jpg

So uncluttered, neat, tidy and clean.

Jean is such a star.

But you took the photo Pete, so hats-off to you for your commendable and not insignificant input.

:p

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Aldi currently have a folding trolley in their centre isles - could have multiple caravan site uses including the washing up!
https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-folding-box-truck/p/011603273024700

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
chrisn7 said:
There exists a caravan washing machine, so how about a mini dishwasher? There are a few about but a little on the heavy side..

I have one and you have described her to a tee :woohoo:

Seriously though when out and about I am Chief Dishwasher. Keeps my hand in as some would say.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts