Dogs on leads

Apr 17, 2005
Visit site
Over the last 3 years I have been an avid reader of Practical Caravan and have read many articals about dogs on camp sites. In March Chris and I gave up our jobs in education to start a new life working on a caravan park in Devon. We are one of the few sites that allow dogs on the park in this area. We came into the business with a completely open mind but have been shocked at the number of irresponsible dog owners we encounter. The site provides a dog walk and a field where dogs can be excersied off the lead. The only rules are that while dogs are on the site they must be kept on the lead under control and any fouling cleared away in the bins provided. These rules are outlined to everyone by the reception staff and the site has lots of signs to remind dog owners of the site rules. Although it may be a minority of dog owners who "let the side down" we have to talk to a significant number of dog owners during the course of the week who do not follow these simple rules. I can now clearly understand why sites do not allow dogs. Even when asked politely to put their dog on a lead some people become argumentative and aggressive. This has been the most significant "down" of our new job. So dog owners get your act together, stop whinging, make sure other dog owners abide by the simple rules or you will loose more and more sites and it will be your fault!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just come back from the Land Rover event at Billing - great time -wonderful weather. We took two dogs and kept them on leads and under control.

Sadly a few yards from us was a family with two dogs one of which they allowed to roam free and poo where it wanted. On two occaisions it did this right by our awning and our friends tent. At no time did the owners seem bothered by what the dog got up to and never came over to clear up the mess.

It also barked constantly when left on its own.

Sadly it seems the old 80/20 rule applies with the majority being sensible and the minority spoiling it for all.

My advice would be for camp site owners to get their customers to sign an agreement that the dog mess will be cleared up and that the dog will be kept on a lead. If they break the agreement at least you would have some kind of leverage to enforce better behaviour on the dog owner.

A well trained dog with a sensible owner should NOT be a problem to other campers.

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
We have also just returned from our weekend away at beacon fell view in preston, we have two dogs wich are always on the lead on site and when outside the van they are kept on slightly longer leads tied to a ground anchor with enough lead to allow the dogs to get under the van for shade and to get to theire water bowl. this weekend we had to put up with two irish outfits that had 4 yorki terriers between them, for the whole of the weekend these dogs continuously barked despite complaints to the owners, this in its self gave the anti dog campers enough ammo to start an anti dog campaign on site but then a camper from the tent field came walking his dog round the vans and when challenged to pick up the mess his dog had just done right in front of our van he blatently lied and said his dog had not done it ? we had watched him ourselves as had other people but he just walked away and left the mess. we complained to the site who put a note on the computer not to accept any more bookings from this person and later on that night we returned his dogs mess to his tent pitch for disposal. out of 86 pitches this weekend aprox half had dogs wth them and only these three people caused any concern but three is too many. its time for heavy fines and bans from parks.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I would not argue with the experiences others mention as I have witnessed them myself, what I would object to is the 'rule' "leads at all time".

On a recent trip to the new CC site in Cheddar I was pleased to read the top line of their 'rules' on animals, "must be kept under control at all time" which may include the use of a lead though given what's been said.. perhaps not on the dog!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As I posted some time ago.

The obvious answer is

A stuffed dog on wheels, it can be taken for walks,

cuddled when off the wheels.

no food, no noise, no c**p.

roger

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Clearly the advantage with having the dog on a lead is that it is demonstably under control and either "attached" to the owner or a solid bit of the 'van or car.

Our dogs are quite happy to be on the lead - you only have to rattle the lead in our house to get their full attention!

On holiday we trained them to accept a degree of restriction. They are happy with this. I hope I never cause problems for others with my dogs as it is my choice to have them not anybody elses.

I agree that bans and evictions would focus the attention of these irresponcible dog owners but wonder how it would be enforced.

I also am concerned that having witnessed the "bottom scrapping" antics of this dog at Billing, it may have had worms. The consequences for children playing on the same ground is not good.

The horse world has for a long time insisted that if you keep your horse at a stable it MUST be wormed as one unwormed animal can infect all the others with ease.

I am tempted to suggest that a camp site owner could ask for documentation proving that the dog has been wormed before accepting the booking. I could provide that for both dogs without a problem. This may put of the more irrisponcible owners that if they could not be bothered to worm their dog would probably prove to be the nightmare dog owners described above.

Lets face it - we will all suffer if this bad behaviour is allowed.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

The obvious answer is

roger
Oh God - another Troll with too much time on his hands

Why don't you do something useful with your time - you clearly have an excess

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I am the owner of a rescue dog, 5 year old staff/bull terrier cross. She is a much loved pet and I have done quite a bit of dog training with her and I have studied canine psychology as a result of her behaviour.

I personally think whilst on campsites, dogs should be on leads at all times not only for the dog mess issue. The reason I say that is because although my dog loves humans, she is dangerous around other dogs and would I am sure fight to the death with a dog if she had the chance. She is always muzzled in public places and always on a lead, I cannot allow her to approach any dog as past experience tells me that she will eventually have a go. The only time I let her off the lead is either in our pony's field or on an isolated beach/area where I can literally see for miles. Anyway, I'll get to the point now unfortunately, we are often approached by dogs which are off the lead with the owner not in sight. Given what I have just written, you can imagine the chaos. Only the other day, a bloke had his dog off the lead and when he eventually came into view, kept saying it was a friendly dog (even though it was becomming a nuisance by getting far too close to my dog) and he refused to put it back on the lead despite my warnings that my dog would attack it even though wearing a muzzle. Guess what happened?.......... Although my dog is nasty towards other dogs, she is always under my control and I cannot be held responsible for any dog off a lead which starts running around my dog or will not leave it alone.

Regarding the issue of clearing up dog mess, I think it's also a sign of the times where people are becomming more and more ignorant generally in life. Whilst on campsites, I agree that they should sign a declaration to clear up dog mess and if found not to, then be asked to leave the site.

lh

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site

The obvious answer is

roger
Hi Clive!! did you have a nice hol? Stinkys missed you I bet!!x

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Tina - Yes had a great time with the boys and their toys and my wife had a great time with the plastic!

The weather was great and for once the only rain seen is now on our return!!

Thankfully Stinky Pete and I seem to have resolved our differences. Sadly he took my robust defence of MY opinion vis. his, personally which was never my intention. I believe in being fair to all and live and let live.

Not keen on people who try to inforce their will or opinions on me - many years of dealing with the "great Brittish public" means I often bite back.

Genuinely feel the "anti this" and "anti that" brigade have had it their own way too long.

What is it that makes some people so sure that they are right? I always remeber Arthur Scargil in a TV interview "Don't confuse me withy the facts - my mind is made up".

Now planning next holiday long weekend for Sept - after the School holidays.

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Glad you had a great time ! I enjoyed your heated debates,thats what life is about,standing up for what you believe! Ive not been away for awhile so am counting the days to cornwall(13aug)and have booked henley on thames for october half term to go to legoland !!Tell your wife to keep up the good work as regards the plastic!!

Mar 27, 2005
Visit site
Hi All

Would agree with Clive on the 80/20. I have noticed on sites that a vast majority of dogs maintain a relatively low profile thanks to owners who probably appreciate that dogs are not everyone's cup of tea. This coupled with the fact some people, and children especially, are afraid of them. Full marks to them for considering others. Then there are the minority that seem to think that they and their dog should take precedence over every one and every thing.

I for one would not hesitate reporting an owner who did not clear up after his/her dog.

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi All

last two sites I went to had dogs next door,lovely people,not a problem!!

Unfortunately its society today,there are always those around who do not care about others,be it dogs,litter,roudy children,roudy adults the list is endless,its time the sites got tough and evicted people who ruin others holidays for the majority of us who try to be decent neighbours!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi All

last two sites I went to had dogs next door,lovely people,not a problem!!

Unfortunately its society today,there are always those around who do not care about others,be it dogs,litter,roudy children,roudy adults the list is endless,its time the sites got tough and evicted people who ruin others holidays for the majority of us who try to be decent neighbours!
Yes, see Paul's posting.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have a dog, but I think that they should be banned from campsites for the same reason that they're banned from childrens play areas.

It only takes one owner to let their dog deficate and to leave it, to really spoil someones day if not blind them.

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
The worst one I've seen ( and I have got a dog ) was last year in Cornwall I was sitting in my awning reading the paper and a woman walked past with a dog and it cocked its leg up against next door's awning' there was no attempt to pull it away I couldn't believe what I was seeing, this type of thing really gives dog owners a bad name and you cant blame people for getting annoyed with us.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Clive

Hope you had a good holiday, you've been missed!

I agree with most of your comments in your posting. However, I would like to respectfully point out that 'botom scraping' is normally a sign of compacted anal glands, not a sign of worms.

I think it would be an excellent idea to have to provide documentary evidence of recent worming and perhaps vaccinations too in fact, the more I think about it, the more feasible it seems.

Whilst I was up in Appleby for the horse fair in June, I stopped on a brilliant camp site but there were several dogs loose which left 'their presents' everywhere. The wardens did speak to the owners but as the campsite was overtaken with hundreds of travelling people, I think they were onto a losing battle (no disrespect to travellers intended).

I disagree with S Pete, don't ban dogs from campsites, I for one would struggle to find accommodation for my dog whilst away. I think this issue needs to be addressed correctly with individual campsites.

I wouldn't encourage anyone to tackle the owners directly, I think in the first instance speak to the wardens/campsite owners as previous postings advise.

In future, that's what I am going to do.

lh

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
I would pick any poo up,follow them back to their van and CHUCK IT ON THEIR AWNING ROOF!
I know I was speaking more generally!!how about then if you followed her and p***sed up her awning,I bet she'd be mortified,but pi** is pi** !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jul 18, 2005
Visit site
We have been going to various caravan sites with our dog since we got our caravan 3 months ago. This includes several very busy sites over Bank Holiday weekends and we didn't experience any of the problems described above. All the dogs we saw (including our own) were very well controlled and there was no dog poo in sight. We have a toddler and other children, and would be very upset and annoyed to experience the situations described above. I hope our luck continues. I really believe that this is a case of - as usual - the few spoiling it for the majority.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We went to Essex at the weekend - recommend Graces Fruit Farm a CL between Thaxted and Saffron Walden. On Saturday lunchtime we were in the garden of a pub with our dog, controlled and on a lead. There was a family with several children running riot in the garden. One of the children dopped his trousers and cr*pped. The father eventually came over and led him off. At no time did he even attempt to clear this up. As we left we wondered who the publican would be blaming for this.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Paul

What an amazing event! I know it is easy to be clever with hindsite but I immediatly thought that having always got "poo bags" and disposable gloves on me for the dogs, I would have been tempted to don these, pick up the kids poo and return it firmly but forcibly to the Father and Mother.

Incidently the "bizarre behaviour" my neighbour exhibited (as outlined above) was picking up cat and hedgehog poo from his front garden and throwing it at our cars and front doors.

He was cautioned under some very old law (possibly a bi-law) that forbids the throwing of feaces of any kind. SO BE VERY CAREFULL IF YOU FEEL TEMPTED TO THROW THE OFFENDING POO BACK!

You may find that it is you that has actually broken a law not them for just allowing a dog,child,subhuman being to cr*p indiscriminatly.

If you simply return what is theirs and they then throw it at you, whilst it would be undoubtably unpleasant, YOU would then be able to action against them.

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Good point Clive

ok so instead of throwing the poo I would place it neatly,squarly,and gently(no throwing)in the middle of their caravan step !!!!!! as for the kid he'd get it fed on a butty until he learnt how to act like a human !!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Morning Tina

Thanks for your welcome back - I did respond but I had a senior moment and it is a "comment to a comment" which means it hardly appears on this forum.

Yep, returning the cr*p firmly but whilst being polite is probably best. Also using a loud voice so all arround are left in no doubt as to what is going on.

It would be so easy to become the "bad guy" in such situations.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts