Does any one else do this??.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
We had hoped to go away again but when the lock down was announced we changed our minds and decided to put the van to bed. We went to the storage compound emptied the the food, arranged the bedding and cupboards to allow free movement of air, checked the loo was fully drained and blew out the water lines. Closed all reflecting blinds to 90% with fly blinds covering the other 10%. Roof blinds just fly screens to allow some sun heating on warm days.

I then jacked the van up onto bricks so the tyres are just off the ground and left the van with a rearward tilt. I don’t see anyone else in storage that do that last bit in particular. Hence the question in the title.

John

Reactions: DaveA1
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We had hoped to go away again but when the lock down was announced we changed our minds and decided to put the van to bed. We went to the storage compound emptied the the food, arranged the bedding and cupboards to allow free movement of air, checked the loo was fully drained and blew out the water lines. Closed all reflecting blinds to 90% with fly blinds covering the other 10%. Roof blinds just fly screens to allow some sun heating on warm days.

I then jacked the van up onto bricks so the tyres are just off the ground and left the van with a rearward tilt. I don’t see anyone else in storage that do that last bit in particular. Hence the question in the title.

John
I leave the van nose down. But try and go and rotate the wheels each month. I also put a screenwash antifreeze for -10 deg C which pump through the toilet pump. I also pour some into the sinks for u bend protection.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I leave the van nose down. But try and go and rotate the wheels each month. I also put a screen wash antifreeze for -10 deg which I pump through the toilet pump. I also pour some into the sinks for u bend protection.
Same here, As John, water pipes blown through, also disconnect the the pump. Open all cupboards and make a point of airing the van on sunny days.
As OC -10 deg screen wash in toilet header tank, pumped through to ensure plenty in pump.
Will removed wheels and put van on axle stands and winter wheels , high enough for run off, have a hitching post so stands need to be high.
Only usually do this Dec & Jan. but might as well do it early. this year.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Everything but not the wheels off the ground. Good move but in our case , Covid excepted we try and go away most months

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I leave the van nose down. But try and go and rotate the wheels each month. I also put a screenwash antifreeze for -10 deg C which pump through the toilet pump. I also pour some into the sinks for u bend protection.

I like the anti freeze idea. The only way of draining our Dometic Is to run the pump until dry, but has been OK thus far.

You have a posh van if it has ‘U’ bends 😁

When we have left the van tilted forwards the front widow surrounds got dirty. Trying backwards this year, no back window.

John

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
The only thing we do different we emptied the caravan stand the cushions up to allow air to circulate open all cupboards and doors, fridge door, wardrobe door . Leave open Taps including the shower, winterised . fridge covers on the outside
We put Kontrol Streamline Moisture traps . x3 and Scented compact dehumidifier moisture absorber x3 and put around the caravan put breathable cover on
But i also like the Anti freeze idea .
We even put mesh down in the front box to stop anything getting in .
The tyres I like to rotate with the mover

Attachments

• kontrol_streamline_moisture_trap_with_refil.jpg
    kontrol_streamline_moisture_trap_with_refil.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 1
  • m277.png
    m277.png
    64.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The only thing we do different we emptied the caravan stand the cushions up to allow air to circulate open all cupboards and doors open taps including the shower . fridge covers on the outside
We put Kontrol Streamline Moisture traps . x3 and Scented compact dehumidifier moisture absorber x3 and put around the caravan put breathable cover on
But i also like the Anti freeze idea .
We even put mesh down in the front box to stop anything getting in .
The tyres I like to rotate with the mover
It’s not antifreeze that I use its screenwash that a make up to a -10 deg C ratio.

Oct 21, 2020
Visit site
The screen wash is a good idea, we try and get away every other weekend but will have to rethink that most likely.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Got some tips here I will probably try, the tilting the van which is probably a good idea all year round with the rain we get in the uk, I’m def gonna pump the screen wash thru the loo pump, I read on here previously but I can’t find it about blowing thru the taps to get the water out so any tips? I don’t know if got U bends but I’ll pour some down just in case, we've had a bit of a frost last couple of nights so might do the tilt and screen wash at the weekend, not gonna do much yet because lockdown being over we are going away 10th December, we had planned to do a trip every month, we managed July, August, September and October but a trip to Rutland next Thursday obviously got cancelled, December is booked for a site in Gloucester area.

BP

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I like the anti freeze idea. The only way of draining our Dometic Is to run the pump until dry, but has been OK thus far.

You have a posh van if it has ‘U’ bends 😁

When we have left the van tilted forwards the front widow surrounds got dirty. Trying backwards this year, no back window.

John
I would hardly call a Sprite posh😀 but I fitted 28 mm water trap so not strictly U bends. I put them in a couple of years back in anticipation of a summer trip abroad, but that was cancelled but the UK had a hot summer in 2018 anyway.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Got some tips here I will probably try, the tilting the van which is probably a good idea all year round with the rain we get in the uk, I’m def gonna pump the screen wash thru the loo pump, I read on here previously but I can’t find it about blowing thru the taps to get the water out so any tips? I don’t know if got U bends but I’ll pour some down just in case, we've had a bit of a frost last couple of nights so might do the tilt and screen wash at the weekend, not gonna do much yet because lockdown being over we are going away 10th December, we had planned to do a trip every month, we managed July, August, September and October but a trip to Rutland next Thursday obviously got cancelled, December is booked for a site in Gloucester area.

BP
La Niña is prevalent which can lead to very cold early winters in Western Europe. My buddy in Canberra is fed up with the rain another facet of La Niña.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I read on here previously but I can’t find it about blowing thru the taps to get the water out so any tips?

BP

You can get the proper kit to blow the water system though. But that's overpriced in my opinion. I did make a mock up once with a bellows pump but all I do now, and it works. is:

• Drain down as much as possible.
  • Close all taps.
  • Remove shower head. Put shower control open and to mid position
  • Open nearest tap to the shower, midway between hot and cold.
  • Blow through the shower hose until you get free air from that tap.
  • Repeat with all taps ending with the drain tap.
Jobs done.​

John

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I have the caravan nose down but not sure any others on storage site have. Water drained and pipes blown through and toilet empty.
I have 10 amp solar panel connected to battery, cupboards open as far as possible and have all blinds open to show nothing worth stealing in there. If not used for over a month I do move it to try and prevent flat spots on tyres.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We do everything as per the OP and have our caravan slightly nose up. We have the steadies down which takes some of the weight off the tyres.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
JezzerB make sure that the rear skylight surround is not cracked. You may need to stand on the bed, open the skylight and check the surround outside.

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I am planning to do a bit of winterising at the weekend and I’ll give blowing through the shower hose, I was just wondering about blowing down shower hose with the Gale 12volt awning pump, is it likely to damage anything?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I am planning to do a bit of winterising at the weekend and I’ll give blowing through the shower hose, I was just wondering about blowing down shower hose with the Gale 12volt awning pump, is it likely to damage anything?
Just take shower head off and blow it yourself. Normally shifts water out. A post above gives a step by step guide to a DIY approach using lung/power.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Water is only an issue if there is an amount of it built up by a tap or in the filter. Make sure that you remove the filter for winter as that holds a lot of water and may crack. The first you will know of that is when you go to use the caravan in the spring and it suddenly floods.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Water is only an issue if there is an amount of it built up by a tap or in the filter. Make sure that you remove the filter for winter as that holds a lot of water and may crack. The first you will know of that is when you go to use the caravan in the spring and it suddenly floods.

Mine has no filter. Thought they had discontinued them???

I just make sure the excess is over the wheel arch, then it will drain down through the drain point.

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I made up my own Water Blow through, adaptor, plugs into the water inlet, using the airpump from the Air awning, open individual taps and woosh, amasing the amount of water that comes out. Don't need to up or down the caravan as it is stored under cover. ( but I will get that pidgeon) hoping to get out in December, Grove Lock Caravan site. Near Leighton Buzzard,, Bedfordshire.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts