Dometic RM7xxx fridge lock

Aug 5, 2022
Visit site
Our 15yo Dometic fridge self opens if you tow, necessitating taping of the lock slide to hold it in the lock position to avoid the fridge contents going everywhere. I’ve pictured the fridge and lock below. The lock is a pretty common Dometic slide type on top of the door In the middle. The lock control slides very freely from side to side, moving the metal two position lock fork easily. Probably too easily, I imagine wear has made the pivot less grippy and that’s why it doesn’t stay shut with vibration? I see the lock for sale as parts though I’m not clear if replacement is actually needed or whether I can do anything to fix what we have. It is entirely unclear to me how the lock comes off the door, my third photo shows some gentle prising at the rear that achieves nothing other than bending the plastic covering the pivot arm. I don’t want to snap any plastic parts. Any repair/replacement advice would be very much appreciated. Steve

3395E618-DB60-4AD1-BB51-C85CD4D8B3C9.jpeg01898396-3FE8-4A96-AA02-0662ECA0BA49.jpeg79721D47-8637-4DBB-9A44-FBED74004F07.jpeg

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Sorry can’t answer your question directly, but just to say that I use a couple of plastic door wedges, one inside and one outside, to wedge my fridge door open when not in use so perhaps similar could offer you a temporary solution.
Otherwise is if possible that the fridge door has dropped a little over the years rather than a catch problem, mine had to be adjusted as a slight drop had caused misalignment and it wasn’t switching off the int light when closed.

Reactions: SteveW
Aug 5, 2022
Visit site
Sorry can’t answer your question directly, but just to say that I use a couple of plastic door wedges, one inside and one outside, to wedge my fridge door open when not in use so perhaps similar could offer you a temporary solution.
Otherwise is if possible that the fridge door has dropped a little over the years rather than a catch problem, mine had to be adjusted as a slight drop had caused misalignment and it wasn’t switching off the int light when closed.
Thanks. If the lock does need to come off looking at the spare part on eBay now suggests there is a screw under the slider that holds it on. I wonder if that slider pulls off forwards or some other way. I will look when I get chance.

Steve

Jun 6, 2006
Visit site
The black slider unclips, this will leave the metal slider, it maybe just wants the screw on the swivel that need tightening.
When you put the black slider back on line up the groove on the slider and the spike on the pivot

Reactions: SteveW
Aug 5, 2022
Visit site
The black slider unclips, this will leave the metal slider, it maybe just wants the screw on the swivel that need tightening.
When you put the black slider back on line up the groove on the slider and the spike on the pivot
Thanks Martin that’s really helpful. I didn’t want to break the slider but will work on prising it off. I wondered if that attachment screw might be the key to setting the stiffness of the slider,

Steve

Aug 5, 2022
Visit site

Just adding an image for anyone else needing it in future. Yes the slider pulls off the direction of pull should be at about 45 degrees to the top door surface, it’s a clip on part. Underneath is the screw pictured which tightened up the slider nicely. Thanks again,

Steve

F7E3B9C1-E0EB-4FAC-89C4-8E1E2E955C7F.jpeg

Reactions: Bluetonic and Mel

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts