Dover stopover before catching ferry

Aug 14, 2009
Visit site
Does anyone have a recommendation for a place to stop and sleep near Dover. We plan to leave the Midlands late Tuesday evening and our ferry is Wednesday morning. Thus avoiding driving through either rush hour.

Any suggestions appreciated,

Tony

Dec 7, 2006
Visit site
Hi, we're off to Dover from South Wales next week. We'll park up overnight on Marine Parade. We've done this before and it's ideal as only a few minutes from the port. As we won't be arriving 'till late there's no point booking a site.

Homer

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
Hi Tony

We travel down from the North West of England. For the last 2 years we have stayed at Little Switzerland near Folkestone. It is quite a small, peaceful site but has super views over the English Channel. It does not have any sort of gate or barrier and so is ideal for late arrivals and/or early departures. They usually have room as they have a rapid turnover of Continental and UK travellers travelling in opposite directions. We just phone up on the way down and reserve a pitch. It cost us c

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
Look up CLs in the CC book for Capel le Ferne. There is one just north of the CLF-Folkstone road and just west of the A20. It is a bit rough (grass usually needs cutting) but it has a tap.

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
Look up CLs in the CC book for Capel le Ferne. There is one just north of the CLF-Folkstone road and just west of the A20. It is a bit rough (grass usually needs cutting) but it has a tap.

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Hi,I can recommend the cc site The Black Horse Farm in Densole,it's well run and they're friendly and only 15mins from port.Also did the Marine Parade when we had a motor caravan.

Paul L......

Feb 5, 2008
Visit site
Hi, I can recommend Little Satmar in Capel-le-ferne, 5 mins from Dover - a lovely site. I can also recommend a cl in Whitfield, but am really sorry as I can't remember the name of it, it was on singledge lane - we have used this a few times and it is really nice, again approx 5 mins from Dover.

Best wishes, Jonah.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi,I can recommend the cc site The Black Horse Farm in Densole,it's well run and they're friendly and only 15mins from port.Also did the Marine Parade when we had a motor caravan.

Paul L......
Black Horse Farm no longer allows early or late arrivals or departures.

May 5, 2005
Visit site
I understood Black Horse allowed early departures but not late arrivals now,rang them last year about it and thats what they said,may have changed tho.

Apr 25, 2008
Visit site
Hi Tony,

We use Marine parade all the time,we usually get there about 1930,The police patrol the parade every hour or so.You are right on the seafront,it is very pretty with the lights and the ferries going in and out.

Allen

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
jonah sugested a site well the details are below. Weve staid their a few times on a stopover for the ferry its great. If you let them know if your leaving early they put you by the entrance to save disterbing others. Lovely site.

Rosemount

Mrs M Keyser

Rosemount

Church Whitfield

Dover

CT16 3HZ

England

Telephone: 01304 821588

Web: www.rosemountcl.co.uk

Kevin

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Black Horse Farm no longer allows early or late arrivals or departures.
That's about right for an organisation that calls itself a club but is really a multi million pound conglomerate that couldn't give a stuff for the people it supposedly provides a service for.

Who did they ask before they imposed this on 'their' members.

Certainly I can imagine that they didn't put a notice on the umpteen members who used Black Horse as a staging post either before or after their holidays.

Bah Humbug!

Apr 25, 2008
Visit site
Hi Tony,

We use Marine parade all the time,we usually get there about 1930,The police patrol the parade every hour or so.You are right on the seafront,it is very pretty with the lights and the ferries going in and out.

Allen
and its FREE

Sep 26, 2006
Visit site
Hi we also have used the sea front overnight parking but have been moved on by police as the spaces allocated for caravans are limited and if you park in the wrong place they will make you move, not too good having to find somewhere at such short notice never mind having to drive out of Dover, why the ferry companies can't provide parking like they do in France. One option is to take a late night ferry and turn back when leaving the ferry and park overnight on the Frence ferry carpark and carry on into France refreshed. Just a thought!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Where does this information that Blackhorse Farm does not allow early departures come from? They have a dedicated area for people using the ferries which does not require you to go through any barriers. They don't allow arrivals (from the UK) after 8.00pm which is inline with their other campsites. I was there earlier in the year and as far as I was aware there had been no change in the way arrivals/departures were managed.

David

Sep 26, 2006
Visit site
Hi

it was late June this year never happened before so maybe it was just our luck, lets hope the use of the seafront by caravans is not withdrawn.

May 21, 2007
Visit site
Hi Tony,

I can recommend Little Houghton Court Farm. If you are in the caravan club it is on page 385 in the club sites book. Easy to find, arrive when you like,depart when you want.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts