Dometic series 10 fridge freezer (left or right hand door opening)

Jul 15, 2023
Visit site
Does anyone have this Dometic series 10 fridge freezer (left or right hand door opening)?

When we picked up the new van the door was damaged so they replaced it. However, looking at the instruction manual, it shows door locks at top and bottom, ours doesn’t have them and just wondered if they don’t supply anymore or whether they forgot to re attach?

Also, we’re not too happy with the door alignment, you have to physically push the door shut towards the bottom to make sure its completely secure. I just wondered if that’s normal? Our previous model Dometic fridge freezer closed perfectly and had no issues and remained completely flush to the frame by closing at the top of the door.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Fridges and freezers need to have secure seals. If it doesn't seal properly, the performance of the appliance will suffer and it will frost up more quickly. If ypur not happy with the way its been repaired, use your statutory consumer rights (CRA 2015) and ask you seller to fix the problem.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Does anyone have this Dometic series 10 fridge freezer (left or right hand door opening)?

When we picked up the new van the door was damaged so they replaced it. However, looking at the instruction manual, it shows door locks at top and bottom, ours doesn’t have them and just wondered if they don’t supply anymore or whether they forgot to re attach?

Also, we’re not too happy with the door alignment, you have to physically push the door shut towards the bottom to make sure its completely secure. I just wondered if that’s normal? Our previous model Dometic fridge freezer closed perfectly and had no issues and remained completely flush to the frame by closing at the top of the door.
This is a major problem on the series 10 fridge and there have been complaints of the door falling off while the caravan is in transit. Apparently in Coachmans it was a serious issue. The caravan is new and your complaint was obviously made within the first thirty days so the dealer needs to resolve the issue. Don't try resolving it yourself unless the dealer instructs you in writing otherwise they could void the warranty on the fridge.

Reactions: Robbo4545
Jul 15, 2023
Visit site
Oh my! I too have now read about all the issues re the Dometic fridge-freezer and now paranoid! We are away in our van as I write this and just read a section on the Dometic instructions warning about maximum weight in the door. Went immediately to the fridge to see what we have in the door..argh!!! 2 x 4 litre bottles of milk, each weighing 4kg! So our door, along with a couple coke cans and other bits and bobs must be 50% over weight. What an eye opening, will be re-stocking it now more carefully.

Attachments

• IMG_3931.jpeg
    IMG_3931.jpeg
    142.1 KB · Views: 9
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Oh my! I too have now read about all the issues re the Dometic fridge-freezer and now paranoid! We are away in our van as I write this and just read a section on the Dometic instructions warning about maximum weight in the door. Went immediately to the fridge to see what we have in the door..argh!!! 2 x 4 litre bottles of milk, each weighing 4kg! So our door, along with a couple coke cans and other bits and bobs must be 50% over weight. What an eye opening, will be re-stocking it now more carefully.
Thanks for the reply Robbo, it is very nice to have someone to hold their hands up and state that they got something wrong , which could cause the problem. The number of times I have "asked" Mrs H to put the milk carton on the shelf closest to the hinge to stop the door from dropping.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
This raises another CRA point. If the door has spaces for things like multiple bottles and other items, and yet if a reasonable person were to use the door as the spaces suggest, and it turns out to be too heavy, then is the door fit for purpose?

Also if a freezer is not provided with shelves, would a reasonable person think its fit for purpose?

Both matters the seller is responsible for under the CRA.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I used to cringe at what my wife used to put in the fridge. Numerous times I had to bring to her attention that they do have shops in Scotland and lovely big supermarkets in France.. My phrase would be “ Operation Minimise” is live. What a waste of breath.

Jul 15, 2023
Visit site
This raises another CRA point. If the door has spaces for things like multiple bottles and other items, and yet if a reasonable person were to use the door as the spaces suggest, and it turns out to be too heavy, then is the door fit for purpose?

Also if a freezer is not provided with shelves, would a reasonable person think its fit for purpose?

Both matters the seller is responsible for under the CRA.
Am I being too simplistic in thinking that strengthening the hinge would resolve this issue🤔

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Unfortunately or fortunately a fridge is built to keep goods cool so whether it has no shelves or 10 shelves it is still fit for purpose.

As for weight on the door, one would think that common sense would prevail, however it is easy to forget about the weight of items in the door and we are guilty of losing Mr Common Sense at times. :D

We would normally have the 3 litre milk and a 2 litre soft drink bottle in the bottom of the door plus of course the stuff like margarine, cheese which added up together may take us over the 7kg. Our 8 series does not have that warning in the manual.

The issue her eis that items like 2L bottles cannot stand upright inside the fridge whether domestic or in the caravan. Once opened we are not keen for the bottles to lie on their sides.

Jul 15, 2023
Visit site
Unfortunately or fortunately a fridge is built to keep goods cool so whether it has no shelves or 10 shelves it is still fit for purpose.

As for weight on the door, one would think that common sense would prevail, however it is easy to forget about the weight of items in the door and we are guilty of losing Mr Common Sense at times. :D

We would normally have the 3 litre milk and a 2 litre soft drink bottle in the bottom of the door plus of course the stuff like margarine, cheese which added up together may take us over the 7kg. Our 8 series does not have that warning in the manual.

The issue her eis that items like 2L bottles cannot stand upright inside the fridge whether domestic or in the caravan. Once opened we are not keen for the bottles to lie on their sides.
Remembering of course you can’t put heavy milk/soft drinks on the shelves, just the fixed bottom shelf according to the Dometic warning 🤦‍♂️.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Remembering of course you can’t put heavy milk/soft drinks on the shelves, just the fixed bottom shelf according to the Dometic warning 🤦‍♂️.

I wonder if the shelves for the 8 series will fit the 10 series. We will be going to our caravan tomorrow if you want me to check.

Jul 15, 2023
Visit site
I wonder if the shelves for the 8 series will fit the 10 series. We will be going to our caravan tomorrow if you want me to check.
Thanks Buckman but don’t worry. We have 3 shelves in fridge and although they didn’t supply the freezer shelf, it’s not really an issue, in fact to be honest we’re finding it better to pack given all the awkward shapes and sizes. It was more the principle that paying so much for the van they scrimp on a shelf. Had they offered it at cost it wouldn’t have been so bad but to add P&P was an insult! Thanks again for the offer. 👍

Reactions: Buckman
Apr 25, 2024
Visit site
Sorry, may be out of date. My coachman lusso 2, 2023, has the series 10 fridge and the door has fallen off some 10 times whilst opening it. The last time, it fell on my big toe and seriously damaged it (not quite broken).
Being fixed with suggestion pins were bent. Did I overload it? Don't know, did I not close it properly, don't think so. It is a weak and poor design. Never had to wear safety boots to open fridge before.
I future we will have to adopt a buddy buddy procedure when we close and open the fridge door.😳
Otherwise the fridge and freezer are ace.

Jul 15, 2023
Visit site
Sorry, may be out of date. My coachman lusso 2, 2023, has the series 10 fridge and the door has fallen off some 10 times whilst opening it. The last time, it fell on my big toe and seriously damaged it (not quite broken).
Being fixed with suggestion pins were bent. Did I overload it? Don't know, did I not close it properly, don't think so. It is a weak and poor design. Never had to wear safety boots to open fridge before.
I future we will have to adopt a buddy buddy procedure when we close and open the fridge door.😳
Otherwise the fridge and freezer are ace.
I’m jinxed with this damn fridge. Although we always lock the internal doors when travelling, the door flew open somehow and the door handle bashed into the fridge door. I think it’s an omen! 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

TRENDING THREADS