Does anyone tow with an S Max?

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
My Amara's MTPLM is 91% of my kerbweight but I don't think the van is actually at that maximum. Interestingly, I checked my noseweight and found that it was well over what it should be (75kg) for the car as I'd put heavy stuff to the front, as is normally recommended. When I looked at the van's handbook its unladen noseweight was 65kg so not a lot to play with. I've now got everything under the fixed bed which has only slightly affected stability but means my mudflaps don't get shorter with each bump! How is yours loaded?
you can not go off the web site you have to check the vehicles hand book and if still not sure check with ford technical, i checked with ford and my S max 2.0 tdci has a nose weight maximum of 75 kgs.

Jul 9, 2006
Visit site
My Amara's MTPLM is 91% of my kerbweight but I don't think the van is actually at that maximum. Interestingly, I checked my noseweight and found that it was well over what it should be (75kg) for the car as I'd put heavy stuff to the front, as is normally recommended. When I looked at the van's handbook its unladen noseweight was 65kg so not a lot to play with. I've now got everything under the fixed bed which has only slightly affected stability but means my mudflaps don't get shorter with each bump! How is yours loaded?
The S Max has only very recently has its nose weight increased to 90kgs. The pre 2008.5 model year are still at 75kgs. Just like my Touran.

Jul 9, 2006
Visit site
Last time we went away i checked the nose weight and it was 85 kgs, we removed some of the clutter that had collected in the front and with the items under the fixed be the nose weight came down to 75 kgs.

I have to admit that the van towed better at 85 kgs but with the s max being only 75 kgs max its a choice i have to make, overload the nose by 10 kgs and have a very stable tow or load it to its limit of 75 and have a slightly twitchy tow in windy conditions. personally i think i might try 80 kgs when i go to the isle of white next week, if i do get pulled for a check i cant see vospa being too concerned about 5 kgs.
You're right, they won't. They'll only be concerned that you haven't exceeded the MTPLM, the max tow weight of the car and axle weights. I don't think they carry calibrated nose weight gauges.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts