Dog rear seat protectors

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Our previous car, a Superb estate, had the arrangements where the bases of the rear seats could lift up and sometimes we would use the area to carry the dogs. They could benefit too from the air con via B pillar outlets. This current car has no such (useful) arrangements so ordinarily the dogs go in the load area. They are getting a bit too “ stiff” to put into their crate. So as our journey north to Yorkshire will see “strong spring sunlight beating down through the rear window“ I’m thinking of buying a seat protector so they can be carried just behind us strapped in with their harnesses. Gives them protection from the sun and better ventilation too.

Has anyone any recommendations for such kit. The dogs weigh just under 20 kg each.

Oct 22, 2019
Visit site
ebay - Clive, we have one like these on our backseat of pickup, good thick quality, our dog normally goes in her travel crate unless there's a full house in the car in which case she sits in the middle.
The only slight annoyance is it can be fiddly at times to get the seat belts through the velcro holes.

Reactions: otherclive
Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
I have a very similar one, but is the 'Hammock' type which attaches to the front seat too. It had, what it called 'Seat Anchors', straps with plastic tubes on to go under the back rest; I cut these off as they were useless. I kind of wrap this seat protector around a square dog bed, which the dog travels in, (and leaves a rear seat free) so he does not move about under braking.

My dog likes to look out of the window, so will stand on the door arm rest, but he is too small to do any damage, but you can get door protectors if your dogs like to stick their heads out the window.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have a very similar one, but is the 'Hammock' type which attaches to the front seat too. It had, what it called 'Seat Anchors', straps with plastic tubes on to go under the back rest; I cut these off as they were useless. I kind of wrap this seat protector around a square dog bed, which the dog travels in, (and leaves a rear seat free) so he does not move about under braking.

My dog likes to look out of the window, so will stand on the door arm rest, but he is too small to do any damage, but you can get door protectors if your dogs like to stick their heads out the window.
Thanks. We have been out and bought one this afternoon. It is a hammock type. We normally fill the area behind the front seats such that it’s level with the bases of the rear seats. So the hammock will not see much weight. It seems to fit okay, and we bought a harness for one of the dogs. This one is Large and fits comfortably. The redundant one is a German Allsafe and is miles too large for her, but the strength is incredible and would be good enough for rock climbing or parachuting; no buckles to trip. That’s going on Ebay soon.

C0633C04-A6A5-432A-9188-2B72D4FCE021.jpeg

Reactions: Eybygum
Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
That looks like a hefty piece of kit! We tend to clip in the dog on his regular walking harness (he's 7KG) but use the Clix car safe harness for longer journeys; its not great as a normal harness as it has loads of webbing for the adjustment straps and a belt buckle which flails around!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
That looks like a hefty piece of kit! We tend to clip in the dog on his regular walking harness (he's 7KG) but use the Clix car safe harness for longer journeys; its not great as a normal harness as it has loads of webbing for the adjustment straps and a belt buckle which flails around!

It is solely for car travel. The small one fits our other Springer (18kg) very well but the medium is too large for the other dog (20kg) as her build is different. Its been crash tested by TUV and has no clip type buckles only strap through fastenings. You wouldn't want to use it for just walking the dog, but for travel its okay, if it fits that is.

I bought Kurgo travel one which again doesn't use clips to fasten it and uses climbing type fastening.

https://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/...ced-strength-in-car-safety-dog-harness-medium

Apr 28, 2021
Visit site
Our two whippets travel on the back seat of our estate, just in their normal harnesses, and then with their restraint leads either clipped into the seat belt socket or wrapped around the headrest post. I've had to buy cable restraint leads as one of my dogs is a real chewer, with pinking shears for back teeth and destroys webbing in seconds.. We also use one of the sling type seat covers (from Amazon), which anchors on both the front and rear headrests and has side panels which attach to the grab rails above the back passenger doors. It's handy as it leaves the footwells free for storing stuff you don't want covering in dog hair/slobber or in our case, chewing...
I'm very pleased with our seat cover - it's well made and fit for purpose. It does also mean that I get ear licks throughout the car journey...

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We have a "made for purpose" type hammock which clips over the front head rests. Our are Yorkies so no real issue.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
When we had two dogs, down to Harry the rat now, they would travel in the boot area, no restraints but on attached, leads long enough to jump down but not more than 3 feet from the car.
I don't use a harness just slip collars as they behave better, on a harness they think they have to pull something.
Also two flouresent coats in case of a breakdown.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts