draining water system

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Help! I have attempted to drain the water from my Sterling Europa and need a bit of advice. My hand book tells me to pull back on a collar on a drain tube under the caravan and remove the plasitc end. The plastic collar will not budge, I have sprayed with WD40 but still no movement, to add to this difficulty the length of tube is very short and will not allow me to get a good hold, any suggestions will be very welcome. Could I simply cut off the end and allow the water to drain out? would the yellow drain tap under the seat then be sufficient to hold water once the caravan is in use next summer? Many thanks.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Tony,

If you are referring to the 2 drain points in the water system just under the edge of the van we had the same problem, you need to push the outer collar back up towards the floor of the caravan and then pull the plug out, on our Abbey they are both red.We drain ours before travelling home after each stay away, you can travel with the plugs removed but you need to remember to put them back in before you fill your system again. I think the yellow valve is just a 'dump' valve to get rid of the water in the heater,the other 2 drain plugs allow you to drain the water from the pipes.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Tony, Firstly, don't cut anything. The yellow tap drains the hot water heater, the red bung drains the cold water from the pipes.(sometime you will have two red bungs, one for cold and one for hot). Look at the red bung, push it firmly into the connector and then pull it out again, you should see the black collar move in and out about 3mm with the red bung. This is the bit you need to hold in. Push the red bung in again and before you pull it out, hold the collar in position and the red bung should then pull right out.

Stuart.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
the drain bung that you refer to is red in colour,the connection is actually a tee-piece that has a small collar that you need to depress before you can remove the red bung, it can be quite stiff.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
first open all taps this will relieve pressure on system then open internal drain hang up shower tap to highest point. the blanking plug u=neath van is a spring loaded coupling so you need to depress it and pull complete unit off, hope you are successful, regards stuart

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Tony,

As previously advised,push the collar in whilst holding the rubber tube preveventing it going back up into the van.When the collar is pushed in the red bung should come out with a little coaxing.

I intend to replace the bung with a small plastic wine making valve ( costs about 20p)

Leave all drains and taps open during the winter.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts