Doom and Gloom

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Perhaps it's value judgements attached to posts relating to political points that are the problem?
It's a fine line for moderators to delineate.
e.g "Caravan costs are rising because of inflation." OK
" Caravan costs are rising because of inflation caused by the government." NOT OK
I don't envy you in having to do that!
It boils down to the likelihood of a forum argument breaking out if someone raises a specific point involving a political element PTA.
I don't have a problem when forum members disagree about any aspect of caravanning, but when politics rears it's ugly head emotions can spill over into the thread under discussion.
This can be upsetting for those who disagree with each other and to be honest, time consuming for moderators.
If we have to intervene, quite often this can involve an off forum exchange of messages or emails containing explanations and guidance.
This can be followed by an exchange of emails with forum admin if an appeal is lodged.
This sort of thing can eat into a significant portion of ones day.
It's easier to n-i-p it all in the bud before it flares up into a time consuming imposition on daily life 😊

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It boils down to the likelihood of a forum argument breaking out if someone raises a specific point involving a political element PTA.
I don't have a problem when forum members disagree about any aspect of caravanning, but when politics rears it's ugly head emotions can spill over into the thread under discussion.
This can be upsetting for those who disagree with each other and to be honest, time consuming for moderators.
If we have to intervene, quite often this can involve an off forum exchange of messages or emails containing explanations and guidance.
This can be followed by an exchange of emails with forum admin if an appeal is lodged.
This sort of thing can eat into a significant portion of ones day.
It's easier to n-i-p it all in the bud before it flares up into a time consuming imposition on daily life 😊
“n-i-p” as taught to me recently 👍

Reactions: Parksy
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I've heard elsewhere that fuel duty will rise by 23% in April, an increase of12p/litre.
The recent 5p reduction was only for 12 months but Forbes has mentioned a 23% rise in March 2023, but their article doesn't reference a definitive statement by HMG Chancellor. Could it be conjecture or is it really hidden in the fine print. It seems to be an OBR projection. But I would expect the AA and RAC to be vocal in their condemnation if it is true.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I was hoping that some one could tell me the best tea light candles to buy, at the moment using Sainsbury's ones, they last about 2 hours burning. Not for the heat just the ambience.
My wife brought some from Home Bargains
8 hour Tealight candle (bag of 25) £2.49

Reactions: Hutch

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
We have a section labeled Chit-Chat which should really be used for non caravan topics such as this, rather than just posting in the General section.

So, if I've done it right I've moved it there.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
You can bulk buy the tea lights in places like The Range, Wilkos, and even I think IKEA so you may be able to compare unit prices online as a diversion from thinking about the COLC !!!

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
You can bulk buy the tea lights in places like The Range, Wilkos, and even I think IKEA so you may be able to compare unit prices online as a diversion from thinking about the COLC !!!
We use them as a visual diversity in the lounge, a 4 hour one would be great, that way just not having to replace them during the evening.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Like mpg ratings for cars we've found that the burn time of candles seldom meets whats stated on the packet or ad. Recently we saw some tea lights in the supermarket - 100 for £4. They were much thinner than those that we've bought elsewhere and no burn time given. Found many not happy reviews that suggest 1hr.

We used to buy unscented Soy wax candles but these are £26 for 75 at 7h burn time. Never got the 7 hours but long enough for us. We now think twice about them.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Like mpg ratings for cars we've found that the burn time of candles seldom meets whats stated on the packet or ad. Recently we saw some tea lights in the supermarket - 100 for £4. They were much thinner than those that we've bought elsewhere and no burn time given. Found many not happy reviews that suggest 1hr.

We used to buy unscented Soy wax candles but these are £26 for 75 at 7h burn time. Never got the 7 hours but long enough for us. We now think twice about them.
Apart from emergency use we have never lit candles in the house. We have a large pack of tea lights and some conventional candles in the garage. . Neither of us have any breathing conditions but even so why burn something that emits micro particles into the atmosphere of your home. These days our first response in the event of a power outage is rechargeable led lamps, power packs and torches located around the house, supported by a generous supply of Varta batteries from Screwfix.

Reactions: RogerL

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Polution from candles, such as it is, was one of the reasons for buying Soy Wax candles. However, our ventilation system takes care of any 'smoke' issues that may arise.

We use them for ambience. It makes the place look and feel cozy.

Jul 25, 2021
Visit site
I won't allow candles in the house, have seen the damage they can do if they are left/forgotten about, not put out correctly etc etc. be very careful. Just been reading about the Winsor Castle fire £36 Million repair bill, caused by a curtain pulled across a spotlight.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Candles do need to e watched. We only use full size ones in a 5 candle, candle stick in the main, although we have some Yankee ones in glass bottles Both should be safe if used correctly.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Candles do need to e watched. We only use full size ones in a 5 candle, candle stick in the main, although we have some Yankee ones in glass bottles Both should be safe if used correctly.
If you read the 2000 US EPA report on candles it seems that using them within a glass /pot enclosure exacerbates any emissions be they micro particles or chemicals. Paraffin wax ones are not as good as other types IE soy. Admittedly the risk from emissions is low so no need to poop on the party. Our local priest still seems okay.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts