Domestic ovens

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Nothing to do with caravans.
A major upgrade at home this year. Two double Bosch ovens installed , built in. One is a combined oven , microwave , other is a master oven.
Neither perform as well as the old range unit nor the later short term Zanussi. Cracklomg doesn’t crisp up. We always feel the temperatures are well below the dialled in. We are going to complain to the Dealer and Bosch. The two units were Which? Best Buys!
Has anyone else experienced poor performance from this decades ovens?
Very weird , but in these models the door must be shut before they will power up🙃🙃

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We got rid of our Rangemaster range with its electric ovens and fitted an AEG gas cooker which is all gas except for the grill. It saved us so much on energy compared to the range that it will have paid fir itself within five years. That was based on the energy usage and cost before Ukraine arose. No complaints from the Boss regarding temperatures and it is very quiet too.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
We got rid of our Rangemaster range with its electric ovens and fitted an AEG gas cooker which is all gas except for the grill. It saved us so much on energy compared to the range that it will have paid fir itself within five years. That was based on the energy usage and cost before Ukraine arose. No complaints from the Boss regarding temperatures and it is very quiet too.
Only had a gas hob last 30, years . The rangemaster was electric ovens as was the last built in Zanussi. Looks like I’ll be speaking with Bosch this week

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm puzzled by your claim of gas ovens saving energy? Do you mean they saved the quantity of energy you used, or are you just looking at the price of the energy?

Because the gas oven requires a continual exchange of air and exhaust, it also continually looses the heat in the exhaust gasses. An electric oven does not need to exchange air so it is inherently more energy efficient. There is a similar argument for gas rings which also convect a great deal of wasted heat up the sides of pans.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
We got a new NEFF double built-in oven about two years ago. The fan oven is used most of the time. But this has a max temp of 200, and will not brown and crisp up the spuds for a nice roast. So for the last 10 minutes, we switch to the grill/fan setting and it can be ramped up to 250. Much better.

I thought our oven was not reaching the set temp, so purchased a Salter thermometer. This supported my theory. We got an engineer out who put the super diper tester on and it seems the oven works correctly.

John

Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I'm puzzled by your claim of gas ovens saving energy? Do you mean they saved the quantity of energy you used, or are you just looking at the price of the energy?

Because the gas oven requires a continual exchange of air and exhaust, it also continually looses the heat in the exhaust gasses. An electric oven does not need to exchange air so it is inherently more energy efficient. There is a similar argument for gas rings which also convect a great deal of wasted heat up the sides of pans.
My post referred to energy because that’s what I’m charged for, and the financial saving made by changing from an elderly range to a modern cooker. Compared to our Rangemaster range the AEG saved us money on our electric bills as the Rangemaster had gas hobs but all electric ovens. Obviously we now use more gas but our total energy bills reduced such that the AEG cooker would pay for itself in five years. The comparison was done over April to October now for two years. So variables associated with heating were not a factor.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The lower main Bosch is a “turbo fan “ electric oven. A fan blows cold air over an electric element. Hot exhaust air exits via vents at the front. Not dissimilar to gas??
Anyway that doesn’t solve my problem .
I‘ll follow up with Bosch plus JC suggestion using own thermometer

Reactions: otherclive

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts