dog re-entery into the uk on return from holiday

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
I am I bit confused as my vet has just told me that I will have to wait 6 months before I can re-enter the uk from france after he has had the rabies jab.
On reading the new defra rules it does not mention this restriction. I understood that as long as my dog had the rabies jab 21 days before exiting the uk and having the worm treatment before re-entery I could bring him back with no time restriction. As it is our first holiday abroad with our dog would like to hear from experienced dog owners who regularly take their dog on holiday with them, any advice please.

many thanks
Karen Revell

Jul 20, 2005
Visit site
Hello,
We had an extended break last year with our dogs and certainly didn't have their rabies inoculations six months ahead - probably more like 2 - 3 months. DEFRA rules have changed over the years and as long as they have their doggy passports and the worming treatment before re-entry all should be fine. However, if you are confused, why not check with your vet - he/she will have the most up to date information.

Jo

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
I would change your vet, it is nothing like 6 months or even weeks,
I cant remember exactly but im sure it is a week or two once they have had the rabies jab.
If you take the worming tablets with you most vets don't charge.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Whenever questions like this arise, I am always amazed that the questioner is prepared to take advice from a forum rather than seeking the proper advice from in this case Defra. Once armed with the official information you should then confirm the arrangements with your vet.

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
I had already down loaded and read the rules on the Defra site and understood them, as this is the first time we have ever taken a dog abroad and our holiday is booked I wanted advice from more experienced dog owners who have already done this!!!!!!
JOANNE
Many thanks for your reply my vet has now telephoned me back and confirmed the new Defra rules, can you give me any advice on what happens when you get to the ferry port on how to proceed booking in ferry is booked and they know we have a dog with us.
Regards

Karen

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
all ports/ferry companies operate roughly the same on the way out, you have to arrive 1 hour before your sailing( why I don't know as the checking in is very quick). On the way back you gave to take your dogs to a vet to be checked over and given their worming tablet, we take our own from our uk vets they don't mind, the important thing to remember is that the dog has to be seen no more than 5 days before your return and at least 24 hour before return.
Once at Calais (for example) you check in first, then hand over your pet passport they make sure you are within timescales, they will give you a hand held scanner for you to scan the chip, once scanned hand it back to be checked against the pet passport and that's it.
We have been waved down once in 6 trips by an animal welfare officer who was licked vigorously by our dogs and sent on our way.
On thing we do is delay leaving the car deck until the last possible moment mainly due to the strange noises on the ferry, we have found by buying a couple of cases of wine which we could take down to the car deck with a steward that the dogs tend to curl up and go to sleep

Jul 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi,
We have only used the tunnel with the dogs, but I assume that it is a similar system at all points of exit from France. Just follow the signs (usually a "paw print") and all that is done is checking the passport is up to date (the French vet will complete the part about worming and also certify that the dog is able to travel) and then once the chip has been checked to be sure that the papers relate to the right dog, you proceed to check in in the usual way. We worried a bit the first time, but it really is very simple.
Have a good break.
Jo

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts