Dongling

Oct 19, 2007
Visit site
When accessing the internet via our dongle it appears there is only one place in the van where I can get a connection, regardless of where the van is sited. Unfortunately this is in the far right hand corner of the van which means I have to sit on the fixed bed. I just wondered if anyone has any idea why this may be? I wondered if the tracker or alarm device interferes with the dongle signal but surely this would only be the case if the tracker or alarm is armed, ie. when we leave the van? Maybe it is something in the build of the van, just wondering does anyone else have the same problem?

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
i have found i get the best signal on the front chest of drawers , using a bunch of bananas to hold the dongle in the fruit bowl by the front sloping window , using the bananas i can twist it to any angle

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Well I would expect the tracking system's "mobile phone" is on 24 x 365, irrespective of whether its armed or not so it might be the issue. Mine certainly interferers with the entertainment system and my laptop but as far as I know not my dongle.
I suspect the issue is more to do with being in a metal box that is shielding the signal, only allowing it access via windows.
If I have issues I put my Dongle on an extension USB lead and hanging it out of whichever window to get the strongest signal.

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
I also find I get a better signal if I use a USB extension. Having said that it is still like watching paint drying waiting to get connected to the NET.

Mar 27, 2010
Visit site
Hi I have the Orange dongle and can use it anywhere in the caravan or outside. I also just fit itinto the computor USB socket without the need for an extension. Try this model. I pay 15 pound a month and get unlimited internet and it doesn,t take that long to get connected either. Suggest you all change to Orange. No I dont work for Orange I,m just a happy internet customer..

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have a 3 dongle and find it works well most of the time. There have been occasions when I can't get a signal but these are few and far between. In the van, it works best on the front locker, with the extension cable (this is recommended in the instructions) - I think it's generally best near windows. My parents have one for home use, and it doesn't work in their spare room at all, but works fine elsewhere, so you are not alone.

Which make do you have?

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Hi, we used a Vodafone dongle for two weeks in Devon recently, worked well anywhere in the Caravan. No interference with the Tv signal unlike my Blackberry.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Hope someone can shed some light on this for me!!
I've got a Vodaphone dongle and have never managed to connect anywhere I've been this summer - Instructions said it will start up automatically once installed - but I've left it "thinking" about connecting for up to 40 minutes without success.
Are there any IT types out there who can say if there's something I may not have done or need to do to get connected?
Keep it simple though as I'm not a techi !

Mar 29, 2005
Visit site
LADA said:
Hope someone can shed some light on this for me!!
I've got a Vodafone dongle and have never managed to connect anywhere I've been this summer - Instructions said it will start up automatically once installed - but I've left it "thinking" about connecting for up to 40 minutes without success.
Are there any IT types out there who can say if there's something I may not have done or need to do to get connected?
Keep it simple though as I'm not a techi !
yes i can,i have had two faulty ones and now on the third dongle which is ok.the first i spent 3 hours trying to get going.sent it back and got another by post.the second was the same,said no connection.took it to a vodafone shop he spent believe it or not over two and a half hours trying to get it going after which he said its faulty you need a new one.when there two persons came in with just the same problems.looks like a faulty batch of dongles..there was a guy in the blackpool shop with the same,not being able to get Internet.so ring vodafone and ask for new one.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Amazing... I must have gone back to the same shop as you Vauxhal.
Expected to be in there maybe 15 mins explaining the issue and having it swapped but took them 2 hours 10 mins to do it and two others came in with same problem while I was sat there.
The replacement works a treat but suspect it's the type which wipes any remaining credit after 30 days whereas the one I hsd originally kept going provided you logged on regularly until it needed topping up.
Anyway, I was so pee'd off after two hours in the shop I just took it - it'll only be used when away in the 'van but I can't say much for Vodafones customer care training.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts