Dometic RM729 1L

Nov 22, 2022
Visit site
We have a 2009 motorhome, owned for 12 months, fitted with the above...wondering if anyone has any recollection of a recall on this fridge? This weekend smoke started appearing from the fridge, husband quickly turned it off, leapt outside grabbing the fire extinguish, pulled off the vents and put out the smouldering inside of the wood panel that would certainly have become a much worse situation...Will be following up but wondering if somehow the vehicle missed a recall as had it not been for the smoke alarm it could have been very serious...

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Hi AliR and welcome.

Sounds very frightening. There was recently a post showing a motorhome going on fire in a petrol station. I would get in touch with Dometic directly. But also have it investigated to find out if it is an inherent fault or perhaps a failure or poor installation. Then take it from there.

At least no one was hurt, but not nice for you at all.

John

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Alir,

Welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry to read of your experience, it must have been quite alarming, I'm please neither of you were hurt in the incident.

I note the motorhome is a 2009 model which means its about 13 years old. In case you didn't know the annual habitation service does not include servicing of individual gas appliances like the fridge. It only covers basic function checks.

Unfortunately even though caravans and motorhomes are not used as intensively as domestic appliances but the do deteriorate through age and or insects or small mammals getting into them which may cause problems.

Regarding recalls, unlike motor vehicles where VOSA has processes to help with road vehicle safety recalls, they don't get involved with habitation equipment.

Generally if an appliance has a recall, the manufacturer will attempt to contact owners directly, but once a caravan has been sold secondhand the new owners are virtually impossible to trace, so they will usually put notices in the news papers.

So as JCL has suggested contacting Dometic will be the best bet.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Welcome to the Forum AliR.
These kind of events are quite frightening but shouldn’t put you off.

Was the fridge running on gas or 230v?

Assuming the fridge was part of an annual habitation check, any fault with the gas flame, flue should have been detected. I have no knowledge of any product recall. Check as suggested.

You say you have had the vehicle 12 months. Did it come with a FSH?

Sadly even well maintained items can catch fire or I suspect in your case some external body part , dust, dirt , may have dropped too close to the heat exchanger causing ignition.

Hope you find the cause and get it sorted.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi AliR and welcome.

Sounds very frightening. There was recently a post showing a motorhome going on fire in a petrol station. I would get in touch with Dometic directly. But also have it investigated to find out if it is an inherent fault or perhaps a failure or poor installation. Then take it from there.

At least no one was hurt, but not nice for you at all.

John
John,
I just wondered what you meant by “an inherent fault”?

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forum Alir did you buy the motorhome from a dealer did it have any service history i am pleased no one was hurt like what someone says check with Dometic

Nov 22, 2022
Visit site
Thanks all, yes fully serviced, have had someone give it a cursory glance and it is a part failure...no external factors influenced by maintenance etc...Will contact Dometic as suggested, just want to prevent this happening to someone else, at the least had we not been in it then likely we would have lost the van, worst...our lives! Thanks again

Reactions: Jcloughie
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks all, yes fully serviced, have had someone give it a cursory glance and it is a part failure...no external factors influenced by maintenance etc...Will contact Dometic as suggested, just want to prevent this happening to someone else, at the least had we not been in it then likely we would have lost the van, worst...our lives! Thanks again

Which part?

There is a long history of this type of fridge, so I 'm surprised when you say a part failure and inferring it may be a common problem.

I'm sorry to refer back to my earlier post, but when you say "fully Serviced" did that include a fridge service ( not just an operational check) of the fridge?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts