Do speed cameras...

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
.....know that you are towing? We were heading up the M1 yesterday with the van in tow. There are speed cameras. Obviously for cars the legal limit is 70 but for us tuggers, 60.
We wondered if the speed camera knew we were towing.
This is an entirely academic question of course, we would never exceed the legal limit 🤫
Mel

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Yes and no - the cameras used in the UK can't tell automatically but can tell it's a bulky vehicle and refer the pictures for manual assessment - whether individual police authorities employ people in that role isn't known.

Reactions: Mel
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I don't know if they do here. but last year in France I got caught on the motorway around Blois. Luckily my son picked up my mail otherwise I would not have seen it until we returned and would then have had excess to pay.

I honestly do not believe I was speeding a I was driving cautiously trying to negotiate a complicated area and make sure I got the right exit. Also, I was one of the slowest vehicles around just conscious of no causing a hold up.

But that recognised the caravan. I just sucked it up and paid it. fighting would have been futile.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
So was that an outfit/HGV speed limit that you exceeded or was it a general limit In a restricted area on the motorway. They were quick off the mark with the letter to your UK address.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
On motorways in the UK the Truvelo cameras on the gantreys above the lanes are fixed at 70mph (or at the fixed limit if it is lower.)

On some gantry pillars you will see a camera on a shelf on the outside of the left pillar with a second box adjacent - in some areas they are yellow, in others just the usual galvanised grey but all of them are found on smart motorways (only.) These HADECS cameras can be remotely programmed to the speed limit if it is less than 70mph and are capable of reading the plate of a speeding vehicle across six lanes of vehicles at 100mph so you cannot get away from them.

The yellow cameras on yellow arms above the carriageway in road works are speed averaging so you will be read on two or more sets and your speed averaged out. The latest type are quite small (and singular) and there will be a pole with (usually) six or eight infra-red lamps a short distance in front of the cameras.

There are devices that can 'see' the size of vehicles but more often than not these are associated with HGVs and low bridges etc. I doubt any one of such would or could ever be used against a caravan - motorhomes would come ahead of them as most are bigger!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Presuming the information about the camera's is correct in the magazine article, there is no mention of automatic vehicle type identification.

Some cameras do have ANPR then in theory, if the base computer was quick enough the number plate could be tied to a type of vehicle and if a lower speed limit were applicable the camera system could flag it up and automatically issue a notice of intent to prosecute.

Presently there would be no way for it to automatically identify a domestic car towing a trailer, as it only goes by number plate. Presently it would require a human to review the pictures and to pick out those that are

But never say never, because I have absolute certainty that it won't be long before the systems will be able to automatically recognise when a vehicle is towing and a lower speed limit is applicable,

For your information, There are systems being developed that can measure vehicle axle loads whilst travelling at quite high speeds, These were being trailed for ferry companies to assist with load balancing, but they are also being used in other parts of the world for traffic weight enforcement. I understand the UK government is interested.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
So was that an outfit/HGV speed limit that you exceeded or was it a general limit In a restricted area on the motorway. They were quick off the mark with the letter to your UK address.

It had to recognise that I was towing and apply the appropriate fine, certainly just about every car around was flying past me. The French toll cameras can identify different vehicles I believe.

And yes, I think the letter dropped through my door after about 1 week. As we were caught on day 3 of 7 weeks and the fine escalated if not paid within 4 weeks. I was lucky that my son was seeing to my post.

It came with a well written English translation and full, clear instructions for how to pay or appeal. A very efficient system to gather revenue.

John

Last edited:
Reactions: Mel and otherclive
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
One of the Woosies was caught and fined on an A road exactly as Mel described. Can’t remember if it was a hand held or fixed. No names🤪 Don’t tell him Pike🤪🤪

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts