Dog cr*p everywhere

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 11, 2005
Visit site
To reply to Scotch Lad I would say one step at a time! Its a nice idea to ask everyone to take their cr*p (are we allowed to say crap on here?) home but lets get everyone picking it up first. We have 3 german shepherds and a terrier (which seems to produce more of the stuff than all the big ones) and so I need to shift tons of it. I rang the council and asked them what I should do with the stuff I pick up in the garden and they told me to take it to the local park and put it in the bin. I tried this but after a couple of weeks I discovered that my bags had been taken out of the bin and thrown in the long grass (presumably by the bin man). I told the council and after a lot of thought they told me to double bag it and put it in the dustbin so thats what I do. You can buy dog loos but I dont know how well they work.

Many dog enthusiasts suport the idea of a dog licence but something on the lines of the driving licence with compulsory attendance at an approved training course and a test to confirm competance. There are so many dogs in this country and they are so easily available that it would be difficult to enforce but even promotion of a voluntary scheme would help.

Just a quick word to all you non dog lovers out there, I respect your opinion (but you dont know what you are missing)! Jim.
What picking up dog poo?

What else do you do for a laugh!!!!!!!!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
To reply to Scotch Lad I would say one step at a time! Its a nice idea to ask everyone to take their cr*p (are we allowed to say crap on here?) home but lets get everyone picking it up first. We have 3 german shepherds and a terrier (which seems to produce more of the stuff than all the big ones) and so I need to shift tons of it. I rang the council and asked them what I should do with the stuff I pick up in the garden and they told me to take it to the local park and put it in the bin. I tried this but after a couple of weeks I discovered that my bags had been taken out of the bin and thrown in the long grass (presumably by the bin man). I told the council and after a lot of thought they told me to double bag it and put it in the dustbin so thats what I do. You can buy dog loos but I dont know how well they work.

Many dog enthusiasts suport the idea of a dog licence but something on the lines of the driving licence with compulsory attendance at an approved training course and a test to confirm competance. There are so many dogs in this country and they are so easily available that it would be difficult to enforce but even promotion of a voluntary scheme would help.

Just a quick word to all you non dog lovers out there, I respect your opinion (but you dont know what you are missing)! Jim.
I contribute to this forum! Jim.

G

An amusing?? at least to many, story appeared in Edinburgh a few months back. A local Far Eastern resturant was accused?? of using 4 legged pooch in some of its meals. The accuser was another far Eastern restuarant whose business was not doing so well. Despite flat denials the accused restaurant trade dropped drastically and I believe it was chop sticks at dawn between the owners.

Pity really, I have never tasted sweet and sour Peke, but I am assured it can be quite good, and one should always be open to new ideas.

Now if the Koreans were to come over here in numbers...? Could solve the stray problem at the stroke of a wok, as they say..

Just a thought...

Aug 30, 2007
Visit site
Hi JP

Sadly one of my neighbours does not like cats.

He doesn't like slugs either so puts down slug pellets which seem to have seen off all the Hedgehogs in the area.

I was also found to be illegally putting down rat poison as we live near a stream.

Personally I prefer to let nature take its course on the slugs and encourage the frogs in our water feature to deal with them naturally.

Similarly, cats were first domesticated to keep down vermin. The do this well and are far better than poison in my view.

The law does actually recognise a cats "right to wander". You can be prosecuted for allowing your dog to wander but not your cat as it cannot be trained. In fact if you harm a cat on your land, it is you that can be prosecuted.

Common sense in my book. Whilst cats do sadly take the occasional bird they do far more good round here keeping the vermin down.

G

Don't know if I agree with that. You can get dogs who are just born mean, just like humans. The one advantage is you can tie the mean dogs up, unfortunately we cannot evidently do the same to mean humans.

I still feel there should be some form of licensing scheme, and not just a revenue collecting excercise. It should also be a sliding scale upwards, depending on the number of dogs. It might make a few irresponsible owners think a bit more, and at the very )least there could be some funds to repair the damage they cause (dogs and owners. However, I do accept that this Government would just grab the loot and run away with it, so until that changes, forget it.

Feb 4, 2007
Visit site
Sorry, but my experiences are different. Ihave lived in my current house for fifteen years and in that time I have had about 4 dog turds on my front lawn. The area in my back garden which prepared as a rockery and covered with gravel has become toilet central for all the local cats. I have given up on it as I am fed up getting cat turd on my hand every time I try to do anything in it. Also my car is scratched all over from cats climbing all over it. We had a budgie several years ago which was killed by a cat which came into the house when we left the door open. I dont mind cats as such but i think there should be grater control over them.

Colin.

Feb 4, 2007
Visit site
Sorry, but my experiences are different. Ihave lived in my current house for fifteen years and in that time I have had about 4 dog turds on my front lawn. The area in my back garden which prepared as a rockery and covered with gravel has become toilet central for all the local cats. I have given up on it as I am fed up getting cat turd on my hand every time I try to do anything in it. Also my car is scratched all over from cats climbing all over it. We had a budgie several years ago which was killed by a cat which came into the house when we left the door open. I dont mind cats as such but i think there should be grater control over them.

Colin.
greater

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
We have stayed at 15 CC sites this year and generally I have not noticed much mess about. We have two Springer Spaniels and always carry poo bags for picking up. At Grin Low the other wek we were pitched in a corner by a very pleasant grass area. Amazingly some selfish , lazy owner had let their dog cr-p there and not cleaned up. We cleaned up for fear of getting the blame!Without wishing to be prejudiced or politically incorrect I have observed offenders who are older and slightly infirm allowing mess to remain uncollected. Maybe their arthritis precludes them from bending down to pick up?? It is these few who are ruining for everyone else and then decent dog owners like me get the blame.

Cheers

Alan

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Hello Alan,

It is not on the the CL that I found the problem in Devon - it was the town's and walks that we found covered in the stuff. I remember years ago however, at the CC Troutbeck site, watching a couple with FOUR dogs, letting them ' excercise' on an empty pitch directly opposite mine. When I challenged him he said 'not to worry, it was only No 1's' !! I explained to him, in Anglo Saxon, that next time my bladder was full, I might well seek him out and use his pitch! As they say, it takes all sorts.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Rod

It never ceases to amaze me how some people treat property and public areas. Local councils have signs everywhere warning that dog fouling now carries a fine . But who is supposed to police this and indeed pay the cost?I guess we are stuck with the selfish litter louts, grafitti artists and dog cra-pers.I noticed toilets left unclean. Do these people leave their own home toilets dirty??

Cheers

Alan

Oct 19, 2007
Visit site
I agree completely Alan. This happens to be one (of many) peeves that I have with general society today. A dog is the owners responsibility and I know many dog owners who clean their mess up and I cannot understand those who do not.

On the same note, you've already mentioned the treatment of public toilets but also spitting chewing gum in the street and littering are others. I just think that public areas are no longer treated with the respect of previous years. We are all tax payers and therefore directly contribute towards the upkeep of the land, it should be treated as such

Rant over

Jul 11, 2005
Visit site
Cats were useing our car as a step up to the garage roof.

It soon stopped after I stuck strips of carpet gripper along the edge of the roof with mastic.

Edd

May 21, 2007
Visit site
Colin,

I preferred grater.

I live in a village near Daventry and we do have a slight problem with doggy poo in the streets.I have found that it is usually the older population who allow their pets to c**p everywhere.I've also seen it in Daventry.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Can't understand why dog owner are not using dog cr-p bin provide round the villages and town, we all way use them even on club site as well, we would't mind if the caravan club start to charge for dogs on site, that will sort out the one that won't pay. Trevor

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
j&p. you wrote.

"I am forever chasing cats out of my garden, we keep a well stocked bird table and it atracts lots of birds, unfortunately it also attracts the cats! Jim."

Did you know that they actually attract rats too!

by that i mean well stocked bird tables!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi giovanni, yes rats can be a problem but you can reduce it by only putting out small amounts of food and not replacing it until it has been eaten, make sure that no food is left out overnight and generally keep the whole area clear. The food should be off the ground and ideally suspended to make it hard for the rats to reach, but they are excellent climbers and very intelligent.

Another unwelcome (in my opinion) visitor is the sparrow hawk. I know I should be pleased to have such a visitor but I find it hard when he takes "my" birds from right under my nose. The screams when he takes starlings is particularly distressing. But, unlike your average spoilt rotten moggy, he does need to feed himself. Jim.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts