Displaced awning bead

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Over time the white bead in the awning fixing point has worked its way out of one end. I now have a 3" length sticking out one end and nothing in the other end to hold the awning to the caravan rail.I have tried without success to push it back. Does anyone know of a way to get it back? Failing any good advice it will have to go to the caravan awning repair centre.

Regards Jim

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Jim, the only way to do it is to pull it all out, clean the slot in which it sits, soak teh infill in a bucket of warm water and starting one end, slide one edge back into the slot and ease the other edge in with a plastic scraper or such like.

If you try pulling it along, it will most likely tear, then it is a full replacement with new infill.

Try not to stretch it as it will shrink as it cools

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Damian

I think I may not have made myself clear. The white plastic bead is on the edge of the awning, not the caravan awning rail.

Probably due to the fact that the ends were not stitched it has protruded out from one end, leaving none at the other.

Jim

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
We have the same problem of the plastic bead core migrating within the fabric sleeve.

On the Magnum where it is in three lengths, roof and two sides it can be pushed back if the awning is laid out on the ground in the sun to warm up. In needs to be as straight as possible.

The sides slip easily but the roof is a struggle, here progress is only a cm or so each push; I then put a strong clamp on it and try to easy it along by flexing the rest of the bead. Still with the clamp on I leave it in the sun to relax then try it again later. A slow job.

Whilst I can get it all back "in" its also obviously shrunk over the years as I cant get it to fill the other end of the "tube". I was told just get a spare bit and stick it into the void, but I have not tried that yet.

If anyone has an easier way please can we know as it is a real pain.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Kenneth I agree with your solution, but as JTQ says the plastic bead also shrinks leaving me about 4" short ( no jokes please).

I have tried inserting electric cable of the same diameter but it is not tough enough. I am now trying to source a small length of the bead, though I can't find it advertised anywhere.

Jim

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
To get the correct plastic "rod" you can buy the bead in two ways from a caravan shop.

One as the bead itself , normally by the metre.

Second as awning skirt, again by running length.

Cheers John

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts