Does Britain have an equivalent to Route 66?

Aug 2, 2006
Visit site
Dear all

Click this. It has caused a lot of discussion in the Practical Caravan office this week - various people have travelled on bits of Route 66, but the hardest thing was trying to work out if there is a UK equivalent. It's not neccesarily a pretty road, but it should go from somewhere to somewhere, have been in song or film and be of some historical interest.

I think it's a tough choice between the A1 and the A5 but would love to hear other suggestions. Who knows. It might make a feature...

Cheers

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
I think our route 66 is the beloved A14 running from the port of Felixstow 127 miles to the Catthorpe interchange the M1/M6.
As for a song about it try "The road to hell" particularly apt for the stretch between Huntingdon and Cambridge.

Aug 2, 2006
Visit site
A68 has some very pretty stretches and the stretch from the A1 to Consett is my route to the Elddis factory several times a year. Favourite with motorcycles too. The A14 is a bit harder to love tho. Is there still a McDonalds, shaped liked a flying saucer at Alconbury? I used to live in Huntingdon and passed it on my way to work every day...

Aug 2, 2006
Visit site
G Stockton said:
Hmm whats wrong with our own A66 then

Go here.
http://practicalcaravan.com/blog/where-britains-route-66

A66 gets a mention. I didn't realise it used to go to Hull...

A303 gets a mention by Niall, the mag's dep ed but I'm not convinced, despite Stonehenge...

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
The A65, from Leeds to Kendal - the starting point in Leeds is busy and urban, but from Guiseley onwards it becomes much more interesting. There are plenty of places to stop and take refreshments, including some great pubs, and the road winds through the most beautiful scenery imaginable. It's a real 'bikers' route too - with the stop-off at Devil's Bridge near Kirby Lonsdale!
There are all sorts of optional 'add-ons' such as the B6479 up to the Ribblehead viaduct, and then over the Yorkshire Moors to Hawes - another great 'biker' route and both are equally good for car drivers.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The A361 at 195 miles is the longest 3 digit road in England running from Ilfracombe North Devon to Kilsby near Rugby.
A real rough and tumble nomark road if ever there was one.
Amongst many historic places it passes through Glastonbury famous for rock concert festivals,Street home to Clarks shoes, Avebury, the druid stones, Swindon home of Brunel's Great Western Railway, Lechlade on the Thames, through parts of the Cotswolds, Banbury famous for its"ride a white horse to Banbury Cross" , Daventry with all its radio masts ending at Kilsby.
It just misses where I live!
smiley-laughing.gif

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Nigel Donnelly said:
Dear all

Click this. It has caused a lot of discussion in the Practical Caravan office this week - various people have travelled on bits of Route 66, but the hardest thing was trying to work out if there is a UK equivalent. It's not neccesarily a pretty road, but it should go from somewhere to somewhere, have been in song or film and be of some historical interest.

I think it's a tough choice between the A1 and the A5 but would love to hear other suggestions. Who knows. It might make a feature...

Cheers

"The Road to the Isles" ?

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Fosseway. Mainly the A46 but it becomes around here the[ B4114 B4455 A 429]ect ect. before at some piont again becoming the A46, and later changing again.

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
It's got to be the M25 today, you'll never never ever be alone on the charming M25 and it has so much to see and some really charming service areas. The M25 is a very sociable road
smiley-laughing.gif
. Of course it is also never ending so you can enjoy it for as long as you want. It's rumoured that some get on it and never get off as they are so mesmerised as it has so much to see including a nice bridge and tunnel river crossing and the attractive toll area
smiley-wink.gif
It also has it's own song by Chris Rea 'The Road to Hell'
Chris
ps
The 25 can start and finish wherever you choose, what more would you want
smiley-smile.gif

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The B4257 from Pontlottyn to LLechryyd in the Rhymney Valley.

Not much of a road, no great views but I'd like to see how someone could get those into the lyrics
smiley-undecided.gif

Feb 10, 2009
Visit site
There is a few good scenic routes throughout these British Isles. Our A66 going from Middlesborough in the east across the Penines and through the Lake District to Workington on the west coast. In Scotland there is the A82 from Glasgow, going up past Loch Lomond, through Glencoe to Fort William. Then northward along the Caledonian Canal and Loch Ness to Inverness. Very picturesque.

TRENDING THREADS