Dovercourt caravan park, Harwich

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
We have been to Holland from Harwich for the last 3 years and have just stayed in the carpark where you get the ferry.It is secure and patrolled and pretty quiet as there are only the three boats a day as far as I know.
We took water in two 20 Litre containers as I couldnt lift the aquaroll when full and filled the water tank then had a shower in the morning before breakfast in the van.There are plenty of drains to empty the waste away.Breakfast on the boat was expensive and didnt look too good imho.

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
I've never stayed there but there are several CL / CS sites within a short drive of the ferry terminal.

I normally take the night ferry as I can get there after work and therefore get an extra day of holiday. I don't normally bother with breakfast on the ferry as I try to get the maximum sleep time ready for a long drive. I have always found the evening meals very good quality and reasonable value (for ferry prices).

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Hi Dave
If we were to stay at the docks, we would be looking to arrive mid afternoon, then pop into Harwich. Do you think it would be possible / safe to leave the van unatended

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
Hi,
as long as it is locked I can't see why not,the only people who go in there I would think are employees or customers.Ther is a large supermarket as you go into the dock estate ,Morrisons I think for fuel if you don't want to get it in Holland .I havent gone into Harwich but Sir Roger is a frequent visitor to Felixtowe and knows the area well.There was a traveller party on the morning crossing one year but to be fair there wasn't any cause for concern

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Deli Dave_ said:
Hi,
as long as it is locked I can't see why not,the only people who go in there I would think are employees or customers.Ther is a large supermarket as you go into the dock estate ,Morrisons I think for fuel if you don't want to get it in Holland .I havent gone into Harwich but Sir Roger is a frequent visitor to Felixtowe and knows the area well.There was a traveller party on the morning crossing one year but to be fair there wasn't any cause for concern

Thanks for the info Dave,
Do you know if diesel is cheaper here or in Holland

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
It was cheaper in the towns and there is a garage as you go out of the Hook of Holland but as I have had the van I didnt want to go into a garage til I had offloaded it.I think there was about 10p a litre difference last year so I would rather have a full tank.The boat offloads about 8.30 ish iirc from the night crossing but there didnt seem lots of traffic.We went to Delftse Hout ,if you go there the first time its a bit worrying as you go through a housing estate.Good luck its a lovely country to visit,hoping to go there again this year

Edited, Drivealive site shows diesel in Holand at 1.40 Euros,Uk showing 1.69 Euros in February

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Dave
We arrive about 1645, just in time for the rush hour but we have managed to book an ACSI site at Den Haag (about 45 mins away). They have agreed to post me a barrier key in case the reception is closed
smiley-smile.gif

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Willi Wonti Not sure which planet Dave is on I think Ill pop round and give him a slap. He sailed from Felixstowe ;last time cos I gave him directions to the docks I do believe its probably easier to cross from Felixstowe.
On our last visit to Felixstowe September last year Morrisons Deisel was about two pence cheaper than home .(daventry )
Just read thro your thread again ,if you sail from Felixstowe there is a caravan site a hundred yards from the docks.(Peewit Caravan Park)
If you need further help on this one ask Parksey for my E mail address.
( parksey its ok to give my e mail on this one if needed)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Its possible that we might want to take this route to Holland later in the year and so was interested in the replies. I wondered if anyone had stayed at The Strangers Home pub which has a small campsite. Its a bit further out than Dovercourt. Personally don't fancy a night on a carpark.

David

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
RE Felixstowe, what was the passenger ferry terminal is now a container terminal and the remaining roro bridges are No 3 and No 4 which are freight only unless you can wangle a ticket on the freighters. Many unhappy hours spent in the lanes waiting to board the old P+O ferries and being kept awake by refrigerated trailers in the next lane.

If you call the Stena port office in Harwich they will advise about staying on the terminal overnight but I'm not sure that they will encourage it.

TRENDING THREADS