Do we tax payers bale out Jaguar and Land Rover?

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
G

Alan,

You miss understand my double entendre.

The majority of customers that would buy a product from JLR actually do so. Again I state, Jaguars etc have never been mainstream suppliers, they are niche suppliers and therefore satisfy that need. Measured against the 'big boys such as Toyota and Hinda and they fall down terribly. The problem is that niche markets can dry up as quickly as they appear. Just look at AC or TVR or even Bristol. Great cars, but not enough sales to keep them going. This is nothing new. Riley and Wolseley all followed similar paths, first into the amorphous mouth of BMC and later British Leyland and even Rover succumbed in the end. When you have an industry with very high local costs competing against one that doesn't. then things can go wrong. It can work for a while as Honda in Swindon and Nissan in Washington showed. The skills are there but the costs are too high.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Scotch Lad

I think I may have said earlier that if JLR are to survive they need to review their market sector and pricing.

More worrying is that none of us know exactly what Tata have planned. I have read "gossip" that both Jag and LR are destined for India where manufacturing costs are a fraction of here.

Whether QC of a LR made in Delhi can compete with a Solihull product remains to be seen.

I for one would love a big diesel Rangie but in truth cannot afford it and also my Pacific Rim 4x4 does everything asked.

Survival in these dark times means some radical thinking of " who is my market"? "Is my selling price correctly pitched"?

Cheers

Alan

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
also what about astin martin getting rid off 600 jobs. if they lowered the price of there latest car maybe they could afford to keep the staff in jobs.

im sure i heard it was over a million correct me if im wrong lol.

jo

May 25, 2008
Visit site
Alan

I don't know where you buy your Christmas Crackers from but this joke is a Gem " Whether QC of a LR made in Delhi can compete with a Solihull product remains to be seen " Ho Ho Ho

I can't stop Laughing one thing JLR never had was QC !!!!!!!!

Happy New Year

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Gumbo,

I was just trying to be patriotic. LOL . Unfortunately I have to agree with you but you would have thought all the workers at Solihull would have done something to improve quality!!

Cheers

Alan

May 25, 2008
Visit site
at brown lane because my partner worked there

Not many can claim to have done that Jo Anne work at brown lane that is !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
To answer the original question, no, we should not bail out JLR. I have owned LR products for lots of years now, and Jaguars before that, and if you cut me in half, you'd probably find a green oval inside, like a stick of rock; but, I'm afraid that since the demise of the classic Range Rover in 1995, they have lost the plot altogether. The cars became far too sophisticated, and went too far up-market from the original 80" utility. They now produce too many models which are close together on price and customer base, and to expect utility vehicle users to pay the ridiculous money they now charge for a Defender is ludicrous, which is why farmers etc now by Japanese.

My crrent Range Rover is 15years old next month, and I'm fortunate in that I can maintain it myself in the main, and so can afford to keep it on the road, but when the time comes to replace it, I have an awful feeling it will be with a Korean-made Hyundai Terracan. I just hope that day is a long time away.

RIP Land Rover, I'm afraid.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
We are talking about an INDIAN owned company here!!

Tata can do what they want. Even Lord Hezza can't help!!!!!!!

Cheers

Alan

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts