Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
I've been a couple of times now to a site in South Cerney, only a few miles from my storage and probably only about 30 miles from home. I've decided to go away for this bank holiday weekend and I'm stopping at Burford, even closer to home and not even out of the county! I stopped at Burford before when I had my fridge service booked at place down the road first thing in the morning. I quite enjoy going "locally" and feel every bit as "on holiday" as 100 miles away. It's a nice way to kick back for a weekend without spending a fortune on fuel and play "caravan" for a couple of days. I can get little jobs done too without worrying about the storage closing time. Some might think I'm mad when I have a perfectly good bricks 'n' mortar flat half hour journey away but I can spend time in a prettier area and escape all the things I don't like about flat life, eg. lack of garden and "STOMP STOMP STOMP" above my head constantly.

Any local tourers on here? What is the closest you've stopped to home?

Jul 8, 2020
Visit site
I must admit i have 2 local sites i use the closest is only a 20 min drive and the second is an 90 min drive , I love both for the same reasons as yourself , it sure does still feel like a holiday (y)

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
We have Eastnor Castle 25 mins away. Still use it occasionally but it is now organised and overtaken by events. A long time ago you just turned up. parked up on the deer park and someone would take a small amount of money off you, (but not always). For year's a group of us went every other weekend.

John

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
We have Gullivers Land, in Milton keynes probably 4 miles away from us and The Rose and Crown, in Ridgemont, a nice little Cl site about 5 miles away. Just nice to get away.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I live in the heart of the Black Country, once a heavily industrialised urban area but the heavy industry has gone which in many ways has improved the local environment.
There are a wealth of small certified sites and larger caravan parks within an hours drive from us, including Shropshire, Worcestershire and even parts of Warwickshire.
We often take long weekend breaks in our rural 'back garden'.
It's often been said that the best part of the Black Country is the road out of it, and within a ten minute drive we can be in the open countryside if we head west.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We live In Malvern, store the caravan in Malvern and use a site in Malvern for weekend breaks. Site is about 2 -3 miles from storage location. It is the change of scenery that helps.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Living on the Wilts Gloucs border we often use the CAMC Moreton In Marsh. A lovely Cotswold area and great hostelries.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
With us living in North Lincolnshire use to love going Woodhall Country park in Woodhall Spar do a bit of fishing , i found it to be a relaxing break

Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
we went "away" last weekend to our favourite CL, its about 25 mins tow, and about 10 mins from my sister-in-laws house.
It was a fantastic relaxing weekend with take away food and chilling out. I took Friday off work so the caravan was set up by 12:30pm. My wife drove over after work in our MG, it was really nice to explore the country lanes and visit a couple of market towns.

Last bank holiday weekend we stayed at a CL about 45 mins tow from home, again really relaxing as in-laws were staying on the same site, great food, great company and really relaxing. And I found time to polish and wax the 'van before winter.

Closest we have stayed is 2 miles from home (we have some lovely countryside around us) even though we were so close to home it still feels like you are away.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
we went "away" last weekend to our favourite CL, its about 25 mins tow, and about 10 mins from my sister-in-laws house.
It was a fantastic relaxing weekend with take away food and chilling out. I took Friday off work so the caravan was set up by 12:30pm. My wife drove over after work in our MG, it was really nice to explore the country lanes and visit a couple of market towns.

Last bank holiday weekend we stayed at a CL about 45 mins tow from home, again really relaxing as in-laws were staying on the same site, great food, great company and really relaxing. And I found time to polish and wax the 'van before winter.

Closest we have stayed is 2 miles from home (we have some lovely countryside around us) even though we were so close to home it still feels like you are away.
Any pictures of the MG i hope you had a nice time

Reactions: Bluetonic
May 7, 2012
Visit site
We do have short breaks from time to time at local sites. Living in Lanarkshire we have used sites at Loch Lomond and Culzean Castle both an easy drive for us. More just getting away for a short break than site seeing.

Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
Stopped at Burford CAMC site weekend just gone. Enjoyed it very much. Heard a blood curdling roar on the first night. Can only presume it was one of the lions at Cotswold Wildlife Park nearby! Made sure door was properly locked before going to bed, just in case! 🦁

Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Lots of rumours over the years of wild large cats around the whole of that area. . Wise move, how did your dog react to the sound.

Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
Lots of rumours over the years of wild large cats around the whole of that area. . Wise move, how did your dog react to the sound.
He wasn't with me that night. He is actually my parent's dog, I just steal him to take caravanning every now and then. I wasn't allowed him because I'd not long had a week in Wales with him!

The roar must have been from the wildlife park, it's right next door.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
No, I didn't think it would count. :)

We have a couple of sites within the 30 mile radius but for us there is no reason to go to them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts