Jul 21, 2005
Visit site
Hi, another question if someone can help. We haven't picked up our caravan yet and the husband is already talking about what he is going to fit to it. One such "essential" is a safe. I am a bit concerned about him drilling through the floor to fit it - would this not let water in/invalidate warranty etc? Of course the husband is right and I am talking rubbish but could someone please advise!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You should have no problems with water ingress, just make sure that you bolt it through to a decent steel plate on the outside under the floor.

Jul 21, 2005
Visit site
You should have no problems with water ingress, just make sure that you bolt it through to a decent steel plate on the outside under the floor.
oh dear - are you telling me the husbands right? thanks v much - stops me worrying though as I'm sure he would go ahead with it anyway!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
sorry, but we're always right, although there are times when we let you believe that you are right:)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Belt and braces - seal any holes made in the floor with mastic. I didn't bother with a steel plate - I used dome-headed bolts so the nuts are inside the safe. No chance of anyone drilling though the heads or cutting out a section of floor on a busy site.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Belt and braces - seal any holes made in the floor with mastic. I didn't bother with a steel plate - I used dome-headed bolts so the nuts are inside the safe. No chance of anyone drilling though the heads or cutting out a section of floor on a busy site.
The steel plate is to prevent the bolt heads being torn through the ply wood in the unlikely event of some one discovering the safe.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
A safe! what on earth for? I always keep the crown jewels in me strides!
I've got a sense of humour, but CK's allegedly funny comments don't amuse me at all. Why not stop wasting time and make some mature contributions to this forum?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I've got a sense of humour, but CK's allegedly funny comments don't amuse me at all. Why not stop wasting time and make some mature contributions to this forum?
I find CK's comment offensive. The question asked was by a lady and if he is used to responding to requests for information from them in this way it is disturbing.

I hope the moderator is taking note because there are genuine concerns being expressed here about his suitability to remain a user of this forum.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The steel plate is to prevent the bolt heads being torn through the ply wood in the unlikely event of some one discovering the safe.
The bolts supplied are usually coach bolts, i.t. with a small square immidiately below the head. This is designed to bite into the wood and prevent the whole bolt revolving when the nut is tightened. the steel plates supplied with safes usually have a square hold in them to hold this part of the bolt. Without this there is some risk that - in tightening the nut - you will spin the bolt in the wood of the underfloor (only thin ply) and make it very difficult to remove the safe when you want to, i.e. transfet to a new van.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I agree with Mike P & Ray, CK/Andy is not, in my opinion making any useful contribution to this site, and is more often than not, puerile & offensive in his comments. There has already been an attempt to accomodate this type of humour under Chit-chat. If you enter this section of the forum you can & should expect some 'blue' type humour, but I do not think it appropriate on any of the general forums.

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Sara,

Instead of a safe, we use a "pacsafe travelsafe 200" to store spare cash, passports, etc.

The travelsafe 100 is an A4 sized cordura bag, lined with a soft fabric, with a 3 or 4mm stainless steel mesh inbetween. The mesh terminates in a about 1/2 metre of stainless steel cable and a padlock. It's lighter than a conventional safe, you can use it in your car boot when not out with the van, or if you go to a hotel.

TravelSafe: http://www.pac-safe.com/Product.aspx?pId=646 and I think we paid about

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Sara. I agrre with what has been said about fitting a steel plat or very large washer on the under side of the van. I also put some silicon sealant under the plate and around the bolts seal them.

The other thing I thought of was to fit the safe on it's back so that the door opened upwards and I don't have to leave room in the locker to open the door.

We found it a well worth while exercise because we now have no concerns about leaving travel documents and valuables in the van. It may not deter the determined "professional" thief but it does go a long way to protect against the quick theft.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
A safe! what on earth for? I always keep the crown jewels in me strides!
There is a joke doing the rounds at the moment about people emigrating to foreign parts. The question is how do you know a load of English people have arrived in a new country. Because after they have shut down the engines on the Boeing the whining continues.

Thank goodness most of you have a sense of humour whilst others will whine about every thing. Some remarks may be not be to every ones taste but if you ignore the originator they will go away!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts