Double Bed "L" Layout

Nov 17, 2005
Visit site
Can anyone advise on the making up of the double bed in an "L" shape layout. I am thinking of changing to one,and would like to hear any comments

Regards Ray

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You will just have to experiment with the cushions you have Ray. It is more time consuming with an L shaped front lounge (drove me to a fixed bed) and you may not use all the soft furnishings for your bed, just take your time and try not to drink to heavily before making it.

Oct 28, 2005
Visit site
Hiya Ray, we bought an Elldis with a fixed bed and an "L" shaped lounge.

While the bed in the lounge is easy to make up, we very much regret the "L" shape layout as you seem to loose the "cosy" feeling and if you have a pitch with a nice view to the front, one of you ends up with your back to it.

Think hard mate, we were tempted by the feeling of space, but as i said, we REALLY regret it.

Tim

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi ray we didn't like the l shaped lounge as we do use the parrell settes as twinbeds with the small chest between which is easy reach for books tea etc, regards peter

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi ray we didn't like the l shaped lounge as we do use the parrell settes as twinbeds with the small chest between which is easy reach for books tea etc, regards peter
Hi Ray

We dislike the L lounge as the window seat means turning your head sideways to view TV [or you have your feet in someones ear]. Parallel seats are best for 'conking off' - holding hands - TV watching - easy bed making etc.

Others love them of course.

Good luck

Mike

Jun 5, 2005
Visit site
Ray

Contrary to Tims reply we have an L shaped lounge in ouElddis and love it so much so wont even look at any van without the L

Our L has slats that pull out easily across the front width to make up and its no more awkward after that than any other cushion shuffle to make the bed

Most times though we only pull the slats half way and hubby sleeps on the wider pulled out section,slightly diagonally and I use the leg of the l this way neither of us has to climb over the other to get in or out of bed ,its big enough for both of us that way without kicking each other all night

I like the long window in ours and if the view to the front is so good then park with the big window facing it theres still space for both to sit with our feet up during the day on each leg of the L and have even been known for one to have a quick forty winks in comfort

Get an L you'll love it

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ray

Our Avondale Landranger has an L-shaped layout. We previously had a side-by=side layout.

We don't have any trouble fitting the cushions in to make up the bed. After experimenting we tend to use the seat backs at the bottom of the bed - our feet don't notice the joins!!

We like the L layout for a number of reasons.

(1) The big long window is good for views - we aim to have that end facing the view sometimes pushing the van in that way.

(2) It makes the caravan seem more spacious. Max our collies has his day bed under the big window. We'd be always tripping over him in a narrower space.

(3) There is plenty of room for us both to put ouf feet up on the legs of the L and watch the TV.

On the downside we had some problems with bed. The space between the settee and far wall which had the runners for the bed slats is is obviously widerthan in a parallel layout and (oddly) got wider further away from the front of the van. The slats, therefore, tended to come off the runners, even breaking the plastic runner on one occasion.

I'm a big (heavy) bloke and so I added 2 extra plywood legs to the underside of the slats. They are hinged and fold up when the slats are slid away during the day. These legs run parallel to the sides of the caravan for the length of the pull out section and are spaced equidistantly across the "gap". These legs are much better than the pathetic centre leg that came with the 'van. Much improved bed stability.

L layout for us every time. I would, however, say that when eating around the big table if there more than 3 that the side-by-side layout has advantages. We now, however, are usually just the 2 of us as the kids have flown the nest.

Happy 'vanning

Tim

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts